Expired Hot Deals

[Newegg] Western Digital Blue SN550 NVMe M.2 2280 1TB $144.99

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 30th, 2020 8:31 am
Newbie
Mar 1, 2018
37 posts
36 upvotes
It's saying that the promo code is not valid. Anyone experiences this issue as well?

Also, I don't know much about ssd but I'm looking to build my first pc soon, what's the difference with a ssd cheap like that on amazon: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01K8A29E6/ref ... hFbAN42T7R ? I wonder if the western digital one is much faster and if I would notice it.

Thanks!
Sr. Member
Dec 29, 2013
820 posts
490 upvotes
Montr
Seph1123 wrote: If i don't have an M.2 slot, is it worth buying a PCI-adapter for it or will it just become a bottleneck?
This feels cheaper than a 1TB SSD.
No it’s not worth it in RFD spirit. Just buy a SATA SSD. The difference wrt PCIE is barely noticable
Sr. Member
Dec 29, 2013
820 posts
490 upvotes
Montr
SS76SS wrote: I guess depending on your needs, but for gaming and streaming, wouldn't you be better off with an 250gb SSD for the operating system, and a 1TB HDD for the programs? Would be a lot cheaper and considering the finite write cycles of SSDs vs infinite write cycles of HDDs
I don’t know about other people but I cannot endure the noises made by mechanical HDD anymore. Maybe I’m getting old and grumpy Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Tightly-closed Eyes
Sr. Member
Dec 29, 2013
820 posts
490 upvotes
Montr
stevensi1018 wrote: It's saying that the promo code is not valid. Anyone experiences this issue as well?

Also, I don't know much about ssd but I'm looking to build my first pc soon, what's the difference with a ssd cheap like that on amazon: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01K8A29E6/ref ... hFbAN42T7R ? I wonder if the western digital one is much faster and if I would notice it.

Thanks!
The one you linked is SATA interface and the transfer rate is lower. However the felt difference in everyday use is not that great. The reason I’d recommend against SATA SSD is that they are not cheaper by much. Currently maybe 10% cheaper ??
Newbie
Jun 10, 2020
7 posts
4 upvotes
My motherboard (Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3) doesn't have an M.2 slot and I recently bought a PCI-E X4 Adapter card along with a WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD. Read/Write speeds are 3000+ MB/s.

Note: Your Bios has to support NVMe and you need an available PCI-E X4 slot that conforms to PCI Express 3.0 standard. Otherwise, if it's only gen 2 the read/write speeds will be bottlenecked at around 1500 MB/s. My motherboard only had one slot that supported gen 3 and it was occupied by my GPU so I had to swap them to get max speeds.

Adapter I purchased:
https://www.amazon.ca/Rivo-PCI-Adapter- ... B01N09W21D
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jun 15, 2011
41266 posts
6435 upvotes
veyron8424 wrote: My motherboard (Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3) doesn't have an M.2 slot and I recently bought a PCI-E X4 Adapter card along with a WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD. Read/Write speeds are 3000+ MB/s.

Note: Your Bios has to support NVMe and you need an available PCI-E X4 slot that conforms to PCI Express 3.0 standard. Otherwise, if it's only gen 2 the read/write speeds will be bottlenecked at around 1500 MB/s. My motherboard only had one slot that supported gen 3 and it was occupied by my GPU so I had to swap them to get max speeds.

Adapter I purchased:
https://www.amazon.ca/Rivo-PCI-Adapter- ... B01N09W21D
That's what I did too. Bought a PCI nvme card to put in my PCI E slot. Motherboard is an Asus P8Z77 - VLX or whatever and paired with a 500GB SN750 black with heat sink.
Proud to be an Indian.
__________________________________________________________________________
Incident/Cyber Breach Response|Malware Analyzer|Threat Intellligence
Sr. Member
Aug 14, 2015
816 posts
530 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
Promo code don't work. Should change price back to $159.99
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
2181 posts
243 upvotes
Toronto
Ya, sadly, deal appears to be dead as the coupon is now expired.
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
14527 posts
7428 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Seph1123 wrote: If i don't have an M.2 slot, is it worth buying a PCI-adapter for it or will it just become a bottleneck?
This feels cheaper than a 1TB SSD.
I converted my old Z77 motherboard (which has no native support for M.2) with an adapter and a BIOS upgrade and it works much faster than it did on a M500 SATA.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 11, 2006
2229 posts
875 upvotes
Seph1123 wrote: If i don't have an M.2 slot, is it worth buying a PCI-adapter for it or will it just become a bottleneck?
This feels cheaper than a 1TB SSD.
Buying a PCI adapter is actually bringing you closer to the CPU; it will not bottleneck you whatsoever. Do you have an SSD now? What motherboard do you have? If its an older motherboard (no M.2 slot) it may not even be set up for NVMe and you would lose some benefits, although the SD would still work.

The next question of course is that of task needs. Why do you want to upgrade? If you upgrade and are just doing typical everyday PC stuff such as surfing, email, word etc... you will observe no difference whatsoever because the 'speed boost' we see from SSDs comes primarily from seek time access first and foremost...which would be relatively the same between both SSDs.
----------------------------------------------
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2006
1787 posts
631 upvotes
BC
Desperadude wrote: No it’s not worth it in RFD spirit. Just buy a SATA SSD. The difference wrt PCIE is barely noticable
This is bad advice. Get an adapter for like $7 and get up to 3200MBps read instead of 550MBps.
Koodo: $40/5GB Unlimited Canada wide calling
Sr. Member
Apr 7, 2015
506 posts
332 upvotes
Vancouver Island
Timbo420 wrote: This is bad advice. Get an adapter for like $7 and get up to 3200MBps read instead of 550MBps.
It really isn't bad advice. Many SATA SSDs offer faster random 4k read speeds than lower-end NVME SSDs, which matter far more to the majority of users than these high short-term sequential reads/writes, which see rare use for most. The MX500, for example, is about neck-and-neck with the SN750 for random 4k, while having an MSRP 31% lower.

The SN550, being DRAM-less, is also going to have slower and slower seek speeds as it fills up. The benchmarks you see giving it random 4k speeds in the 40s are on nearly-empty drives, while that drops to the 20s as it fills. Suggesting that people should choose a budget NVME SSD + paying for an adaptor over getting a higher quality SATA SSD isn't necessarily the best choice. NVME drives are often the way to go, just not always.
Member
Aug 1, 2005
262 posts
149 upvotes
SS76SS wrote: I guess depending on your needs, but for gaming and streaming, wouldn't you be better off with an 250gb SSD for the operating system, and a 1TB HDD for the programs? Would be a lot cheaper and considering the finite write cycles of SSDs vs infinite write cycles of HDDs
If your game is texture heavy, and not gpu/cpu bound, it will load significantly faster from an SSD (e.g. Skyrim with many mods). This would apply to most games. SSDs degrade from many, many write cycles, and not from read cycles, so they are good for gaming. The next gen of consoles will all use SSDs.

The larger the drive, the more space available for wear leveling, which reduces the impact of writing to the drive and effectively extends its lifespan. I have not (yet) had a drive die due to too many write cycles, though I have had a controller die.

Top