[OP]
Dec 20, 2017
9 posts

newly built computer is making some weird noice, need some help

cup: ryzan 5 3600

gpu: msi rx 5700xt

mo: gigabyte m550 gaming x

psu: corsair 750w

I found this sound happens once of twice within the first hour after starting my pc, and it happens more and more fequent, after 2, 3 hours of gaming (heavy useage), the sound would appear once every 10 mins or so. And i have recorded how it sounds like:

(the sounds comes at 17sec into the video)

I really have no idea where i should be looking, i dont think there is anything hitting the gpu fan, and the if there is the sound should be more consistent other than once every 10 mins. It does sound like something were colliding together tho, so if anyone can point me to the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated.
11 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2010
2327 posts
1309 upvotes
GTA
Sounds like a weird click, hard to make out, what kind of cooler are you using?
[OP]
Dec 20, 2017
9 posts
heyyahblah wrote: Sounds like a weird click, hard to make out, what kind of cooler are you using?
i didnt use any additional cooler, only the stock one
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
37849 posts
23952 upvotes
Center of Universe
Disassemble and reassemble again to see if it's still present.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2010
2327 posts
1309 upvotes
GTA
Nyuh916 wrote: i didnt use any additional cooler, only the stock one
What kind of case are you using? Try leaving the case door open and see if anything is hitting any of the fans and leave the door off. Record with actual video footage next time it happens and try to get closer. Move around the cables. See if it continues when the door is off. Giving you a visual of maybe where it's coming from.

It's really hard to diagnose a single click like that and its really hard to hear as well.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
4923 posts
1956 upvotes
Assemble the computer outside the case so u can see what's spinning and not spinning and also avoid any other cables that's inside the case. Can also manually activate and deactivate the GPU fan by using MSI afterburner. Some video cards have Zero fan mode that stops the fan at idle/low activity levels and only spins up when there's load, maybe that's what's happening?

Edit: Got to listen to it on my desktop speaker as oppose to phone.... sounds like something flexing? .... Could it be the case panel flexing due to heat? or maybe the desk?
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
4923 posts
1956 upvotes
Amourek wrote: Sounds like a lose cable hitting a fan or maybe a hard drive seeking briefly.
Oh yeah! Maybe mechanical hard drive working? Totally forgot about mechanical drives... Does OP have a mechanical HD in there?
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2012
3223 posts
999 upvotes
Toronto
Sounds like hdd lol
If not, unplug case fans and run the pc with open side panels. Can also take the psu out of the case. This way you'll at least know whats not causing the sound.
¯\_(・_・)_/¯
Jun 9, 2012
471 posts
318 upvotes
Vancouver
Yeah, it could be either an HDD or a cable hitting the fan. HDDs do make a whining or click/rumble noise when active.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2009
2899 posts
1805 upvotes
Winnipeg
Best guess here, his HDD is drive D and it's parking the heads...maybe. Got an HP system that did it enuf times that i disconnected it. My own D does that but its more rare as iit obeys my set sleep timer to 0.
Nov 20, 2014
277 posts
95 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Sounds like a HDD parking its head. You should verify the health of your drive using a SMART testing software like CrystalDiskInfo. IF everything comes up good and the sound is still bothering you disable the HDDs from sleeping, in the WIndows advanced power settings.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)