Expired Hot Deals

nhl.tv 4.99 USD preliminary round VPN Required

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 25th, 2020 2:22 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2008
1218 posts
210 upvotes

nhl.tv 4.99 USD preliminary round VPN Required

If you go to nhl.com using USA VPN you can sign up and includes all games in preliminary round as long as you change your VPN connection to be out of market of the home team. I already re-upped for SNOW at 19.99 but may sign up for this as well to compare quality. If we assume they will charge 4.99 per round , then cost could be 25 usd for entire season vs 40.00 for SNOW... I guess with the exchange the cost will be about the same in Cdn dollars but if quality is better on NHL.TV then may be better to go with that.. also noticed only game on CBC is the 1st Montreal game of preliminary round? Not sure if this is because this technically is not the playoffs yet so not sure if CBC will show more games starting in the fist round or be adding more to preliminary round?
16 replies
Sr. Member
Aug 15, 2003
696 posts
435 upvotes
Thanks for the idea. Just tried another option. If you use a VPN of another country (such as in Europe), you can get the playoffs for 20 USD.
Newbie
Jul 14, 2010
69 posts
56 upvotes
Montreal
From my experience a VPN is not enough. Unless someone has managed to get it to work, but I had to use a website called unlocator to be able to watch games out of my network.

I used to watch the NHL games from my PS4 using the NHL app and it worked ok but a bit laggy, even though I have 120mbps

Not sure how I'm going to watch the playoffs yet
Sr. Member
Aug 15, 2003
696 posts
435 upvotes
stjonnypopo wrote: From my experience a VPN is not enough. Unless someone has managed to get it to work, but I had to use a website called unlocator to be able to watch games out of my network.

I used to watch the NHL games from my PS4 using the NHL app and it worked ok but a bit laggy, even though I have 120mbps

Not sure how I'm going to watch the playoffs yet
Looks like they've tightened things up, unfortunately. Not likely to work after all.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2006
1020 posts
478 upvotes
stjonnypopo wrote: From my experience a VPN is not enough. Unless someone has managed to get it to work, but I had to use a website called unlocator to be able to watch games out of my network.

I used to watch the NHL games from my PS4 using the NHL app and it worked ok but a bit laggy, even though I have 120mbps

Not sure how I'm going to watch the playoffs yet
unlocator is a vpn....
Yes you probably need to use VPN when watching it and yes its possible that they may block some popular vpn servers
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 23, 2005
1845 posts
610 upvotes
Montréal, QC
I use IronSocket's SmartDNS feature, works like a charm with NHL.tv and Hulu
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 21, 2006
1886 posts
247 upvotes
Maybe it's me but even though we have Covid and limited options, I am not that interested.
But enjoy everyone!
It used to be only death and taxes were inevitable. Now, of course, there's shipping and handling, too.
Newbie
Jul 14, 2010
69 posts
56 upvotes
Montreal
bryceton wrote: unlocator is a vpn....
Yes you probably need to use VPN when watching it and yes its possible that they may block some popular vpn servers
Unlocator is also a smart dns....

What I'm saying is a VPN alone doesn't work, unlocator uses a smart DNS to change your location.
Sr. Member
Dec 5, 2005
822 posts
494 upvotes
Cambridge,Ontario
jblade44 wrote: If you go to nhl.com using USA VPN you can sign up and includes all games in preliminary round as long as you change your VPN connection to be out of market of the home team. I already re-upped for SNOW at 19.99 but may sign up for this as well to compare quality. If we assume they will charge 4.99 per round , then cost could be 25 usd for entire season vs 40.00 for SNOW... I guess with the exchange the cost will be about the same in Cdn dollars but if quality is better on NHL.TV then may be better to go with that.. also noticed only game on CBC is the 1st Montreal game of preliminary round? Not sure if this is because this technically is not the playoffs yet so not sure if CBC will show more games starting in the fist round or be adding more to preliminary round?
Schedule is here there is 2 games on CBC but all are also on some SN channel as well. You better bet that SN is looking to grab some ratings and advertising $

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-round-robi ... -317365910
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2014
1323 posts
1106 upvotes
M33 wrote: Looks like they've tightened things up, unfortunately. Not likely to work after all.
That's why you use something like nhll66 .ir :)
Newbie
Nov 15, 2016
31 posts
25 upvotes
What’s the quality like? Is there any way to get a 4k stream?
Sr. Member
Nov 20, 2008
965 posts
303 upvotes
MJB wrote: Maybe it's me but even though we have Covid and limited options, I am not that interested.
But enjoy everyone!
Imagine everyone on this forum posting they weren't interested in every thread they weren't interested in for absolutely no reason other than the fact they are not interested.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2014
1323 posts
1106 upvotes
JasonT428980 wrote: What’s the quality like? Is there any way to get a 4k stream?
I think it's 720p60fps. No one streams NHL in 4K, hardly get pure 1080p60fps.
Newbie
Aug 23, 2019
62 posts
9 upvotes
I won't be surprised at all if they move all of the playoff games to Sportsnet, Sportsnet 360 and One.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2008
2372 posts
851 upvotes
North York
1C5 wrote: Imagine everyone on this forum posting they weren't interested in every thread they weren't interested in for absolutely no reason other than the fact they are not interested.
@MJB

I watched opening day baseball last night and the whole thing was really sad. Understandably they can't stop talking about covid because different players keep getting it and there are no fans. The whole thing struck me as very sad and was not a distracting escape from life like tv sports used to be. If NHL is going to be the same, I think even 5 bucks might be steep.

Top