NEWER style faucet handle removal

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 8th, 2019 9:03 pm
[OP]
Oct 25, 2019
10 posts
2 upvotes

NEWER style faucet handle removal

I need to repair the dripping faucet, but have no idea how to remove the handle, as it shows on the pic, there is no screw or tap or hole on it, any suggestions? or seen this type? It seems there is only one way to do it by pulling it up?
Images
  • IMG_201910.jpg
19 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
18912 posts
6113 upvotes
London
jtdekz wrote: I need to repair the dripping faucet, but have no idea how to remove the handle, as it shows on the pic, there is no screw or tap or hole on it, any suggestions? or seen this type? It seems there is only one way to do it by pulling it up?
Is this a Grohe faucet? The handle pulls straight up
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5299 posts
2742 upvotes
l69norm wrote: Is this a Grohe faucet? The handle pulls straight up
I doubt it’s grohe as I’ve yet to see a grohe faucet without the brand stamp on the front of the spout base. Chances are that you’re right about the handle, if there are no tabs covering a set screw and the handle is all one piece then it is most likely a compression fit
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
[OP]
Oct 25, 2019
10 posts
2 upvotes
l69norm wrote: Is this a Grohe faucet? The handle pulls straight up
It's not Grohe, it's brand called UPC.
[OP]
Oct 25, 2019
10 posts
2 upvotes
Red_Army wrote: I doubt it’s grohe as I’ve yet to see a grohe faucet without the brand stamp on the front of the spout base. Chances are that you’re right about the handle, if there are no tabs covering a set screw and the handle is all one piece then it is most likely a compression fit
Is there any tips on removing this type of handles? A screwdriver would do it?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5299 posts
2742 upvotes
jtdekz wrote: It's not Grohe, it's brand called UPC.
UPC is NOT a brand name. It is the "code" seal of approval granted by IAPMO ( International Association of Plumbing and Mechanical Officials). UPC stands for Universal Plumbing Code. Most jurisdicitions require all plumbing materials to be approved by a recognized approval body, like UL for electric). IAPMO is a universally accepted approving agency.

Which means that it’s probably a no name imported from China and you may have a hard time finding/matching replacement parts
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
[OP]
Oct 25, 2019
10 posts
2 upvotes
Update! I found out it's actually American Standard, and model # 7038201.002, but still don't know how to remove the handle.
[OP]
Oct 25, 2019
10 posts
2 upvotes
I thought removing the handle is the hard part, I was wrong, now I can't take the cartridge out, as it shows on the pic, the cartridge seated too deep, and my wrench can't have a good grab, is there a special tool for this kind of cartridge?
Images
  • IMG_20191029.jpg
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5299 posts
2742 upvotes
jtdekz wrote: I thought removing the handle is the hard part, I was wrong, now I can't take the cartridge out, as it shows on the pic, the cartridge seated too deep, and my wrench can't have a good grab, is there a special tool for this kind of cartridge?
There’s no special tool. If you can’t get at the hex head to remove the cartridge then you probably have to remove the base plate, which is probably held down by the spout, which you guess it, would need to be removed

Edit: I looked at the spec sheet, it doesn’t appear that you can remove the spout.

Does and adjustable open box wrench not fit on the hex head?
[OP]
Oct 25, 2019
10 posts
2 upvotes
Red_Army wrote: Does and adjustable open box wrench not fit on the hex head?
Mine is a adjustable wrench, can only grip on a part of it, and it keeps slipping.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5299 posts
2742 upvotes
jtdekz wrote: Mine is a adjustable wrench, can only grip on a part of it, and it keeps slipping.
It may help if you loosen the retaining nut underneath. Over tightening could have separated the body from the plastic base
Apr 8, 2010
802 posts
455 upvotes
toronto
for these, i find going at it from the top (angled) better for grip rather than the side of the nut... the top of the adjustable is tapered so you might be able to get a better purchase on the nut
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5299 posts
2742 upvotes
theres nothing “standard” about a moen cartridge tool, it only works for moen 1222, or 1225 cartridges.
The American standard ceramic disc cartridge pictured is a simple lefty loosie righty tighty
the only tool that may work is a deep socket but It may not have enough clearance to grip . Worth a shot
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
2689 posts
1013 upvotes
Nunavut
Red_Army wrote: theres nothing “standard” about a moen cartridge tool, it only works for moen 1222, or 1225 cartridges.
The American standard ceramic disc cartridge pictured is a simple lefty loosie righty tighty
the only tool that may work is a deep socket but It may not have enough clearance to grip . Worth a shot
Gotcha, I have one of these guys and thought they were more generic.. didn't realize it was Moen specific until now!
[OP]
Oct 25, 2019
10 posts
2 upvotes
Red_Army wrote: The American standard ceramic disc cartridge pictured is a simple lefty loosie righty tighty
This might be a stupid question, but the one I need to fix is hot water, which way to turn to loosen the nut, clockwise or counter-clockwise?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5299 posts
2742 upvotes
jtdekz wrote: This might be a stupid question, but the one I need to fix is hot water, which way to turn to loosen the nut, clockwise or counter-clockwise?
Counter clockwise
Jan 5, 2018
132 posts
233 upvotes
-420 downvotes
Does this Moen Cartridge Puller still work if the stem in the middle is cracked off?
Last edited by Derek on March 11rd, 2020 4:20 pm, edited 6-9 times in total.
Reason: Edited post to keep it on topic from your off topic brilliance
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5299 posts
2742 upvotes
LadyBug420 wrote: Does this Moen Cartridge Puller still work if the stem in the middle is cracked off?
No