[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
24399 posts
33437 upvotes
Toronto

Niagara Falls Marineland. Possible sale

Hope new owners shut down this dump

I'm serious as cancer when I say rhythm is a dancer.
20 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
8435 posts
5314 upvotes
Mississauga
Coudn’t happen to a nicer company…
Apr 12, 2009
450 posts
107 upvotes
But they have the most catchy commercials... I have never been there but now that I have kids might be time.
Dec 26, 2008
949 posts
564 upvotes
No, please dont attend Marineland or any other park with captive aquatic animals. I would guess this is one reason why the company had financial troubles as awareness has grown among families.

Intelligent whales and dolphins are abused under these settings. They belong in the oceans. You can easily google the horror stories of these animals, the amount of times they lashed back at their captors and the amount of times whales and dolphins have saved human lives.

This park needs to either go or completely change its name and MO to be a theme park without animals.
Oct 22, 2020
110 posts
91 upvotes
Shoppersbeermart wrote: No, please dont attend Marineland or any other park with captive aquatic animals. I would guess this is one reason why the company had financial troubles as awareness has grown among families.

Intelligent whales and dolphins are abused under these settings. They belong in the oceans. You can easily google the horror stories of these animals, the amount of times they lashed back at their captors and the amount of times whales and dolphins have saved human lives.

This park needs to either go or completely change its name and MO to be a theme park without animals.
Keep in mind that these parks are the only point of exposure for the majority of people / kids. Where do you draw the line on what you can keep in captivity? Would you be amenable if say it were mandated that 50% of ticket price went to conservation / research / education?
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2011
2129 posts
749 upvotes
Shoppersbeermart wrote: No, please dont attend Marineland or any other park with captive aquatic animals. I would guess this is one reason why the company had financial troubles as awareness has grown among families.

Intelligent whales and dolphins are abused under these
This is ridiculous, you have been brainwashed by too much green animal welfare propaganda.
Which zoo, farm didn't have captive animals, or kill animals. What evidence do you have to prove marine mammals are smarter than dog pig or horse?
You should boycott all grocery stores that sell meat, so we don't see you a couple of weeks later, lol.
<signature removed>
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2003
3849 posts
1492 upvotes
napoleonbot wrote: This is ridiculous, you have been brainwashed by too much green animal welfare propaganda.
Which zoo, farm didn't have captive animals, or kill animals. What evidence do you have to prove marine mammals are smarter than dog pig or horse?
You should boycott all grocery stores that sell meat, so we don't see you a couple of weeks later, lol.
I get what you’re trying to say, but it’s been well-documented how poorly Marineland and other outfits have treated animals in their captivity.
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
26728 posts
5863 upvotes
kelaaa wrote: Keep in mind that these parks are the only point of exposure for the majority of people / kids. Where do you draw the line on what you can keep in captivity? Would you be amenable if say it were mandated that 50% of ticket price went to conservation / research / education?
We as a species need to realize we aren't entitled to see whales and dolphins up close, and we sure as hell have no business capturing them just so we can watch them do tricks. How selfish is that?

I went to Marineland as a kid many times. I loved it there. I have great memories of it. Now I know better. My kid will never go to that place or any other place with captive marine life. These places should be out of business. If they go under, then we'll stop capturing these animals just to put them on display. It blows my mind it's even still legal in this country with everything we know.
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
26728 posts
5863 upvotes
napoleonbot wrote: This is ridiculous, you have been brainwashed by too much green animal welfare propaganda.
If you're comparing meat in a grocery store to whales living in captivity, then you really have no business being part of this discussion.
Oct 22, 2020
110 posts
91 upvotes
Shaner wrote: We as a species need to realize we aren't entitled to see whales and dolphins up close, and we sure as hell have no business capturing them just so we can watch them do tricks. How selfish is that?
Can you explain your position on where you draw the line? Are you against all forms of zoos? Or is it something particular about marine mammals?

