[OP]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2006
1030 posts
242 upvotes
Vancouver

Newly built house asphalt shingles roof

Bought a new house.

I believe I have dimensional or architectural asphalt shingles (see picture)

Should i contact the builder to inquire about the exact materials, expected life, and warranty info?

When i bought the new house, i was only provided with 2-5-10 new house warranty info.....but nothing specific to the roof....as i believe roof warranty can last longer than 10 years?
Aside from my roof, would there be anything else that have warranty past 10 years?
Images
  • 20210101_202153120_iOS.jpg
11 replies
Penalty Box
Oct 13, 2008
4732 posts
1696 upvotes
Most builder grade shingles "should" last 10 years. Shingles are not classified as structural.

https://www.bchousing.org/licensing-con ... -new-homes

Email them or contact them:
Contact Name: Licensing & Consumer Services
Branch: Suite 203-4555 Kingsway
Burnaby BC V5H 4V8
Email: Send Secure Email
Phone: 604-646-7050
Toll Free Number: 1-800-407-7757
Fax: 604-646-7051
Hours: 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday to Friday

At a minimum, home warranty insurance coverage includes:

2 years on labour and materials (some limits apply)
5 years on the building envelope, including water penetration
10 years on the structure of the home

The two-year labour and materials coverage covers any defect in labour and materials for:

12 months on detached homes and on non-common property in strata units (including fee simple homes)
15 months on the common property of strata buildings
24 months on all new buildings for defects when related to delivery and distribution systems; defects related to the exterior cladding, caulking, windows or doors that may lead to detachment or material damage to the new home; coverage for violations of the Building Code that constitute a health or safety risk or is likely to result in damage to the new home; and defects which render the home unfit to live in.
Minimum coverage for third-party home warranty insurance is set by legislation. As a minimum, homes built by Licensed Residential Builders must have 2-5-10 Year Home Warranty Insurance . Some new homes have warranty insurance coverage that exceeds the minimum requirement. You should carefully review your home warranty insurance policy documents which will provide specific details on the home warranty insurance coverage on your home.

The warranty is attached to the home, not to the owner of the home, and remains in effect upon the re-sale of the home until the coverage expires.

Strata-titled homes have two policies of home warranty insurance: one on the home and the other on the common property. Sometimes when the coverage of a new strata-titled home starts, the coverage on the related common property has already started — or expired. Coverage on the common property of strata-titled buildings starts when the first unit in the building is occupied or sold.

Owner builder exemptions
The most common exemption from the licensing and home warranty insurance requirements is a new home built under an Owner Builder Authorization.

Unless home warranty insurance is provided, owner-built homes are subject to the 10-year Statutory Protection provisions of the Act. These provisions hold the owner builder personally responsible to subsequent purchasers for any defects in labour, materials or design for 10 years after first occupancy.

If you buy such a home and find defects, you must contact the owner builder directly. Any action to remedy defects by a purchaser must be started within the 10-year period.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2006
1030 posts
242 upvotes
Vancouver
What's the normal life and warranty for dimensional or architectural asphalt shingles?
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
12024 posts
8729 upvotes
GTA, ON
Fantastical wrote: What's the normal life and warranty for dimensional or architectural asphalt shingles?
Depends on brand, colour, environmental conditions & installation. Even your attic and roof venting can affect longevity.

Essentially with builder's grade shingles, you'll likely get somewhere between 10-15yrs, with the sun exposed side degrading faster. If bad installation, a big wind storm could tear off shingles.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Mar 9, 2019
148 posts
73 upvotes
Builder will get out of it any way they can. Ive had some shingles blow off and they blamed it on wind rating of shingles. After some arguing back and forth they ended up replacing them :)
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
12024 posts
8729 upvotes
GTA, ON
Fantastical wrote: Thanks. I understand builder's grade shingles are inferior.

But i thought architectural asphalt shingles would last longer than 15 years?

Also, i google around, and it seems that architectural asphalt shingles are not builder grade?

https://www.mrroof.com/blog/commonly-as ... e-roofing/

https://rgbconstructionservices.com/wha ... e-roofing/
Again, depends on brand and therefore quality. Architectural do tend to last longer but it depends. I'd say probably 18-25yrs. If installed correctly with 6 nails, then you're good.

