Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
8120 posts
3908 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…

Next time you eat a hot dog...

Pathologists at an Ontario hospital just wanted to know what was in hot dogs.
They then took cross sections for slides and used stains to identify different types of tissue. And found, to their surprise, that most slices consisted primarily of fat globules, with very little skeletal muscle—the stuff we tend to think of as “meat.” The researchers also found bits of bone and blood vessels and cartilage—even plant material.

How did the plant material get in there you’re wondering? Rouse explains:

Let me put it this way. Sometimes I get biopsies from human colons and I find vegetable matter. I’ll just leave it at that.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
87 replies
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
8120 posts
3908 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
UrbanPoet wrote: Meh not a big deal.
I eat pig ass holes all the time.

Ok its intestine. But i’m sure an ass hole or 2 gets in there.
But at least you knew what you were getting (always wondered what one did with pork bung sold at Chinese supermarkets). I once went to a famed sandwich stand in Firenze/Florence and due to my bad (non-existent) Italian ended up with their famed tripe sandwich.

I used to work with someone who didn't like the idea of meat so she ate hot dogs instead.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
14728 posts
19603 upvotes
Vancouver
My uncle worked at a meat processing plant in Edmonton the 1950s. He told me that Monday was beef day, Tuesday pork, Wednesday chicken, Thursday another run of beef and pork. Friday was hot dog day; where all the trimmings, entrails, and other leftovers that had been saved since Monday all went into the hot dog machine.
Last edited by Kiraly on Jul 5th, 2020 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
49391 posts
12933 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
thriftshopper wrote: But at least you knew what you were getting (always wondered what one did with pork bung sold at Chinese supermarkets). I once went to a famed sandwich stand in Firenze/Florence and due to my bad (non-existent) Italian ended up with their famed tripe sandwich.

I used to work with someone who didn't like the idea of meat so she ate hot dogs instead.
Oh the tripe sandwich.. i saw that on tv.
Seems like everywhere in the world except north america knows how to eat these kinda things.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
49391 posts
12933 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
Kiraly wrote: My uncle worked at a meat processing plant in Edmonton the 1950s. He told me that Monday was beef day, Tuesday pork, Wednesday chicken, Thursday another run of beef and pork. Friday was hot dog day; where all the trimmings and leftovers that had been saved since Monday all went into the hot dog machine.
Thats just efficient!
Yeah its “icky” sounding. But I love it when an entire animal is used... it sacrificed its life for us after all.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
19310 posts
6281 upvotes
Toronto
This is some bizarre American publican. Where is the Canadian viewpoint on this? Maybe OUR hot dogs are better than theirs?

On another note, time to cut back on the "meat" and enjoy some cheese filler with it, I guess:

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4633 upvotes
Montréal
How about those 'all-beef' ones, so I guess they only use cow guts for those? LOL.

Someone mentioned tripe? it's the bomb w pho! Cows are probably the cleanest animal we eat, all they eat is grass. If you ate human, you'd probably go into septic shock lol.
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36347 posts
10587 upvotes
Ottawa
thriftshopper wrote: But at least you knew what you were getting ......
You did not know hot dogs were floor scraping from the slaughter house? LOL
I hope you never find out what is in sausages, salamis, head cheese or luncheon meat LOL

Anyway, it makes no difference, I like hot dogs.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4380 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: You did not know hot dogs were floor scraping from the slaughter house? LOL
Same as "spicy" anything at a sushi place. "Spicy sushi" means "rotten fish covered with sriracha so you can't tell it's bad".
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2006
1907 posts
2147 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: Oh the tripe sandwich.. i saw that on tv.
Seems like everywhere in the world except north america knows how to eat these kinda things.
I think we have forgotten a lot since out standards of living have increased. I used to know someone who grew up on farm in rural Quebec. She said, yea we ate everything because we were poor. She said when she moved to Montreal as for school, people looked at her funny for some of the foods that she ate, tripe, etc. Just a guess on my part, but people in the rural areas probably still eat those things but we just don't really hear about it that much.
Deal Guru
Jul 23, 2007
14825 posts
7539 upvotes
Toronto
Scientific American via Mother Jones wrote: The researchers also found bits of bone and blood vessels and cartilage—even plant material.
Just to be clear, bone, blood vessels, cartilage, tripe contain no nutritional value whatsoever?
playnicee1 wrote: Where is the Canadian viewpoint on this? Maybe OUR hot dogs are better than theirs?
What's the diff?
The pathologist(s) based in Ontario, I don't think they went out of their way to buy US dogs
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4633 upvotes
Montréal
ji2o0k wrote: meh - waste not, want not....

better to eat the entire animal vs junking parts of it..
Agreed, if we're gonna kill the poor animal, try to maximize its use.

