NHL 2020 Stanley Cup Playoffs - The “Second Season” begins August 1st

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 1st, 2020 2:03 am
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2010
4756 posts
1110 upvotes
Abbottabad
Nice to see our boy Luke Schenn doing well with the Lightning.
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2009
3893 posts
2044 upvotes
Toronto
Can Hutch and the Avs pull off another tonight?
I'll say this - Pretty awesome how NHL offers varying redemption narratives.
Hutch was like a cancer for the Leafs, with many a fan thinking they'd never hear about him again after he was dealt.
His win was definitely due to the Avs going on an offensive rampage - sure hope they do so again.
Who doesn't want to root for the Bad News Bears?
Go Hutch!

Edit - he pulls it off. Now just one more, to finish the series.
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2009
3893 posts
2044 upvotes
Toronto
Some exciting hockey today/tonight.

Will Hutch and the Avs complete the comeback in game 7, after being down 3-1?
Will Fleury prove his worth to a team and coach who have disrespected him, and take Vegas to the next round?
Or will the Canucks perservere, and prevent what has become the regular "No Canada" for the final rounds of playoffs?
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2010
4756 posts
1110 upvotes
Abbottabad
Yawn

Hockey still going on?
Hm didn't even know.
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2009
3893 posts
2044 upvotes
Toronto
iamskyhigh wrote: Yawn

Hockey still going on?
Hm didn't even know.
So.... You are saying you are oblivious?
(Looks at negative reactionary Raptors/NBA posts)
Story checks out..... Face Savouring Delicious Food

Edit - Alas, the Hutch was not clutch in game 7, losing in OT.
Avs took the lead late in the 3rd - 10 seconds later, the game was tied.
Bummer - would have been sweet for them to advance.

Edit2 - And Fleury did not get the start - Lehner went back to back nights
The No Canada tradition continues!
Deal Addict
May 28, 2005
2162 posts
193 upvotes
Is hockey dead on RFD??? No posts in this thread for 3 weeks Face With Tears Of Joy not even a mention of Tampa winning the Stanley Cup !
signature removed for rule violations - no referrals allowed
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2017
1929 posts
610 upvotes
DT Calgary
Wilmega wrote: Is hockey dead on RFD??? No posts in this thread for 3 weeks Face With Tears Of Joy not even a mention of Tampa winning the Stanley Cup !
The viewership is way down on the NHL. I honestly didn't even know Tampa Bay won until this post lol.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
1904 posts
1817 upvotes
it was weird to see players skate around hoisting the cup in a empty arena...
Oct 14, 2009
659 posts
229 upvotes
Windsor, Ont.
Wilmega wrote: Is hockey dead on RFD??? No posts in this thread for 3 weeks Face With Tears Of Joy not even a mention of Tampa winning the Stanley Cup !
It was difficult to be emotionally invested in this one. It felt like most of the teams I like or hate were out after the second round. I still watched, but I didn't really have a preference on who won.
Dreamrider wrote: it was weird to see players skate around hoisting the cup in a empty arena...
Not as weird as not hearing the boos rain down when Bettman stepped out.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
12561 posts
2010 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
I sort of watched game six, but when it was 2-0, I knew that it was goodbye for Dallas. I watched the previous games, more or less. I was hoping for Vegas. Don't know how Dallas got pass them, with 10 shots per game.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2012
6665 posts
948 upvotes
Ottawa
Dreamrider wrote: it was weird to see players skate around hoisting the cup in a empty arena...
To me, this is an asterisk win.
Oct 14, 2009
659 posts
229 upvotes
Windsor, Ont.
rabbit wrote: I sort of watched game six, but when it was 2-0, I knew that it was goodbye for Dallas. I watched the previous games, more or less. I was hoping for Vegas. Don't know how Dallas got pass them, with 10 shots per game.
It was definitely one of those games where you got the feeling early on that Dallas wasn't going to score. Disappointing for a final game.
ConsoleWatcher wrote: To me, this is an asterisk win.
It's hard to say. I think in the end, the team that was probably the best, did win. And by the end of it, the games largely seemed normal.

I think there were some oddities early on that you could put an asterisk beside. I'd assume that teams that skew a bit older in age had a tougher time restarting. And that would probably explain why a team expected to be a contenders, like Pittsburgh fell out early against younger teams. And maybe why teams that were better structurally, like NYI went deep.

Probably the biggest asterisk on Tampa's win would be the fact that what should have been their biggest rival in Boston had their starting goalie just pack up and leave. Especially considering how Tampa didn't have to end up going through the other top seeds in the East.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
12561 posts
2010 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Yeah, Boston and their flakey goalies. Tim Thomas, now Rask.

And I forgot to mention that in game six, late in the game and Dallas had the power play, I thought they should have pulled their goalie then, for a two-man advantage. They needed two goals and they needed them quick. At that point (was it 3min + change left?), I think it was worth the risk.