[OP]
Dec 18, 2005
603 posts
395 upvotes
Montreal

[Videotron] Nexus 4 Wireless Charging Orb - 55$ @ Videotron - QC Only

More offers from Videotron
Hi all,

The Nexus 4 Wireless Charging Orb is now listed on Videotron's website for 54.95$!

http://www.videotron.com/en/pr/prodA309 ... harger-lg#

This is 5$ cheaper than the Google Play store, and, better yet, will be available for local pick-up (in Quebec). I called the flagship store in Downtown Montreal and the representative said they should be receiving them on Thursday. Let's hope this holds true!

Good luck!
41 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
5617 posts
1433 upvotes
Montreal
I read $5 instead of $55 and got really excited for a second.

Even at $55, I find it too expensive :(
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2010
14478 posts
2050 upvotes
Toronto
Dang. I wish wind would carry it for the same price.
[OP]
Dec 18, 2005
603 posts
395 upvotes
Montreal
psyko514 wrote:
Feb 18th, 2013 5:49 pm
I read $5 instead of $55 and got really excited for a second.

Even at $55, I find it too expensive :(
Yeah, at 5$, I'd pick one up for every room in the house! I agree that 55$ is a little steep for a charger, but considering it's 5$ cheaper than the Play store with no shipping fees and local pickup/support, it's a pretty good deal.

I was waiting for the Play store to offer them up in Canada, but I will definitely pick one up from Videotron instead.
Jul 12, 2005
501 posts
153 upvotes
I heard the Nexus 4 uses the Qi standard for inductive charging.
Has anyone else with a Nexus 4 found a cheaper alternative that works well?

It appears the Energizer Qi are more expensive and the Chinese knock-offs are the same price.
[OP]
Dec 18, 2005
603 posts
395 upvotes
Montreal
NFN_NLN wrote:
Feb 18th, 2013 7:35 pm
I heard the Nexus 4 uses the Qi standard for inductive charging.
Has anyone else with a Nexus 4 found a cheaper alternative that works well?

It appears the Energizer Qi are more expensive and the Chinese knock-offs are the same price.
I tried the Nokia dt-900 Qi charging plate (which rings up at 80$ at Wireless Wave, the only place I could find them locally). It does not work consistently. It connects and disconnects continuously and the phone never charges. The battery does not seem to discharge, either; it just seems to stay put at the initial battery level. I would avoid this at all costs (for use with the Nexus 4).

I am considering this for the car, however: http://owlpad.net/carpad-for-nexus-4/.
Deal Addict
Feb 8, 2006
3648 posts
163 upvotes
Montreal
yeah once you start adding the cost of taxes, shipping, Nexus 4 bumper seperate shipping, 16gb version, charging orb,
the "value" proposition of this phone starts to go away.
thankfully the phone is actually good allround and somewhat worth it... I may pass on the charger though
Heatware: 2-0-0
eBay: 69-0-0
Deal Fanatic
Sep 26, 2006
5004 posts
488 upvotes
Toronto
cloneman wrote:
Feb 18th, 2013 7:52 pm
yeah once you start adding the cost of taxes, shipping, Nexus 4 bumper seperate shipping, 16gb version, charging orb,
thankfully the phone is actually good allround and somewhat worth it... I may pass on the charger though
Value is still there. Accessories aren't exactly out of line from regular retail pricing. The only thing I wish is if Google had released the accessories and phone at the exact same time for customers to avoid having to pay shipping up to 3 separate times.
Oct 29, 2009
536 posts
220 upvotes
cloneman wrote:
Feb 18th, 2013 7:52 pm
??

I ordered a phone + bumper and they all shipped together for a single shipping fee. Adding the bumper didn't change the shipping charge.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7515 posts
1431 upvotes
Does this acturally speed up the time for charging ?? I find wall plug that came with the phone to be very slow.

Thx.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Jun 14, 2012
1 posts
somebody should invent charging via wifi. I would pay big bucks for that :)
Jul 30, 2008
100 posts
10 upvotes
Canada
Just called videotron and there is no unit in stock atm. Maybe next thursday (they receive their shipment on thursday)
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2008
2255 posts
298 upvotes
hdom wrote:
Feb 19th, 2013 3:57 pm
Does this acturally speed up the time for charging ?? I find wall plug that came with the phone to be very slow.

Thx.
No.
Jan 19, 2008
770 posts
188 upvotes
Pierrefonds
Ok so let me get this straight: It's a charger shaped as a ball that doesn't require you to plug or unplug the wire from the phone to charge......simply laying the phone on it charges it. It doesn't charge the phone faster and it cost 10x more than a wired charger off ebay.

Right, in what way shape or form is this a hot deal? Even at $5 off you're paying a lot of money for the convenience of saving...what?....the 1-2 seconds it takes to plug / unplug the phone? (Which is ironic because you have to plug the orb in to begin with). Looks to me like anyone buying this is spending an extra $50 for the "5 second cool factor".