Tags:
[OP]
Aug 3, 2011
551 posts
61 upvotes
Edmonton

Newly laid sod turning yellow

Hi
I installed 6 pallets of sod 3days ago and some of them are turning yellow.

I noticed that the first 3 pallets are kind of dry but I wasn't sure until I installed the last 3 pallets which are way greener than the first 3.

I used the lawn roller to pack it down and watered a lot first day. And from day 2, I water them twice a day. So watering shouldn't be an issue.

Do they tend to stay yellow until they establish the root. Or are they dying?

Thanks
Images
  • 1558629526711.jpg
  • 1558629523846.jpg
  • 1558629521533.jpg
  • 1558629519152.jpg
28 replies
Penalty Box
Dec 11, 2006
4864 posts
1847 upvotes
Ajax
Never seen new sod look like that unless it was dead on arrival or not watered properly. That looks dead and we are not even into the heat of the summer yet. I would be asking the supplier to have a look.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1029 posts
586 upvotes
London, On
Sod can be pretty resilient, but that looks like it's going to be take a while to start coming back and take a crap ton of expensive watering, with no guarantees. I wonder if given the time of year, if those 3 pallets were the end of last year's sod and spent the winter all rolled up. I'm assuming the growing season up near Edmonton is a little later starting than here in Southern Ontario, and the sod farms here haven't been going that long yet. I would expect sod coming off the fields right now to be a lot more green and lush than that.
[OP]
Aug 3, 2011
551 posts
61 upvotes
Edmonton
djeffery wrote: Sod can be pretty resilient, but that looks like it's going to be take a while to start coming back and take a crap ton of expensive watering, with no guarantees. I wonder if given the time of year, if those 3 pallets were the end of last year's sod and spent the winter all rolled up. I'm assuming the growing season up near Edmonton is a little later starting than here in Southern Ontario, and the sod farms here haven't been going that long yet. I would expect sod coming off the fields right now to be a lot more green and lush than that.
Supplier told me that the sods are freshly cut few days before but when I installed those 3 first dry pallets it was like 70%Green and 30 %yellow already.

After reading your post, I suspect those dry ones might be from last year but not sure if sod can last that long after being cut.
[OP]
Aug 3, 2011
551 posts
61 upvotes
Edmonton
mrtvgame wrote: Never seen new sod look like that unless it was dead on arrival or not watered properly. That looks dead and we are not even into the heat of the summer yet. I would be asking the supplier to have a look.
I maybe over watered it but I made sure I water enough. Now I only water for 15min in the morning and evening
Feb 25, 2003
434 posts
230 upvotes
Vancouver
After laying them down did you use a roller to make sure they are in contact with the soil under? How much soil did you put under? How about starter fertilizer?
[OP]
Aug 3, 2011
551 posts
61 upvotes
Edmonton
vancitydude wrote: After laying them down did you use a roller to make sure they are in contact with the soil under? How much soil did you put under? How about starter fertilizer?
I used roller and probably 3" top soil (New built house)

I haven't used fertilizer yet
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
2821 posts
548 upvotes
Ancaster
That's not overwatered. That looks dead and dried out.
Jul 8, 2014
336 posts
181 upvotes
AB
I think you need to add water, I heard you are supposed to water 3 times daily the first week (DAILY)
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1029 posts
586 upvotes
London, On
new sod takes a lot more than 15 minutes of watering twice a day, unless it's been raining a lot. Even during the day in the sun when you wouldn't normally water grass, you should get some water on new sod. I hear mixed things about using starter fertilizer on sod, since it's also said the sod farm pretty heavily fertilizes as well to get it growing. But in this case, using some doesn't look like it's going to hurt it, at least in that yellow area.
[OP]
Aug 3, 2011
551 posts
61 upvotes
Edmonton
nielboy wrote: That's not overwatered. That looks dead and dried out.
First day I watered the lawn for 3~4 hrs. I Just pulled out the sod and ground is still wet.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1029 posts
586 upvotes
London, On
The ground might be wet underneath, but that isn't doing anything for the new sod yet, as it has no way of drawing water out of the ground until it develops it's roots.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
9333 posts
3035 upvotes
if that brown sod was freshly laid I'd ask for a refund no way it should look like that especially in May
Discomfort is your friend
[OP]
Aug 3, 2011
551 posts
61 upvotes
Edmonton
blexann wrote: if that brown sod was freshly laid I'd ask for a refund no way it should look like that especially in May
They will give me a refund or New sod but I will need to remove them and re install the new ones and lots and lots of water. They already offered me $150 discount and New sod. That $150 won't even cover the water bill.

It took two people 10hrs to lay down the sod so it will take us 20hr to redo the job(3000sqf) I really hope they survive.

I will pick up some lawn fertilizer for newly installed sod.
[OP]
Aug 3, 2011
551 posts
61 upvotes
Edmonton
JWL wrote: What is with the landscape fabric? Is that for an unsodded area?
Yes future deck area
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1029 posts
586 upvotes
London, On
hogujak wrote: They will give me a refund or New sod but I will need to remove them and re install the new ones and lots and lots of water. They already offered me $150 discount and New sod. That $150 won't even cover the water bill.

It took two people 10hrs to lay down the sod so it will take us 20hr to redo the job(3000sqf) I really hope they survive.

I will pick up some lawn fertilizer for newly installed sod.
What about disposal of this sod if they give you new sod?
Sep 12, 2012
765 posts
540 upvotes
Toronto
Sometimes when the sod is not tightly put next to each other, the soil underneath gets exposed and it has the possibility of drying out faster. Sometimes putting soil in between the cracks of the sod can help keep the moisture in and prevent it from drying out. You want to make sure the sod it put tightly next to each other if you do redo it.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
2626 posts
442 upvotes
yeah, those going take a lot of watering to revitalize it.

just curiosity OP, this looks like a new subdivision, doesn't the builders lay the sod in Edmonton? In GTA - pretty much the builders all lay the grass as part of the house purchase
[OP]
Aug 3, 2011
551 posts
61 upvotes
Edmonton
rogerrabbit168 wrote: yeah, those going take a lot of watering to revitalize it.

just curiosity OP, this looks like a new subdivision, doesn't the builders lay the sod in Edmonton? In GTA - pretty much the builders all lay the grass as part of the house purchase
It depends on the area. Builders don't do it for popular area.