PC & Video Games

Next-Gen Consoles Issues Revealed By Survey (+ Tips to fix some of those issues)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 18th, 2014 12:23 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Oct 22, 2009
11789 posts
2742 upvotes
Toronto

Next-Gen Consoles Issues Revealed By Survey (+ Tips to fix some of those issues)

Next-Gen Consoles Issues Revealed By Survey

"Now that the eighth-generation video game consoles have been out of a while and have been used by consumers, a new survey conducted by online troubleshooting website Fixya has revealed the most common issues plaguing all three of the consoles in the race. Assembled from more than 40,000 reports, the top five issues for each console are:

Wii U
Freezing is the most common problem with 35%, followed by assorted issues with the gamepad at 30%. Further down is problems accessing the internet at 15% followed by more standard issues with audio/video at 10% and other issues at 10%.

Xbox One
No surprise, the biggest issue is problems with Kinect at 30% - specifically its response timing and issues with voice commands. The second is an unexpected one - the console suddenly and unexpectedly turning off, which accounts for 25% of the complaints. Audio/video issues account for 15%, followed by caching issues with 10% and finally assorted other issues at 20%.

PlayStation 4
The number one issue? At 35% it's the console turning off during mid-use due to various reasons, most commonly overheating and/or a manufacturing fault. The second most common at 25% is the either or both the audio and video not working. At 20% is sudden freezing, most often during updating software. Finally there's 10% of problems with the disc drive and 10% other assorted issues.

Various tips to fix some of these problems are up at Fixya"

- Source D.H.
~~~~~~~~~~> Get...THAT DEAL...Over Here!!!
9 replies
Nov 13, 2013
18 posts
3 upvotes
Surrey
PS4 price being raised to $450 is a pretty big issue.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Oct 22, 2009
11789 posts
2742 upvotes
Toronto
genericname wrote: PS4 price being raised to $450 is a pretty big issue.
Yeah, I guess you can add that to the list....except it's not a technical issue. :)
~~~~~~~~~~> Get...THAT DEAL...Over Here!!!
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
12280 posts
2949 upvotes
My issues:

XB1 -Kinect stopped working last night. Won't even acknowledge it is plugged in. May be broken. Other then that, sometimes it acts like I gave it a command when I didn't... and it wasn't anything said on TV that would cause that to happen either.

PS4 -Internet connection is VERY touchy. It drops connection all the time, even though there's nothing wrong with the router or the modem and I disabled everything else from the network... and it will still disconnect. Conversely the PS3 doesn't have this issue with the exact same set up. I need to try a few other things out like different channels, but haven't gotten around to it as I haven't turned it on other than to play Tomb Raider in the past 4 months. Also I experienced crazy framerate issues when it tries to reconnect to wifi.

I'm not impressed with either system right now.
Jun 4, 2013
452 posts
19 upvotes
Toronto
My PS4 audio doesn't work half the time. When I start up my console, I have to switch inputs then switch back for it to work.

Not a big deal but just annoying.
Banned
Jul 29, 2013
3588 posts
192 upvotes
AdamMilan wrote: My PS4 audio doesn't work half the time. When I start up my console, I have to switch inputs then switch back for it to work.

Not a big deal but just annoying.
Could be a TV issue?
Jun 4, 2013
452 posts
19 upvotes
Toronto
Don't believe so. My Apple TV and other devices that are connected always have the audio working no problem.
TheBatManRising wrote: Could be a TV issue?
Deal Addict
May 6, 2006
2063 posts
99 upvotes
Toronto
AdamMilan wrote: Don't believe so. My Apple TV and other devices that are connected always have the audio working no problem.
I have had a similar audio issue although not sure if it's the PS4 or my whole theatre setup as I have a lot of splitters, etc. I found that sometimes if you switch the audio type from DTS to 5.1 and back again, the audio comes back. (cant' remember the menus off the top of my head.
My XBL/PSN: evilenger
Deal Fanatic
Jul 11, 2006
6669 posts
3690 upvotes
Canada,Eh!
#1 issue = Need more games for my PS4!
A pleasant surprise which I've noticed is that when I eject my disc, even after several hours of gameplay, it's is cool to the touch.
I know the game is actually reading from the HDD, but the disc is still in the machine at all times, which is a nice reflection of the overall operating temp of the PS4.
Figured I'd throw in a "performance plus" amongst all the current issues.