Shopping Discussion

next year Vancouver will get its first Walmart Store as Costco is moving out.

• Last Updated:
  • May 18th, 2008 1:24 am
Tags:
None
May 13, 2004
905 posts
4 upvotes
Vancouver
This is barely Vancouver. It's already at Boundary Rd.
Dec 20, 2007
603 posts
47 upvotes
ephemera wrote: Only snobs who look down their noses at you complain about walmart. Not everyone can afford to shop at whole foods and boutiques.
I guess you've never seen the movie "Wal-Mart the high cost of low price" or had the "pleasure" of dealing with management from a retailers perspective.
Dec 31, 1969
ephemera wrote: Only snobs who look down their noses at you complain about walmart. Not everyone can afford to shop at whole foods and boutiques.
I'm a snob because I prefer to support people in my neighbourhood? I am a snob because I prefer quality products? I am a snob because because I can afford to shop at other stores? I am a snob because I don't like supporting Walmart and their business practices?

Wake up and educate yourself.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2006
3533 posts
272 upvotes
Richmond
selpats wrote: I'm a snob because I prefer to support people in my neighbourhood? I am a snob because I prefer quality products? I am a snob because because I can afford to shop at other stores? I am a snob because I don't like supporting Walmart and their business practices?

Wake up and educate yourself.
No, you'd be a snob if you forced others to conform to the lifestyle you described. That's what those Walmart petitioners do and those are the people he's referring to. Build the damn Walmart and let the customers decide where to shop.
Dec 31, 1969
M@rk wrote: No, you'd be a snob if you forced others to conform to the lifestyle you described. That's what those Walmart petitioners do and those are the people he's referring to. Build the damn Walmart and let the customers decide where to shop.
You are right, people should be able to shop where they want and I totally have nothing wrong with that...
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2004
6582 posts
173 upvotes
GYR8 wrote: Thursday, May 22nd is the opening date I believe ;)

GYR8
Where abouts in BBY is it opening?

I for one am happy that Wal-mart is coming to Vancouver, however I am disappointed it's not a supercentre. Too bad it's not relocated to the empty land that they own on Marine Drive. The local Wal-Mart haters didn't want a store to be put up that way. I guess it's too much competition for that flea-bag superstore?
Deal Guru
Jun 1, 2006
12048 posts
15237 upvotes
Pavel wrote: Where abouts in BBY is it opening?

I for one am happy that Wal-mart is coming to Vancouver, however I am disappointed it's not a supercentre. Too bad it's not relocated to the empty land that they own on Marine Drive. The local Wal-Mart haters didn't want a store to be put up that way. I guess it's too much competition for that flea-bag superstore?
The new Costco is located on Still Creek near Willingdon in Burnaby. Halfway between Brentwood Mall and BCIT. Near MacDonalds headquarters.

Protestors can't do anything because the location is zoned for such businesses. That hasn't stop the leader of the opposition group from expressing her disapproval:

http://www.cknw.com/Channels/Reg/NewsLo ... ID=1007361

Louise Seto say Big Box Stores are "not sustainable". What an idiot, if so, none of the big boxes will survive for such a long time. You should see the long lineup at these places.

I don't know how Walmart will handle the parking situation at this location because the parking lot is very small compared to other places. It will be a madhouse.
Have a nice day!

Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2004
6582 posts
173 upvotes
Thanks for the update.

Yeah, a lot of politically correct people will jump in the way of progress. Wait until (one day) a Wal-Mart supercentre will arrive in town. You'll see how many people will jump to shop there even though the prices will be about the same, I think, as Superstore, but it'll likely force the big chains to change their marketing and prices, at least initially. All the Wal-marts I have been to in Canada and USA are always busy.

Like the article in the Sun says about supporting ma and pop stores or local retailers: ". "We have this nostalgia for Mom-and-Pop retail, but a lot of it is pretty crappy retail and often it exists because of a lack of a convenient alternative."

The parking at the Grandview Costco, has always been bad. I dont think they will do anything about it.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 22, 2006
9820 posts
856 upvotes
Not really a good location for Walmart. The location at marine would be a lot better since there are also 0 walmarts in Richmond with the closest one in Queens. Opening one where Costco was doesn't make a lot of difference. Its fairly close to the one @ lougheed and Queens (like 15 drive away) and if you're going from (or close to) Richmond, its probably still faster to goto Queens.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2004
6582 posts
173 upvotes
GVRtrader wrote: Not really a good location for Walmart. The location at marine would be a lot better since there are also 0 walmarts in Richmond with the closest one in Queens. Opening one where Costco was doesn't make a lot of difference. Its fairly close to the one @ lougheed and Queens (like 15 drive away) and if you're going from (or close to) Richmond, its probably still faster to goto Queens.
+1. The Queensborough one is also newer and has a lot more to offer than just Wal-Mart. It has the outlet stores too.

It's really too bad (for the consumer) the local Marine Drive residents beached and complained about Wal-mart so they werent allowed to set up shop on Marine, yet they still own the land. Maybe they'll be a new Richmond nightmarket there next year? :D
[OP]
Banned
Dec 24, 2004
10708 posts
151 upvotes
the marine location wouldn't be near skytrain. the grandview highway location is near skytrain
Air Canada Aeroplan Super Elite Reservations: 1-800-401-7201 or 514-369-7598
get unlimited calls or other discounts by calling directly to:
Fido Retentions: call 611 then push 7, then push 3 - or Rogers Retentions 1-514-734-7873 or 1-866-228-7109
Telus Mobility: 1-877-279-3100 or 416-279-3100 or 1 416 296 7669 client.loyalty@telus.com
Bell Mobility: 1-866-313-1086
nice chairs http://www.eternitymodern.ca
great value - lol http://www.walmart.ca
Deal Fanatic
Jun 30, 2007
8405 posts
593 upvotes
Toronto
good god 2.5 hectares lol

and you don't have to be a snob to hate wallmart that's just ignorant :cheesygri
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2004
6582 posts
173 upvotes
st7860 wrote: the marine location wouldn't be near skytrain. the grandview highway location is near skytrain
why would that make a difference? the queensborough location is not near the skytrain either?
Jul 14, 2005
669 posts
144 upvotes
LonesomeDove wrote: The new Costco is located on Still Creek near Willingdon in Burnaby. Halfway between Brentwood Mall and BCIT. Near MacDonalds headquarters.
If you know where the Keg used to be, that's where the new Costco is. The Keg moved slightly south (about 1/2 block).
Mar 30, 2007
99 posts
6 upvotes
Its gonna be competitive. There's already a Rona 3 blocks away, Superstore 2 blocks away and they are building a huge multi store complex another block away. I recall only Canadian Tire and Mark's Work Warehouse and Starbucks on the sign but I'm sure there was more.