• Last Updated:
  • Sep 20th, 2021 3:14 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2006
1471 posts
2269 upvotes

[Newegg] Western Digital WD Blue SN550 NVMe M.2 2280 1TB with FS - $114.99

If you missed the Amazon deal, NewEgg is also selling the WD SN550 NVMe M.2 1TB SSD for $114.99. It shows $124.99 but use promo code CSDECAZX77 and it'll reduce price to $114.99 with free shipping.
Thread Summary
If you're looking for more options, check out RFD Reviews' roundup of the best SSDs for your devices!
15 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
5834 posts
1099 upvotes
Toronto
This is good price, but how can i clone my OS from previous SSD to this new one?

My gaming laptop currently has a 2.5" hard disk and a m2 nvme ssd (250gb).
Deal Fanatic
Jun 6, 2010
8506 posts
4382 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
test9251 wrote: This is good price, but how can i clone my OS from previous SSD to this new one?

My gaming laptop currently has a 2.5" hard disk and a m2 nvme ssd (250gb).
USB to M2 adapter?

It was $109.99 in Canada Computer yesterday.
There are so many deals going on with these drives.
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Guide to get free movie BOGO code from Virgin Mobile
How to setup PAP in Tangerine
Nov 22, 2018
173 posts
160 upvotes
Brampton, On
Be aware that WD changed the NAND chips and firmware in this model back in June without publishing it or changing the model number.

You may not achieve the same performance as most of the reviewers benchmarked with the earlier version. It depends on how much data you try to push, but once the SLC cache runs out, performance is about halfed.
The average user may not be affected but this might still influence your buying decisions on this model.

Just search this drive under 'news' in Google and you'll see the recent reports from various sites like Toms Hardware about it.
Jan 2, 2006
236 posts
29 upvotes
Mississauga
HWDAN55 wrote: Be aware that WD changed the NAND chips and firmware in this model back in June without publishing it or changing the model number.

You may not achieve the same performance as most of the reviewers benchmarked with the earlier version. It depends on how much data you try to push, but once the SLC cache runs out, performance is about halfed.
The average user may not be affected but this might still influence your buying decisions on this model.

Just search this drive under 'news' in Google and you'll see the recent reports from various sites like Toms Hardware about it.
What about the use case where you just want to use this drive in a portable enclosure as a super fast usb-c thumb drive?
Would the cache be of any use at all?
Following the above use case, if I wanted to write a bunch of data to this drive and then take it over to another system to use, is the cache of any value at all? Wouldn't I still need to wait for the cache to be cleared before ejecting the drive?
I imagine that the effective transfer rate would depend on the underlying NAND chip type.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2014
2635 posts
2894 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
Been using this nvme enclosure for awhile now it's been pretty good. Use it to clone boot drives.

https://www.canadacomputers.com/product ... _id=163145

Speeds are very fast

I got it for $29.99 but it's $39.99, still worth the price

Oh and it comes with a usb C to usb C cable, and also a usb C to usb A cable (the usual usb type)
Deal Fanatic
Jun 6, 2010
8506 posts
4382 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
junglemage666 wrote: Been using this nvme enclosure for awhile now it's been pretty good. Use it to clone boot drives.

Speeds are very fast

Oh and it comes with a usb C to usb C cable, and also a usb C to usb A cable (the usual usb type)
Looks good. There is heat sink plate for the SSD. Some enclosure does not have that.
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2005
1048 posts
299 upvotes
GVR
I use this one for ~$36 because it's compatible with both SATA and NVME, whereas some you have to choose one or the other in most enclosures.

Also states that it's USB 3.2 though I can only get it to 3.0 on my Dell XPS 13 9360 and might be a limitation on my laptop

https://www.amazon.ca/Sabrent-Enclosure ... 076&sr=8-8
Deal Guru
Jun 20, 2020
12018 posts
14457 upvotes
Toronto
whiteGSR wrote: I use this one for ~$36 because it's compatible with both SATA and NVME, whereas some you have to choose one or the other in most enclosures.

