Real Estate

newtonbrook east (NBE) detach down big from peak, time to buy?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 20th, 2019 11:11 pm
[OP]
Aug 13, 2019
16 posts
5 upvotes

newtonbrook east (NBE) detach down big from peak, time to buy?

NBE detached prices have dropped a ton since peak

pros, good sized lots, close to TTC, central

cons, schools not v good, congested, rent not v good, commercial on yonge mishmash of random shops

thoughts about this area for detached? compared to NBW, willowdale E and W?

if you were in the market for an investment property or home to live, would you consider buying in this hood now?
Last edited by geovanni on Aug 20th, 2019 11:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
10 replies
Aug 16, 2011
367 posts
234 upvotes
OTTAWA
Just choose a house that you can afford and buy it..
[OP]
Aug 13, 2019
16 posts
5 upvotes
Jeremyl007 wrote: Just choose a house that you can afford and buy it..
if you were in the market, would you consider this hood and why?
Aug 16, 2011
367 posts
234 upvotes
OTTAWA
geovanni wrote: if you were in the market, would you consider this hood and why?
What's your budget though? If it's $1m, I don't think there's anything in this neighborhood detached under that... If it's more like 1.2-1.5 you have choice.... I would compare this with NB West and willowdale and maybe bayview woods and village... Price wise... The only comp areas is Bayview words and NB West... Yea the schools aren't that good but you can always consider private or French immersion TOPS or IB... It's close up Yonge and if you stay here long enough, I'm sure the redevelopment will keep going north.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54854 posts
19673 upvotes
geovanni wrote: if you were in the market, would you consider this hood and why?
pros, good sized lots, close to TTC, central

cons, schools not v good, -> as parents, we do not solely rely on the school system to get our children up to snuff
congested, --> take the TTC
rent not v good, --> I thought you were going to live there
commercial on yonge mishmash of random shops --> don't even understand why this matters to buying in a residential community, there will always be random shops close to any residential neighborhood
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2006
1502 posts
438 upvotes
I like the neighborhood as I grew up and went to school there. But the type of housing available does not interest me. Looks like there are either 30+ year old homes that need extensive renos, or brand new custom builds for $2-3mil.

And in that price range, you could be looking at Bayview Village or Lawrence Park which are a little bit nicer IMO.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 27, 2004
6306 posts
4196 upvotes
Toronto
Good area, there is a house on bowerbank thats been on the market a while, good lot size, and the house is liveable right now until you want to take it down.
Full-time Realtor
[OP]
Aug 13, 2019
16 posts
5 upvotes
Jeremyl007 wrote: What's your budget though? If it's $1m, I don't think there's anything in this neighborhood detached under that... If it's more like 1.2-1.5 you have choice.... I would compare this with NB West and willowdale and maybe bayview woods and village... Price wise... The only comp areas is Bayview words and NB West... Yea the schools aren't that good but you can always consider private or French immersion TOPS or IB... It's close up Yonge and if you stay here long enough, I'm sure the redevelopment will keep going north.
Thanks. max 1.5m. For Investment. even tho prices have drpped big, roi still isn’t great. Tho Like close proximity to yonge. Also considering duplex or triplex in different area. Or staying invested in equities.
[OP]
Aug 13, 2019
16 posts
5 upvotes
oasis100 wrote: Good area, there is a house on bowerbank thats been on the market a while, good lot size, and the house is liveable right now until you want to take it down.
Ya. Saw the bowerbank one. nice little pocket. very close to yonge cummer.