• Oct 30th, 2017 4:48 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
1852 posts
1194 upvotes
Vancouver

Nexus 6P users who purchased from google can RMA to a 32GB Pixel XL

This has been all over the www.reddit.com/r/Nexus6P subreddit for a day or so, but I didn't see it here.

If you purchased a Nexus 6P from Google, you probably have experienced the early shut down problem where the phone will turn off well before 0%, like 40%, or 60% or even worse (mine was doing 80%).

This has been a known issue, and people have been RMA'ing for refurbished Nexus 6P's until recently.

Now, if you contact Google and do a RMA, citing battery issues, Google will replace your Nexus 6P with a Pixel XL 32GB (128GB if you're in the US, but us Canadians get the short stick. Count your lucky stars cause lots in the UK don't get it).

Use your Settings > Support > Help menu to get a call back from Google and talk to them on the phone, chat works too.

This only works if you purchased via Google, not a carrier or Huawei directly.

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/Nexus6P/commen ... _and_they/

I've done this myself, and I look forward to not carrying a battery pack wherever I go now.

edit: for more info, check the Official thread on the nexus 6p subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Nexus6P/commen ... ma_thread/
Last edited by Sypsy on Sep 3rd, 2017 5:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
121 replies
Sep 22, 2009
57 posts
57 upvotes
Ottawa
What condition does the 6P need to be in? I have a 6P that I dropped and the screen is cracked in the right corner and has a dent, would they take this back?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
1852 posts
1194 upvotes
Vancouver
laxplaya wrote: What condition does the 6P need to be in? I have a 6P that I dropped and the screen is cracked in the right corner and has a dent, would they take this back?
Worth a shot!
Deal Addict
May 19, 2005
1237 posts
247 upvotes
Richmond Hill
It's worth noting that us Canadians can only get the 32GB Pixel XL and not the 128GB available to the US and UK.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
1852 posts
1194 upvotes
Vancouver
pennywize wrote: It's worth noting that us Canadians can only get the 32GB Pixel XL and not the 128GB available to the US and UK.
UK haven't gotten any, have they? Not that I read...
Deal Addict
May 19, 2005
1237 posts
247 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Sypsy wrote: UK haven't gotten any, have they? Not that I read...
I've read some UK people have been able to get the 128GB. Maybe depends on luck. But haven't heard of anyone in Canada get the 128GB.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
1852 posts
1194 upvotes
Vancouver
pennywize wrote: I've read some UK people have been able to get the 128GB. Maybe depends on luck. But haven't heard of anyone in Canada get the 128GB.
well, I'm still stoked that I no longer have to deal with a unreliable nexus 6p. I can swing 32gb just fine. 128gb would have been nice no doubt.
Banned
Apr 5, 2015
1281 posts
445 upvotes
Toronto, ON
If I'm not the original owner of my nexus 6p can I still rma somehow?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
1852 posts
1194 upvotes
Vancouver
futabasan wrote: If I'm not the original owner of my nexus 6p can I still rma somehow?
they ask for the IMEI number, so I guess they can see whether the phone was sold by Google, but it's worth a shot if you know the person who had it before you got it from google.
I really don't know enough. But it's just a phone call to see.

Settings > Support > Phone/Chat
Banned
Apr 5, 2015
1281 posts
445 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Sypsy wrote: they ask for the IMEI number, so I guess they can see whether the phone was sold by Google, but it's worth a shot if you know the person who had it before you got it from google.
I really don't know enough. But it's just a phone call to see.

Settings > Support > Phone/Chat
No chance if finding the person because I got it off Kijiji... I'll give it a shot.. Why not? Thanks op!
Jun 14, 2013
66 posts
29 upvotes
North York
futabasan wrote: No chance if finding the person because I got it off Kijiji... I'll give it a shot.. Why not? Thanks op!
Would like to know how it turned out, I bought mine from 'Buy n cell'. Not from any carrier but not from google itself either.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2003
2437 posts
446 upvotes
Toronto
Tried, no dice
Must be bought from google if not you need to deal with your provider...
They will ask for your IMEI and verify with the original owners info

Still this is amazing... like I always said Google and Apple price is worth every penny
and looks like Google's customer service is now surpassing Apple's
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
3300 posts
774 upvotes
Vancouver
laxplaya wrote: What condition does the 6P need to be in? I have a 6P that I dropped and the screen is cracked in the right corner and has a dent, would they take this back?
I have an inkling the 6p you're sending back needs to be in decent condition with the screen intact. When I did my RMA this afternoon the rep specifically asked me how the physical condition of my 6p was.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
1852 posts
1194 upvotes
Vancouver
litebrite wrote: I have an inkling the 6p you're sending back needs to be in decent condition with the screen intact. When I did my RMA this afternoon the rep specifically asked me how the physical condition of my 6p was.
who knows, tons of people still use their phone with a crack. I did with my nexus 5, I just put a screen protector on it.

You just need to mention the early shut down problem. Not that I'm recommending lying.

Are they sending you get a Pixel XL replacement?
Mar 26, 2005
432 posts
72 upvotes
Thanks for this post! Just called and the lady said it will be a new Pixel XL. I was not asked about the condition of my 6P either. She only asked what I have done to try and resolve the issue. I mentioned I had wiped the phone and started fresh but the same issues..
Sep 22, 2009
57 posts
57 upvotes
Ottawa
Ruffz wrote: Thanks for this post! Just called and the lady said it will be a new Pixel XL. I was not asked about the condition of my 6P either. She only asked what I have done to try and resolve the issue. I mentioned I had wiped the phone and started fresh but the same issues..
I called in as well and was offered a Pixel XL too. The representative asked what condition it was in so I said the screen had a crack in it and he said I would need to contact Huawei to get the screen fixed first or else I would be charged for the full cost if I sent it in as is. Anyone know what the cost of a screen replacement would be? I called Huawei and they said that my phone is actually a "US Region" phone so I would need to send it to the US service centre instead of the Canadian one. Told them I wasn't willing to do that since it was bought directly from Google Canada. Now waiting on a call back from Google to see what I can do now to get this screen fixed before getting the Pixel.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
1852 posts
1194 upvotes
Vancouver
Try craigslist or google some local shop
Sep 22, 2009
57 posts
57 upvotes
Ottawa
Sypsy wrote: Try craigslist or google some local shop
Ya, that is what I am doing. Seems like the price is going to be about $150-200 for a screen replacement.
Jun 2, 2009
113 posts
50 upvotes
Airdrie, AB
Dammit... RMA'd my Nexus 6P in early August due to the battery issue and they sent me a refurbished Nexus 6P. I should've waited. :(