[Newegg] Western Digital Blue SN550 NVMe M.2 2280 1TB $144.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 30th, 2020 8:31 am
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2013
4790 posts
2707 upvotes
Toronto
davidguy wrote: Wouldn’t this be a good deal as well? I personally prefer crucial above WD.

Crucial P1 1TB 3D NAND NVMe PCIe Internal SSD, up to 2000MB/s - CT1000P1SSD8 https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07J2Q4SWZ/ref ... hFb6R6XCF4
Why? Crucial doesn't have a controller division, WD does and both make their own NAND (WD bought Sandisk). Anyways, both the NAND and controller on the SN550 are better than on the P1, which uses QLC NAND vs TLC in the WD.
May 22, 2014
152 posts
144 upvotes
Toronto, ON
AncientWords wrote: It really isn't bad advice. Many SATA SSDs offer faster random 4k read speeds than lower-end NVME SSDs, which matter far more to the majority of users than these high short-term sequential reads/writes, which see rare use for most. The MX500, for example, is about neck-and-neck with the SN750 for random 4k, while having an MSRP 31% lower.

The SN550, being DRAM-less, is also going to have slower and slower seek speeds as it fills up. The benchmarks you see giving it random 4k speeds in the 40s are on nearly-empty drives, while that drops to the 20s as it fills. Suggesting that people should choose a budget NVME SSD + paying for an adaptor over getting a higher quality SATA SSD isn't necessarily the best choice. NVME drives are often the way to go, just not always.
Thanks for letting me know I didn't even notice it was Dram-less I had a dram-less ssd before and it was terrible I might get this and slap this into my 2014 MBP with the SATA adapter.
Apr 7, 2015
506 posts
332 upvotes
Vancouver Island
davidguy wrote: Thanks for letting me know I didn't even notice it was Dram-less I had a dram-less ssd before and it was terrible I might get this and slap this into my 2014 MBP with the SATA adapter.
The SN550 is probably the best DRAM-less drive on the market, and even near capacity it performs much better than any DRAM-less drives you've used before - I had just wanted to point out that SATA drives aren't dead yet. I'd still pick the MX500 or similar over it, but it's a great budget choice if the m.2 form factor is a must
Mar 26, 2010
150 posts
91 upvotes
dramless nvme performs way different than dramless sata
just because it’s dramless doesn’t mean it’s bad
this thing keeps up with my SN750 just fine (i have both) and it’s also been shown that way in reviews/benchmark too
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2003
9192 posts
1434 upvotes
Richmond Hill
AncientWords wrote: It really isn't bad advice. Many SATA SSDs offer faster random 4k read speeds than lower-end NVME SSDs, which matter far more to the majority of users than these high short-term sequential reads/writes, which see rare use for most. The MX500, for example, is about neck-and-neck with the SN750 for random 4k, while having an MSRP 31% lower.

The SN550, being DRAM-less, is also going to have slower and slower seek speeds as it fills up. The benchmarks you see giving it random 4k speeds in the 40s are on nearly-empty drives, while that drops to the 20s as it fills. Suggesting that people should choose a budget NVME SSD + paying for an adaptor over getting a higher quality SATA SSD isn't necessarily the best choice. NVME drives are often the way to go, just not always.
Any data to back up the claim? Sata on Par with nvme on random 4k??
Dec 29, 2013
820 posts
490 upvotes
Montr
jimmerz wrote: dramless nvme performs way different than dramless sata
just because it’s dramless doesn’t mean it’s bad
this thing keeps up with my SN750 just fine (i have both) and it’s also been shown that way in reviews/benchmark too
Is it still fast when filled up ? Thx
Apr 7, 2015
506 posts
332 upvotes
Vancouver Island
wlee wrote: Any data to back up the claim? Sata on Par with nvme on random 4k??

The bit about the SN550's performance dropping as it fills comes from a thread on here where somebody posted their crystaldiskmark stats for theirs, showing it had dropped from the 40s to the 20s, but I didn't save it.
Jan 24, 2016
95 posts
63 upvotes
Discount code no longer valid? I tried applying QNAS24CT44 and got invalid code.
Dec 5, 2018
212 posts
209 upvotes
Montreal
Hi, is this Corsair Force Series Gen.4 PCIe MP600 500GB NVMe M.2 SSD a one good NVME for the price? Supposedly the lowest as per CCC.
I'm pretty noob, just received my laptop from the Dell G5 deal and am looking to add extra space as just realized 500GB in the laptop are a bit short.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: Just responded to myself... amazon-ca-corsair-mp600-pci-4-0-500gb-n ... #p32787007
No benefit to it for a laptop (with 16gb also) from what I read.
Dec 29, 2013
820 posts
490 upvotes
Montr
JimmyC680 wrote: Hi, is this Corsair Force Series Gen.4 PCIe MP600 500GB NVMe M.2 SSD a one good NVME for the price? Supposedly the lowest as per CCC.
I'm pretty noob, just received my laptop from the Dell G5 deal and am looking to add extra space as just realized 500GB in the laptop are a bit short.

Thanks in advance!
It’s pcie 4. Would be a waste if your laptop does not have pcie 4
Also does it have space for the attached heatsink ?
Dec 5, 2018
212 posts
209 upvotes
Montreal
Desperadude wrote: It’s pcie 4. Would be a waste if your laptop does not have pcie 4
Also does it have space for the attached heatsink ?
thanks for the response. I didn't think of the required space for the heatsink either. I have yet to open the laptop, but seeing on forums for Dell G5, it seems there's not enough space for that kind of heatsink (opposed to Copper plates, which I don't know are useful or not -from my own logic, I'd say no as they wouldn't dissipate heat anywhere))
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2013
4790 posts
2707 upvotes
Toronto
JimmyC680 wrote: Hi, is this Corsair Force Series Gen.4 PCIe MP600 500GB NVMe M.2 SSD a one good NVME for the price? Supposedly the lowest as per CCC.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: Just responded to myself... amazon-ca-corsair-mp600-pci-4-0-500gb-n ... #p32787007
No benefit to it for a laptop (with 16gb also) from what I read.
Considering you bought a G5, I assume you primarily use your laptop as a gaming/general use machine? If so, you probably would be hard pressed to tell the difference between the Corsair and this WD, which is half the price, unless you sat there benchmarking it.