Western Digital -Green WDS100T2G0A 1 TB SSD (2.5" Internal SSD) - $99

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 31st, 2021 4:16 am
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
13650 posts
2827 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
RaidZero wrote: Regarding this "deal", I would rather pay $15 more for the Kingston A2000 at Amazon.
Not mentioned in the title, but we're talking 2.5" drives here.

WD Blue 1TB is $120, which isn't a "must buy" price:
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B073SBQMCX/
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2008
2009 posts
982 upvotes
Home
RaidZero wrote:
Regarding this "deal", I would rather pay $15 more for the Kingston A2000 at Amazon. The difference is miniscule over the the life of the product, why buy junk?
It's like choosing between a brand new Kia Rio for $20K, and a brand new BMW 3 series for $23K. No brainer.
You would think, but some people would still pick the beemer.
Sep 14, 2007
217 posts
223 upvotes
Vancouver
RaidZero wrote: Laugh of the day, thanks Moose!

Everyone else quoting, please turn on the sarcasm detector :)

Regarding this "deal", I would rather pay $15 more for the Kingston A2000 at Amazon. The difference is miniscule over the the life of the product, why buy junk?
It's like choosing between a brand new Kia Rio for $20K, and a brand new BMW 3 series for $23K. No brainer. And I don't mean to demean the Rio, seems OK for what it is, just to point that the 15% jump in price translated in a much bigger jump in performance.
No, the A2000 is only $99 at Canada Computers

https://www.canadacomputers.com/product ... _id=140828
Jun 10, 2020
765 posts
800 upvotes
Real_GM wrote: Folks, he is just questioning the "Green" Branding since WD Green series across board is garbage tier
:P

<Airplane flies over 1/2 of RFD'ers heads.. most of whom take everything literally. The world is all about subtlety, people. Agree with the OP.
Green WAS a garbage-tier. Slower spin speeds and less durability/MBTF. Presumably this uses 'slightly' less electricity? (SSD, lol) and lower performing NAND with shorter lifespan.. (given the 'Green")....
There's a reason they killed-off the Green-line for regular HD's. :P
Jun 10, 2020
765 posts
800 upvotes
lead wrote: wdgreen are now labeled wd blue because there is no green line any more and mechanical blue drives of the past are now labelled red.

wdgreen ssd are wd's cheapest nand options with no ram. Same as say crucial offer mx and bx lines etc.
Not exactly true buddy. Blues have always existed. Greens WERE different and a differentiator for the 'Green' crowd, or even sometimes low-end NAS users (ran cooler), but yeah, they killed them off. They didn't get rolled into the blues. Sorry. They were lower power usage, and slower spin speeds. I think even lower than the typical 5400, they were 5100rpm or something less-standard.

Same with 'blues to red' /your argument there.. Sorry, but that's a bunch of BS.
Red is a new drive-line that came out specifically for NAS-type use-case scenarios -- Multi-drive, vibration and temp resistant, .. capable of RAID arrays..., better warranty, etc. Blue has always been their basic computing line (in HD's)... Not top performer/speed demon (like a Black), nor the worst. More for desktops.

Most of this seems to hold true still for the move to SSD's and NVMe's ..

Your argument about the Green SSD's sounds about right/what they'd do though -- just not include RAM. Probably shorter lifespan NAND too, likely.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
36180 posts
4669 upvotes
Winnipeg
Real_GM wrote: Folks, he is just questioning the "Green" Branding since WD Green series across board is garbage tier
i use green spinner drive only for media files, no program or OS
WTB amazon gc @90%
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
13650 posts
2827 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
DasHip wrote: Not exactly true buddy. Blues have always existed. Greens WERE different and a differentiator for the 'Green' crowd, or even sometimes low-end NAS users (ran cooler), but yeah, they killed them off. They didn't get rolled into the blues. Sorry. They were lower power usage, and slower spin speeds. I think even lower than the typical 5400, they were 5100rpm or something less-standard.
Blue were 7200 RPM untl they killed off Green. After that, they were 7200 up to 1TB. 2TB and up were 5400 RPM. Now, it's a mix.

Depending on someone's perspective, it could be said that Green was rolled into Blue. But WD seems to be clowns when marketing Blue, seeing as Blue m.2 SSDs are mixed between SATA and SN550 NVMe.
Deal Addict
May 7, 2019
1447 posts
1260 upvotes
Ontario
@Temporel how about <this> deal?

