Next step after killing weeds

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 18th, 2019 4:13 pm
[OP]
Jul 13, 2017
46 posts
4 upvotes

Next step after killing weeds

So our lawn has no weeds as of now. Next what should we do.

1. Rake the surface.
2. Loads of grass seeds (which one to use?)
3. Top soil mixture (which brand to choose).
4. Fertilizer (with or without weed killer?)
5. Watering 2 times a day for weeks.
6. What is overseeding, when to do it?
7. How often should we apply fertilizer.

Thanks.
4 replies
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
11082 posts
4488 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Power Rake/dethatch
Aerate - twice as much as normal - ie put a lot of holes in the ground
Rake up the holes, mix with compost or manure with some peat moss (think 1/3, 1/3, 1/3) and use to level lawn later.
Hand rake manure or compost over lawn so that most of the holes created by aeration are filled and about 1 to 2 cm thick
Spread grass seeds
Hand rake a mixture of peat moss and manure/compost to cover seeds (maybe another cm)
Water, Water, Water

NO Fertilizer and NOTHING with any weed killing properties for at least 4 to 6 weeks until the grass grows to 4 to 5 inches tall. Mow when the grass gets to this height at the highest setting for your mower. Fertilize at this point. Also, use the soil mixture we created above (using the plugs, compost/manure and peat moss) to fill in any low spots. You should also look for bald spots and put down some more grass seeds in those spots and cover with soil.

Never apply fertilizer with weedkiller as weed killer does NOTHING to prevent weed grow so weedkiller should only be applied on actively growing weeds.
Jun 27, 2012
743 posts
1072 upvotes
Kind of late in the season to be laying seed considering the high heat. Here in Ontario, the next week looks to be high 20's, low 30's. I wouldn't lay see down in those temperatures.

I laid seed and topsoil down almost 3 months ago. Not really doing anything more other than watering and fertilizing until the early fall when I dethatch and overseed again.
2010-2019 Contest Winnings = $0
Oct 26, 2014
54 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I tried for one year and it was not easy. Call a lawn care company to fertilize and weed spray.

Overseed, cut and maintain by yourself.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
13914 posts
3343 upvotes
London
Tbik78 wrote:
Jul 7th, 2019 12:19 am
So our lawn has no weeds as of now. Next what should we do..

Thanks.
Saukrates wrote:
Jul 8th, 2019 10:16 am
Kind of late in the season to be laying seed considering the high heat. Here in Ontario, the next week looks to be high 20's, low 30's. I wouldn't lay see down in those temperatures.

I laid seed and topsoil down almost 3 months ago. Not really doing anything more other than watering and fertilizing until the early fall when I dethatch and overseed again.
+1
Wait till it’s cooler like mid-late Sept. (20C during day and 10C at night) You’ll go through a lot of water cause it’s too hot right now.