Also states that it's USB 3.2 though I can only get it to 3.0 on my Dell XPS 13 9360 and might be a limitation on my laptop

https://www.amazon.ca/Sabrent-Enclosure ... 076&sr=8-8
Yes, the USB 3.0 ports provides data transfer speeds up to 5 Gbps

The Thunderbolt 3 (USB Type-C) port provides data transfer rates up to 10 Gbps for USB 3.1 Gen 2

XPS 13 Setup and Specifications - Dell
https://dl.dell.com/topicspdf/xps-13-93 ... _en-us.pdf
Destiny is all
Nov 22, 2018
173 posts
160 upvotes
Brampton, On
Corwin1066 wrote: What about the use case where you just want to use this drive in a portable enclosure as a super fast usb-c thumb drive?
Would the cache be of any use at all?
Following the above use case, if I wanted to write a bunch of data to this drive and then take it over to another system to use, is the cache of any value at all? Wouldn't I still need to wait for the cache to be cleared before ejecting the drive?
I imagine that the effective transfer rate would depend on the underlying NAND chip type.
The SLC cache is used to buffer the writes since the cache is faster than the actual storage NAND. However the combination of the different chips now used and its firmware, it doesn't empty as fast and could fill up and slow down the drive until it catches up, or the writes complete.

Like I said, you may not even reach that level unless you have big TB sized writes like video/video editing, or transferring large image backups. You might not even care if you do as long as it works. However, some might not be happy if they bought on specs and benchmarks and got overall green drive performance for a blue drive price. Me, if I was in the market for an SSD at the moment, I'd probably still spring for this one anyway.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 6, 2010
8506 posts
4382 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
junglemage666 wrote: Been using this nvme enclosure for awhile now it's been pretty good. Use it to clone boot drives.

Speeds are very fast

Got this one but realize it didn't work for sata m2. Loudly Crying Face
Sep 14, 2007
230 posts
262 upvotes
Vancouver
Sabrent USB 3.2 Tool Free Enclosure, USB Type C External PCIe M-key & M+B key, SSD Caddy 10mbps Aluminum Case, for M.2 NVMe and SATA SSDs (EC-SNVE) https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B08RVC6F9Y/ref ... JF6VPAG1FG

Ordered this enclosure from Amazon. I figured that since Sabrent is an SSD manufacturer they may know more than a thing or two about cooling. Fingers crossed.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2014
1903 posts
1123 upvotes
Toronto, ON
HWDAN55 wrote: The SLC cache is used to buffer the writes since the cache is faster than the actual storage NAND. However the combination of the different chips now used and its firmware, it doesn't empty as fast and could fill up and slow down the drive until it catches up, or the writes complete.

Like I said, you may not even reach that level unless you have big TB sized writes like video/video editing, or transferring large image backups. You might not even care if you do as long as it works. However, some might not be happy if they bought on specs and benchmarks and got overall green drive performance for a blue drive price. Me, if I was in the market for an SSD at the moment, I'd probably still spring for this one anyway.
How does it perform for gaming?
Sep 14, 2007
230 posts
262 upvotes
Vancouver
In my opinion gaming is exactly the kind of workload that something like the SN550 would thrive on. This is because gaming is mostly reads but writes are not very often.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
7188 posts
1513 upvotes
Toronto
Has anyone put this drive into an NVME to USB 10Gb enclosure and ran benchmarks on it? It does not have dram and I highly doubt that it can access system RAM via USB, so the performance of this drive in an enclosure could be very bad.
I workout to get big so I can pickup bricks and ****.
Sep 14, 2007
230 posts
262 upvotes
Vancouver
I'm afraid you are right. Either HMB (host memory buffer) is turned off if the drive knows there is not much bandwidth, or it tries using HMB anyway, eating into the already limited bandwidth. I do not know which is the case but either way there is a negative impact to performance compared to a DRAM-equipped drive.

However, when the SanDisk Extreme 1TB Portable v.2 USB drive (rated 1,050MB/s) is shucked some SN550'E' is found inside. It was the same SN550, tuned to perhaps the lower bandwidth of the interface. Perhaps if you intend to use this in an enclosure you just buy the ready-made one from SanDisk? (Don't buy the old one with regular USB.)