• Last Updated:
  • Nov 11th, 2020 1:46 pm
[OP]
Aug 10, 2013
51 posts
153 upvotes
Toronto

[Newegg] Western Digital SN550 1tb SSD nvme M.2

I just can't get a break, this SSD has a biggest discount than prime day and it's not even Black Friday yet -_-

For those of you who held back, this is a real good deal for a1tb
51 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2008
3414 posts
5096 upvotes
Langley, BC
shayne85 wrote: It’s the SN550 not the SN750.
that's why the title says SN550 Winking Face
Nov 12, 2013
78 posts
190 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Anyone think it’ll go lower during BF?
Dec 15, 2015
311 posts
252 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
keinooj wrote: Anyone think it’ll go lower during BF?
Yes, I do think so. But don't take my word for it. I just think so.
May 11, 2020
21 posts
12 upvotes
keinooj wrote: Anyone think it’ll go lower during BF?
There won't be big sale on tech products due to COVID but then again NAND prices been falling quiet a lot recently
Dec 29, 2017
589 posts
506 upvotes
Is this compatible with PS5? Last time I checked there was not an approved list, mostly for size constraints.
Jan 13, 2009
962 posts
431 upvotes
Do you guys think there will be a better deal on it on black friday?
Dec 21, 2014
46 posts
234 upvotes
Markham, ON
ODoyleRulz wrote: Is this compatible with PS5? Last time I checked there was not an approved list, mostly for size constraints.
I don't think so. PS5 requires PCIe 4 SSD and this one is not fast enough.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2003
9903 posts
2068 upvotes
Richmond Hill
ODoyleRulz wrote: Is this compatible with PS5? Last time I checked there was not an approved list, mostly for size constraints.
SN850 you will need
Dec 11, 2008
506 posts
305 upvotes
Toronto
elfion wrote: Do you guys think there will be a better deal on it on black friday?
Newegg has a "Return by January 2021" for this product.
Worst case, you paid for it now and found a cheaper deal later and have to return it.
Dec 11, 2008
506 posts
305 upvotes
Toronto
If you're holding out for a faster stick, I recently read a review where they compared HDD, SSD and faster drives.
While there was an obvious huge boost to switching to an SSD, there was almost no or very little further improvement when using a faster drive.
This doesn't necessarily mean you're wasting your money it just means that game companies need to reprogram their games to take advantage of the newer technology.

Also, this drive comes with a 5 year warranty.
Dec 24, 2017
947 posts
835 upvotes
Keeping an eye open for 2Tb SATA III SSD around $250....
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2003
9903 posts
2068 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Canuck_TO wrote: Newegg has a "Return by January 2021" for this product.
Worst case, you paid for it now and found a cheaper deal later and have to return it.
You pay restocking fees
Oct 24, 2017
299 posts
632 upvotes
I just built a new machine and I have to say, having 2x 1TB M.2 drives has been great, especially from a cabling perspective. Now I only have 3 cables running from my PSU - MB, CPU, and GPU. Add that to the cable from the case and it’s a clean setup.

Anyway I got these very drives (comparing them to the 970 series) and I don’t regret it at all. My games still load fast and when I need documents they open fast as well.
Jan 13, 2009
962 posts
431 upvotes
canada5dollarbill wrote: I just built a new machine and I have to say, having 2x 1TB M.2 drives has been great, especially from a cabling perspective. Now I only have 3 cables running from my PSU - MB, CPU, and GPU. Add that to the cable from the case and it’s a clean setup.

Anyway I got these very drives (comparing them to the 970 series) and I don’t regret it at all. My games still load fast and when I need documents they open fast as well.
I mean... I guess... I don't really see how a couple of cables are of any practical concern. I know some people are into making their computers cosmetically appealing with glass walls and lighting... But I would focus on speed, size etc first.

With respect to documents, I think you would have been perfectly fine with SATA speeds. These higher speeds are useful if you need to backup 100gb quickly on a daily basis. Or if you are running massive models on big data locally or something like that.
Mar 1, 2016
546 posts
213 upvotes
Anyone knows if there's an improvement in load times if I use this to store ps4 games on the ps5 and use this as an external storage or im better off with a standard external hdd?
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2006
1099 posts
336 upvotes
What scenarios would the SN750 be preferred over the SN550? Wondering if it's a good idea to consider the SN750 as well.