WD Blue 3D NAND 2TB Internal SATA III SSD - both 2.5" & M.2 variants - $209 + tax w/coupon at Newegg.ca - with FREE STANDARD SHIPPING

Offer appears to expire at 11:59pm PT tonight - October 30, 2021

The WD Blue SSD's have the DRAM - unlike the cheaper WD Green range.
Preferred cards:

Brim WE . ☁️

CTFS CA and Triangle WE .🔻
Deal Guru
Jun 20, 2020
10302 posts
11911 upvotes
Toronto
banker8 wrote: @Temporel how about <this> deal?

WD Blue 3D NAND 2TB Internal SATA III SSD - both 2.5" & M.2 variants - $209 + tax w/coupon at Newegg.ca - with FREE STANDARD SHIPPING

Except the Blue SN550 and SN570 NVME M.2, they do not have DRAM
Jun 10, 2020
765 posts
800 upvotes
rabbit wrote: Blue were 7200 RPM untl they killed off Green. After that, they were 7200 up to 1TB. 2TB and up were 5400 RPM. Now, it's a mix.

Depending on someone's perspective, it could be said that Green was rolled into Blue. But WD seems to be clowns when marketing Blue, seeing as Blue m.2 SSDs are mixed between SATA and SN550 NVMe.
.. Just did a quick Google search and yeah, it apparently says Greens had a variable RPM 5400-5900... I thought it was always set lower at 5100 or similar, but could be wrong. Variable supposed to be more energy efficient or something ('Green' selling-point). Interesting, but yeah, a bunch of marketting who-ha.

Wait, here we go:

WD’s commitment to sustainability – WD’s green initiative goes beyond the
product level, focusing on recycling and improving the cleanliness of the air,
water and land

RPM: "Intellispeed"

etc.. hahaha. From the horses mouth.

https://docs.rs-online.com/36a4/0900766b80dbd028.pdf

... I guess when they discontinued the Green HDD line, they just went back to raping and pillaging the land, all earnestly-like... :P
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2011
8071 posts
13905 upvotes
Montreal

Yes, the WD Blue 2TB SSD - SATA III (WDS200T2B0A) has DRAM so it's better than the DRAMless Green SSD.

If you want maximum performance, look at Samsung 860/870 EVO or Crucial MX500. But the MX500 has a write amplification problem that Crucail refuses to even aknowledge so that might bother you and Samsung is at a premium. Personnaly, I would buy a Samsung. Wait for Black Friday? Why do you want 2 TB? For storage, spinning rust still has the edge $/TB wise.
Last edited by Temporel on Oct 30th, 2021 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
May 7, 2019
1447 posts
1260 upvotes
Ontario
Dhanushan wrote: Except the Blue SN550 and SN570 NVME M.2, they do not have DRAM
Thanks for the clarification.

I've ordered a couple of the 2.5" drives. Which have the DRAM.
Preferred cards:

Brim WE . ☁️

Deal Addict
May 7, 2019
1447 posts
1260 upvotes
Ontario
Temporel wrote: Yes, the WD Blue 2TB SSD - SATA III (WDS200T2B0A) has DRAM so it's better than the DRAMless Green SSD.

If you want maximum performance, look at Samsung 860/870 EVO or Crucial MX500. But the MX500 has a write amplification problem that Crucail refuses to even aknowledge so that might bother you and Samsung is at a premium. Personnaly, I would buy a Samsung. Wait for Black Friday? Why do you want 2 TB? For storage, spinning rust still has the edge $/TB wise.
The Samsung 870 QVO only has a 3 year warranty. Unlike the 5 year warranty you get with the WD Blue.

I'm unsure of the warranty on the Samsung EVO range - regardless, they're priced significantly higher.
Preferred cards:

Brim WE . ☁️

Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2011
8071 posts
13905 upvotes
Montreal

WD Blue 3D NAND 2TB Internal SATA III SSD - both 2.5" & M.2 variants - $209 + tax w/coupon at Newegg.ca - with FREE STANDARD SHIPPING (...)
I just checked the price of the Samsung 860/870 EVO (very expensive) so the WD Blue at $209 is a steal.
Deal Addict
May 7, 2019
1447 posts
1260 upvotes
Ontario
Temporel wrote: I just checked the price of the Samsung 860/870 EVO (very expensive) so the WD Blue at $209 is a steal.
Yeah, that's what I thought.

6 folks have upvoted my WE Blue thread, but another 6 have downvoted it. I guess they expect it to be given away at half-price? On these types of low margin, in-demand items (it's OOS at Amazon for a $15 higher price), it aint gonna happen.

I read that the Raspberry Pi Foundation has just increased the list price of the Pi 4 2GB model by almost 30% - and they're reintroducing the previously discontinued Pi 4 1GB model to cater for the lower price point. So in this inflationary / low stock climate, there's every chance that Black Friday this year won't be as hot as in years gone by.
Preferred cards:

Brim WE . ☁️