No one will ever get the 35-50yr.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
3944 posts
3408 upvotes
You should find out from the builder the supplier of all major systems in your home to see whether as the homeowner you have to register any of the products for warranty purposes. That includes things like roof shingles, doors, windows, furnace, hot water boiler. You may want to check your Homeowner package and see if there are any warranty cards there.

I found out that my furnace in my new built had a 10 yr warranty but the furnace had to be registered to invoke the 10 years. I had a major repair in year 6 and it wasn't covered.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35549 posts
21612 upvotes
Center of Universe
Warranty on shingles is a PITA.
Some manufacturer requires you to send in a sample of the shingle.
Oct 22, 2016
666 posts
567 upvotes
Comox Valley
As previous poster @jdmfishingonly stated
“2 years on labour and materials (some limits apply)
5 years on the building envelope, including water penetration“
This is what you would be looking for if you had any leaks, and you are covered under.

Second point here, is their will be a warranty on the shingles. It appears to be an IKO brand (Cambridge?). These shingles should have a 30 year warranty on it, pro-rated, We do not get the heat, you guys get in Ontario, so it should last at least for 25 years. It is an architectural (fiberglass) shingle and are better than the old asphalt (duroid) they use to call it on the West Coast.

Email your builder, ask him what shingles they put on, and do they have a manufacture warranty card? We use to hand them out during re-roofs. New construction would not worry about handing this out.

You should have little concern with the shingles. However you have an EPDM built in gutter. The workmanship on this, during new construction is sometimes lacking. Make sure your drains, and seams are well glued together.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2006
1030 posts
242 upvotes
Vancouver
Found out the following after contacting the trade person for my Asphalt Shingles.

Anyone knows what's the expected life for my roof? the trade person did say it has 30 years warranty on the materials.

IKO Cambridge Shingles
Rapid ridge high profile cap
sv 50 roof vents
galvanized roof nails
FT Pro underlay
Metal flashings 30 gauge
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4603 posts
4659 upvotes
Vancouver
Fantastical wrote: But i thought architectural asphalt shingles would last longer than 15 years?

Also, i google around, and it seems that architectural asphalt shingles are not builder grade?
The term "architectural" applied to roofing shingles refers to cosmetics, nothing to do with quality or strength. It basically just means that they aren't plain flat shingles, they have a more interesting 3D pattern that looks more like traditional roofing systems. They cost a little more, so they usually skip the cheapest 3-tab flat shingle quality level, but otherwise no different from any asphalt shingle.

The first thing you should understand about roofing shingle warranties is that they are next to useless - just a gimmick. As one roofer put it "heck, I just offer 'lifetime' warranty on all my shingles because having the customer come back to me for their replacement roof is more valuable than the small residual value of the shingles'. What he means is that it's a depreciating warranty - a rapidly-depreciating warranty. Almost any roof will last 10 years unless the installation was botched, and you'll find that the residual warranty value of the shingles after 10 years is probably just a few hundred dollars. Labour and other costs not covered. The roofer rubs his hands with glee when you come back to him for a replacement roof after 12 years (if he is still around and doing business under the same name), as he calculates that the cost will be $8000 minus $200 for the remaining 3-year warranty on your 15-year shingles. Trying to get the warranty honored by the shingle manufacturer is usually a non-starter unless your roofer handles it. Do you have ALL the required paperwork for the warranty? Were all of the installers certified by the shingle manufacturer? Got the paperwork on that? Are you sure there were no installation flaws that an inspector could point to and dismiss your warranty claim?

So the main purpose of the warranty is to indicate the relative expected lifespan of the shingles. If they are thicker and have more environment-destroying anti-fungal chemicals baked in, they will have a longer warranty.

The only way to tell when your roof actually needs replacement is to inspect annually, and after every big wind storm, and watch carefully for leaks in the attic. When it's time, it's time.

A good underlayment can help prevent leaks for a few years longer when your old shingles start to crack. A decent synthetic underlay doesn't add much to the roofing cost, and it provides a reliable barrier against leaks, making the shingles just an outer layer providing physical protection. But cheap builders in Ontario may install shingles with no underlayment, amazingly still permitted by the building code in some areas.