I don't want to key in on the word "capture" too much, but if a facility was self sufficient in terms of breeding in captivity, then would that be okay?
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
26728 posts
5863 upvotes
kelaaa wrote: Can you explain your position on where you draw the line? Are you against all forms of zoos? Or is it something particular about marine mammals?

I don't want to key in on the word "capture" too much, but if a facility was self sufficient in terms of breeding in captivity, then would that be okay?
There's no set line that can capture every scenario. It's not that black and white. Marine life is different though. They are used to an entire ocean, and that cannot be replicated in a large tank. Marine life should never be held in captivity.

AS for zoos, again, it varies. Why are the animals there? Were they injured or already captive elsewhere? Can the zoo mimic their natural environment? There's other factors at play. I do not believe in holding animals captive just for the sake of profit or our amusement.
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2011
2129 posts
749 upvotes
you really have no business being part of this discussion.
Here you go, extreme and fundamentalist.
We as a species .... How selfish is that?
We as a species capture, raise, eat and enslave animals for meat/pet/show since time, husbandry is where human civilization start.
I went to Marineland as a kid many times.... My kid will never go to that place or any other place with captive marine life.
See, the story is same - a mammal in a pool, eh? But an extreme and absurd green ideology can quickly make it upside down and occupy a healthy brain, and victim is done for the life.
Shaner wrote: There's no set line that can capture every scenario.
I guess you should say the line is captured wild marine life for commercial purpose, yeah but how this is worse than fishing?
Marine life is different though.
Scientific evidence pls, not from the <Flipper> though.
They are used to an entire ocean, and that cannot be replicated in a large tank.
OK, no more fish tank allowed, got it, LOL. Who told you they used to ENTIRE ocean? what about a fish, what is exactly different between dolphin and dog, fish, horse, etc?
<signature removed>
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
2639 posts
2193 upvotes
GTA West
I think the site has some great possibilities for various kinds of development that exploit the tourist magnetism of the falls. Location, location, location!

I think we are all tired of the Marineland/Seaworld concept by now.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
24399 posts
33437 upvotes
Toronto
I'm serious as cancer when I say rhythm is a dancer.
Deal Expert
Jun 20, 2020
16406 posts
21484 upvotes
Toronto
sprung wrote: Hope new owners shut down this dump
Still open in 2022

Very recent review video

Weirdest Theme Park

"Marineland is a massive amusement and animal park on the Canadian side of Niagara Falls. This theme park features a small, but unique ride lineup with rides such as Dragon Mountain and Sky Screamer. Then you also have sea and land creatures scattered about. But the most notable thing about this park is how weird it is. Find out why in this review!"
Destiny is all
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
7331 posts
3470 upvotes
Seems so empty, it was a different time back then. When I was young, there were lots of people. Of course, as a youngster I didn't know much & was oblivious
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2009
1595 posts
960 upvotes
Windsor, ON area
I wish that place would close down already.

I have boycotted all zoos except for ones run as non-profits for the betterment of the animal ie saving endangered species and wildlife parks with protection and rehabilitation as their main goal.

The expose done on Marineland a few years ago was an eye opener. Very heartbreaking the condition and treatment of the animals.
Feb 18, 2007
177 posts
21 upvotes
Wow I've never been to this theme park ever and I've lived in Toronto all my life. I think I want to check it out for fun.

I hope it's like Seaworld, that place was interesting.
Oct 25, 2017
991 posts
1027 upvotes
Good, I hope they close down. I cringe every time I hear the commercials for this place. Honestly if you do a quick Google search you can see why this place needs to be shut down, blatant disregard for anything but the bottom line.

There’s no brainwashing or greenwashing or whatever you want to call it, they are simply a garbage organisation. There are zoos and aquatic centres that do great conservation work, Marineland is no where near that tier.
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2006
1300 posts
1025 upvotes
Ottawa
Great video, and more good vids on his channels: