Cell Phones

Next Phone that I should get..

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 17th, 2021 7:30 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Member
User avatar
Dec 10, 2008
420 posts
72 upvotes
Toronto

Next Phone that I should get..

Hello

I currently have a OnePlus 6 and I really liked it at the beginning.

However, I have been hearing that OnePlus has been doing very poorly now for quite some time and with people complaining about slow updates and the company's direction.

Finally, my phone has just gotten its final update and will not be supported once Android 12 is released.

I was wondering if I should wait for at least a year or look into getting a new phone

I have very specific requirements though. I need it to have at least 256GB of onboard memory (My music library is HUGE), it must be a dual sim phone as I use both a Telus SIM and a Japanese SIM which is used to connect LINE and Japanese services, the processor needs to be at least better than what it is currently on the OnePlus 6 (SnapDragon 845), and It needs to have a good camera (The camera on the OnePlus 6 is dismal and I still regret to this day regarding that)

I've done my research and all the phones that meet these criteria are ridiculously expensive. Also do not recommend for me to go for a OnePlus 8 or 8T as that is just silly.

Just want some suggestions, thanks.
x
16 replies
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 14, 2003
5724 posts
4195 upvotes
LaLaLand
Your requirements fit in a niche and there aren't that many choices. There are lots of cheap dual sim phones but requiring more memory and a better camera will put you into a higher price range. You should adjust your expectations accordingly.

I have the same requirements in a phone. I currently have a dual sim Samsung Galaxy S9 with 256GB of storage. I have about 120GB of music and the rest of the storage gets taken up by photos. The Galaxy S9 is no longer supported for Android upgrades but it still gets quarterly security updates. I think this may continue until sometime in 2022. I assume that after security updates are not being provided some apps will stop working and I will definitely need a new phone then. The Galaxy S9 was released in 2018, the same as your One Plus phone. I assume the support schedule will continue on the same path as the S9 so you have another year to figure it out.

With my previous phones, I got a new phone because the battery was draining quickly and/or the phone was becoming very slow. This hasn't become the case with the Galaxy S9 because I haven't used it much the last two years because of the current situation so I don't notice that it being slow or the battery draining quickly, if it is the case. My previous phones, the Galaxy S7 and S5 only went 3 years before I replaced them. I am hoping I can get an extra year out of my S9. I will probably wait another year to see what happens. I'm considering buying an iPhone. I like iPhone because Esim seems more flexible for my needs (I have more than two providers) and iPhone has larger storage options.
Newbie
Dec 1, 2017
86 posts
43 upvotes
ottawa
I just noticed e-sims is something new now
. I have never had a dual sim need but just noticed the option when my wife got her new iPhone.

Apple shows where you can use a physical sim card and an e-sim as a dual sim setup. Maybe others can now do this?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209044
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 14, 2003
5724 posts
4195 upvotes
LaLaLand
TKGRACING wrote: I just noticed e-sims is something new now
. I have never had a dual sim need but just noticed the option when my wife got her new iPhone.

Apple shows where you can use a physical sim card and an e-sim as a dual sim setup. Maybe others can now do this?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209044
There are, but it is a small list,

https://esim2fly.com/esim-supported-devices/

All newer Samsung devices sold in North America have esim but it is disabled - likely at the request of carriers.

In Asia, there are iPhone models that can accept two physical SIM cards.
[OP]
Member
User avatar
Dec 10, 2008
420 posts
72 upvotes
Toronto
Just wanted to add that I was considering the S21 ultra but since the Snapdragon versions of the S21 are on the NA/Korean models only (NA models have eSIM disabled) and the Dual SIM version has an Exynos processor which I loathe, I decided not to get one.

I might just hold on to my OP6 for at least another year and see if anything better comes out next year.
x
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 14, 2003
5724 posts
4195 upvotes
LaLaLand
TKWizard wrote: Just wanted to add that I was considering the S21 ultra but since the Snapdragon versions of the S21 are on the NA/Korean models only (NA models have eSIM disabled) and the Dual SIM version has an Exynos processor which I loathe, I decided not to get one.

