Travel

Nexus card pointless traveling from Pearson to Cancun ?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 17th, 2019 8:02 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
3413 posts
655 upvotes

Nexus card pointless traveling from Pearson to Cancun ?

Sooooo I paid for my Nexus card and I'm in the process of applying for the rest of the family. The plan was to go to Mexico this year and each year after that for some trip outside of Canada, not necessarily the US.

I guess I didn't read it clearly but Nexus card doesn't help you when you travel overseas or to Mexico is that right or does it still help you speed up through the Pearson airport ?
I've generally travel via Southwest in Buffalo so I really don't know if the Nexus card actually helps at Pearson as I haven't used Pearson before. Thanks.
Heatware 3-0
Homer Simpson - Marge, don't discourage the boy! Weaseling out of things is what separates us from animals - except for the weasel.
13 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
3194 posts
1555 upvotes
Everywhere
At Pearson, there isn't a wait, or a very short one, in the Nexus line. I use it when I'm traveling domestically.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
4508 posts
787 upvotes
Toronto
useless if it is overseas. unless you stop in US everytime, then there's no point of getting it.
My Heatware no posting contact info in your sig
Jun 24, 2015
78 posts
47 upvotes
North York, ON
batcave wrote:
Mar 14th, 2019 11:16 am
At Pearson, there isn't a wait, or a very short one, in the Nexus line. I use it when I'm traveling domestically.
Same here. For me the NEXUS card pays for itself every time I come back from an overseas trip and use the NEXUS arrival kiosks instead of the usual customs kiosks. It's especially useful when there's a big crowd due to several international flights arriving within a short time.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
3194 posts
1555 upvotes
Everywhere
Phoenix82 wrote:
Mar 14th, 2019 11:49 am
Same here. For me the NEXUS card pays for itself every time I come back from an overseas trip and use the NEXUS arrival kiosks instead of the usual customs kiosks. It's especially useful when there's a big crowd due to several international flights arriving within a short time.
Forgot about this, probably because it is so second nature to me now. At first it seemed bizarre entering Canada from abroad (not US) and not requiring a passport.
Jan 31, 2007
400 posts
216 upvotes
marktang wrote:
Mar 14th, 2019 11:18 am
useless if it is overseas. unless you stop in US everytime, then there's no point of getting it.
There's still value when you arrive back home in Canada to avoid major lines
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
4726 posts
379 upvotes
Toronto
You can use the NEXUS machines to enter Canada when you return from Mexico, and avoid the queues for the regular machines.

Also on the way to Mexico, you can use the expedited Nexus security line to save you a few minutes as well.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2003
6705 posts
1316 upvotes
T dot 6
tkl wrote:
Mar 14th, 2019 11:10 am
I've generally travel via Southwest in Buffalo so I really don't know if the Nexus card actually helps at Pearson as I haven't used Pearson before. Thanks.
There is a Nexus only bridge to go to Niagara Falls. The Peace Bridge to go to Buffalo has a Nexus lane but it isnt as useful as the bridge to get to the lane is what gets clogged up. And with the Canadian dollar what it is against the US, the border lines usually aren't bad except long weekends.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/do-rb/offic ... 3-eng.html
stubhub and clearly.ca suck, like really suck
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
7690 posts
715 upvotes
8 minutes from Vanco…
The nexus line is shorter and sometimes the metal detector isn’t set as high. Just remove laptops but no need to remove liquids (though they often ask)

Returning using the nexus kiosks is the major perk. Especially if travelling carry on only or with priority bag tags.

The ultimate privilege is being separated from the masses who don’t travel often but then again they give nexus to any yahoo anyways. When travelling during peak business times you are surrounded by people who know the rules and that keeps things moving.

Remove your laptop remove your tablet. Don’t forget.

Also if nexus is closed. You get front of the line service. So there’s that. Helpful at billy bishop and other airports where nexus is closed (yyc frequently) though you must obey usual screening rules
Did I post something that interests you? Feel free to PM further questions.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
3413 posts
655 upvotes
Thanks everybody so it's not entirely useless coming back from overseas or Mexico because I can use it for the return kiosk.
Heatware 3-0
Homer Simpson - Marge, don't discourage the boy! Weaseling out of things is what separates us from animals - except for the weasel.
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
11275 posts
1512 upvotes
Mississauga
Even when flying domestically or to the US, there is usually a priority security line at Pearson that you can access with your NEXUS card.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2193 posts
1320 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
tkl wrote:
Mar 14th, 2019 7:19 pm
Thanks everybody so it's not entirely useless coming back from overseas or Mexico because I can use it for the return kiosk.
I have nexus and travel to Mexico often.

I use it for the priority screening line on departure and it’s generally quicker on the return to Canada once you land in Pearson.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2006
4086 posts
663 upvotes
At YYZ, it always takes me less than 1 minute from the time I enter the Canada immigration area, use the Nexus machines and exit into the baggage claim area.

Of course, once in the baggage claim area it's like 45-60 minutes there by the time you exit. I've switched to carry on only because of this.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
3073 posts
1061 upvotes
Phoenix82 wrote:
Mar 14th, 2019 11:49 am
This x100. Being able to skip the enormous line of despair when your flight arrives the same time as a massive load of flights comes in from Asia or Europe pays for itself.