I don't agree w other ppl holding that elitist attitude about 'we don't eat the ____ cuz that's what poor ppl eat'. That's just silly and shortsighted and counterproductive in some cases, e.g. brown vs white bread. Maybe some of us don't eat certain parts but I definitely wouldn't look down on ppl eating them, it's just personal tastes, literally.
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36347 posts
10587 upvotes
Ottawa
maple1 wrote: I think we have forgotten a lot since out standards of living have increased. I used to know someone who grew up on farm in rural Quebec. She said, yea we ate everything because we were poor. She said when she moved to Montreal as for school, people looked at her funny for some of the foods that she ate, tripe, etc. Just a guess on my part, but people in the rural areas probably still eat those things but we just don't really hear about it that much.
If you go to Europe and walk in a butcher shop, there is every part of the animal for sale..... in rich parts of town and poor parts. There is no waste.
The Brits have always been offal eaters, there are Michelin award winning restaurants that sever nothing but innards. Nose to tail eateries are all over London.
Italian macelleria (butcher shops) only throw away the hide and hair. :) (and the hide goes to Florence to become coats and gloves )
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
8120 posts
3908 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
playnicee1 wrote: This is some bizarre American publican. Where is the Canadian viewpoint on this? Maybe OUR hot dogs are better than theirs?
jenviea wrote: Just to be clear, bone, blood vessels, cartilage, tripe contain no nutritional value whatsoever? What's the diff?
The pathologist(s) based in Ontario, I don't think they went out of their way to buy US dogs
As noted, the researching pathologists are at the Stratford, Ontario hospital. Hot dogs presumably are North American brands.

As for cartilage, that's the stuff that when slowly cooked enriches stews.
tranquility922 wrote: How about those 'all-beef' ones, so I guess they only use cow guts for those? LOL.

Someone mentioned tripe? it's the bomb w pho! Cows are probably the cleanest animal we eat, all they eat is grass. If you ate human, you'd probably go into septic shock lol.
The term "all-beef" should be replaced with "all cow". I associate beef with skeletal muscle. FWIW, intestines are a muscle of sorts as are hearts. Just not skeletal.
Pete_Coach wrote: You did not know hot dogs were floor scraping from the slaughter house? LOL
I hope you never find out what is in sausages, salamis, head cheese or luncheon meat LOL
Depends on how and who makes it. I've seen sausages made at an old Italian butcher in my old neighbourhood. Just pork (skeletal) meat trimmings and fat. I imagine it is the national, branded hot dog manufacturers that use the whole animal.

Reminds me of the maxim attributed to Otto von Bismarck that men should now know how their laws and sausages are made.
Pete_Coach wrote: If you go to Europe and walk in a butcher shop, there is every part of the animal for sale..... in rich parts of town and poor parts. There is no waste.
The Brits have always been offal eaters, there are Michelin award winning restaurants that sever nothing but innards. Nose to tail eateries are all over London.
Italian macelleria (butcher shops) only throw away the hide and hair. :) (and the hide goes to Florence to become coats and gloves )
Lots of countries. The bouchon cuisine in Lyon, France is based on tripe, as is a good amount of Roman cuisine.

In many parts of the world, the whole animal, including blood is used. Blood sausage being popular at least in NW/central Europe. And of course you can buy congealed blood in Chinese supermarkets (even in North America).

Then again, it is based on knowledge. There is little or no stated (by the manufacturer) knowledge of what goes into hot dogs.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2006
1907 posts
2147 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: If you go to Europe and walk in a butcher shop, there is every part of the animal for sale..... in rich parts of town and poor parts. There is no waste.
That's interesting. Most of the world generally has gotten their food fresh rather than processed and packaged for pick-up in a grocery store like us here in North America.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
49391 posts
12933 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
maple1 wrote: I think we have forgotten a lot since out standards of living have increased. I used to know someone who grew up on farm in rural Quebec. She said, yea we ate everything because we were poor. She said when she moved to Montreal as for school, people looked at her funny for some of the foods that she ate, tripe, etc. Just a guess on my part, but people in the rural areas probably still eat those things but we just don't really hear about it that much.
True!!!
I notice whiny millennials do that when they can’t play with their phones or get something done instantaneously without hard work and perseverance. Our leisurely and prosperous society allows for that...
They treat it like child abuse if they have to drink tim hortons compared to triple foam soy star bucks latte.
Deal Addict
May 30, 2010
1807 posts
1318 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: True!!!
I notice whiny millennials do that when they can’t play with their phones or get something done instantaneously without hard work and perseverance. Our leisurely and prosperous society allows for that...
They treat it like child abuse if they have to drink tim hortons compared to triple foam soy star bucks latte.
Or think of putting bread in a bread box as "weird" because the bread touches those surfaces. LOL

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)