I might just hold on to my OP6 for at least another year and see if anything better comes out next year.
I believe the Hong Kong and China version(s) of the S21 Ultra has the Snapdragon 888 processor. This model is also dual physical SIMs and not esim.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 28, 2013
21015 posts
10527 upvotes
Oakville
On the Android side, I haven't been able to find anything I like better than the Pixel side of things. And esim support isn't disabled, either (just added an esim to my Pixel 4A 5G the other day, as a matter of fact). Pixel 6 is coming out in a couple months, and hopefully it'll be a bigger upgrade this time than the 5 was last year (I'm hoping to see some big camera upgrades this year).
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 14, 2003
5724 posts
4195 upvotes
LaLaLand
wearysky wrote: On the Android side, I haven't been able to find anything I like better than the Pixel side of things. And esim support isn't disabled, either (just added an esim to my Pixel 4A 5G the other day, as a matter of fact). Pixel 6 is coming out in a couple months, and hopefully it'll be a bigger upgrade this time than the 5 was last year (I'm hoping to see some big camera upgrades this year).
If you read the first post, op needs at least 256 GB storage capacity. The Google Pixel does not have more than 128 GB of storage, I believe.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 28, 2013
21015 posts
10527 upvotes
Oakville
batcave wrote: If you read the first post, op needs at least 256 GB storage capacity. The Google Pixel does not have more than 128 GB of storage, I believe.
The current one doesn't. I believe the 6 Pro (coming out in the near future) is rumoured to have up to 512gb.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 28, 2013
21015 posts
10527 upvotes
Oakville
batcave wrote: Interesting. When will it become available?
Usually in October, shortly after the release of the next Android version.
Sr. Member
Jan 17, 2013
772 posts
368 upvotes
TKWizard wrote:
I've done my research and all the phones that meet these criteria are ridiculously expensive. Also do not recommend for me to go for a OnePlus 8 or 8T as that is just silly.

Just want some suggestions, thanks.

ZTE Axon 30 5G - $625

Flagship killer
Snapdragon 870 5G
Has MicroSD card slot - better than cardless OnePlus

Only problem is the camera does not have OIS

ZTE Axon 30 5G releasing globally on September 9 for roughly $625 CAD
https://mobilesyrup.com/2021/08/16/zte- ... 9-release/
[OP]
Member
User avatar
Dec 10, 2008
420 posts
72 upvotes
Toronto
wearysky wrote: On the Android side, I haven't been able to find anything I like better than the Pixel side of things. And esim support isn't disabled, either (just added an esim to my Pixel 4A 5G the other day, as a matter of fact). Pixel 6 is coming out in a couple months, and hopefully it'll be a bigger upgrade this time than the 5 was last year (I'm hoping to see some big camera upgrades this year).
Pixel doesn't have Dual Sim sadly.
x
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 28, 2013
21015 posts
10527 upvotes
Oakville
TKWizard wrote: Pixel doesn't have Dual Sim sadly.
It does if you use an e-sim.
[OP]
Member
User avatar
Dec 10, 2008
420 posts
72 upvotes
Toronto
wearysky wrote: It does if you use an e-sim.
Thats if eSim is enabled for Canada usage. Last time I heard, it wasn't.
x
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 28, 2013
21015 posts
10527 upvotes
Oakville
TKWizard wrote: Thats if eSim is enabled for Canada usage. Last time I heard, it wasn't.
As I said in my original post: I just added an e-sim to my Pixel 4a 5g the other day. I'm on Fido. Worked like a charm.
[OP]
Member
User avatar
Dec 10, 2008
420 posts
72 upvotes
Toronto
XeniaOnatopp wrote: Koodo shows that they support eSIM on Pixel phones that are newer than 3a.

https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/esi ... ltext=esim

Lucky shows similar.

https://www.luckymobile.ca/support/phone/dual-sim-card

So does Virgin.

https://www.virginplus.ca/en/support/es ... droid.html

I'm not sure where you've got your information from, but I'd say you are wrong.
Apologies for the mistake. I assumed since you couldn't use the S21 eSIM function in Canada, there was no eSIM support.
x

Top