Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Niche Coffee

Niche Zero Grinder (Pre-Order) for 499 GBP + 70 GBP shipping to Canada

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 26th, 2022 12:41 am
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2012
1041 posts
926 upvotes
Ottawa
D0ntgiveajack wrote: Check out 1zpresso JX pro for espresso grind or any other grind

It’s a manual grinder but apparently it’s endgame quality for about $200 Cad
This manual works very well and is light work. I used it all summer while camping for my wife and I. When I'm at home, i use my eureka grinder for day to day and use the manual 1zpresso jx pro for odd decafe here and there.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2012
3992 posts
2937 upvotes
Calgary
game_fanatic wrote: Genuinely curious as I'd like to jump on a burr grinder one day, but what would make this $1000 unit substantially better than a $150-$200 unit like the OXO, Baratza, etc?
Obviously from your query, you're not a coffee snob. That's a very good thing for your pocket book esp if you can't taste the difference. FWIW Baratza also sells a range of higher end grinders, some of which are >$1k.

Far's coffee aficionados goes, the theory of importance (beans aside) for hardware, is grinder > espresso maker. IMO, it could be the difference btwn bitter or 'sweet' (if one can ever call an espresso shot as that) espresso. Anyhoos, differences are quality of grind, uniformity of grind, consistency of grind, reliability of grinder, etc etc.

I guess its alot like any other enthusiast driven hobbies.
Oct 17, 2003
516 posts
149 upvotes
Fredericton
trixR4kids wrote: Anyone recommend any other grinders to consider around this price range?
DF64 (there's at least one online seller in Canada, about $650) or one of the Eureka Mignon grinders with 3d printed parts to make them single dose. Thanks for whoever posted that the Oro single dose is up for preorder. I figured it was going to be well over $1000, since it's an XL under the hood. Then again you don't really need all the electronics for single dosing!
Apr 7, 2007
782 posts
320 upvotes
Calgary, AB
I wonder how this would compare to a Rancilio Rocky? I bought one like the day before 9/11 20 years ago and it's still working great. Had to replace a little spring in the doser but other than that it's a tank. Have to clean it periodically.
May 13, 2013
306 posts
211 upvotes
Toronto
It might be worth getting it from idrinkcoffee if it's $850 for peace of mind/warranty.

It's only marginally cheaper from EspressoCoffeeShop, who also just sent out an email about it this week.
https://www.espressocoffeeshop.com/en/s ... tage-220_v

As a data point, I wasn't charged duties on this when I ordered my Silenzio, just 13% taxes, brokerage $10+tax.
May 18, 2018
752 posts
777 upvotes
GCSaves wrote: It might be worth getting it from idrinkcoffee if it's $850 for peace of mind/warranty.

It's only marginally cheaper from EspressoCoffeeShop, who also just sent out an email about it this week.
https://www.espressocoffeeshop.com/en/s ... tage-220_v

As a data point, I wasn't charged duties on this when I ordered my Silenzio, just 13% taxes, brokerage $10+tax.
100% I would go for Eureka Mignon Single Dosing vs. the Niche:
- 65mm flat burrs - flat burrs is probably what all the cafe's use, so you will be getting the flavour profile similar to your local hipster coffee shop
- you can get it serviced in Canada by Idrinkcoffee (huge pro)
- this is a well known Italian brand which is known for taking care of its customers, it's been making grinders for like a 100 years and these grinders are assembled in Italy (Niche is assembled in China)
- cheaper

IDC link for pre-order:
https://idrinkcoffee.com/products/eurek ... %3D.tuA5ie

Niche (IMO) is a really good looking, high quality conical burr grinder and I'd love to have one on my kitchen counter, however until they are more widely available and sold by a canadian retailer, I won't consider it.

Niche will also come to about a total of $1200 CAD with all the duties and taxes. Source: Reddit
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2009
1415 posts
1111 upvotes
Montreal
game_fanatic wrote: Thank you both, I'm definitely an amateur when it comes to brewing my own coffee (despite how much I tend to consume). I use a cheap $20 Krups grinder to mash up my $10 bag of Zavida beans from Costco to use in my $100 Cuisinart coffee maker. I would like to bolster my setup a bit, once my coffeemaker bites the dust I'll look at upgrading to something a bit more substantial (a Moccomaster, perhaps?) and get a nice grinder to boot.
I have a Moccamaster and I love it. It does take some getting used to for half pots. Also if you prefer dark roasts this may not be the best choice as it does brew on the hot side (too hot for dark roast in my experience).

If you only do drip or pour over you don’t need a Niche or another expensive grinder but a Baratza Encore will last a long time and is user serviceable (I’m still using a First Gen Virtuoso that’s 10 years old).
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2009
1415 posts
1111 upvotes
Montreal
PanchoVilla wrote: 100% I would go for Eureka Mignon Single Dosing vs. the Niche:
- 65mm flat burrs - flat burrs is probably what all the cafe's use, so you will be getting the flavour profile similar to your local hipster coffee shop
- this is a well known Italian brand which is known for taking care of its customers, it's been making grinders for like a 100 years and these grinders are assembled in Italy (Niche is assembled in China)
- cheaper

IDC link for pre-order:

Niche (IMO) is a really good looking, high quality conical burr grinder and I'd love to have one on my kitchen counter, however until they are more widely available and sold by a canadian retailer, I won't consider it.

Niche will also come to about a total of $1200 CAD with all the duties and taxes. Source: Reddit
+1. I’m a Baratza fanboy but If I didn’t invest in a Sette 30 and upgrades for my Espresso I’d go for a Eureka or even an Ascaso (also a fan of their espresso machines). Sette 30 with the fine adjustment ring is fast, hardly any retention, easy to clean but dang it’s noisy.
Feb 25, 2017
232 posts
294 upvotes
BC
PanchoVilla wrote: 100% I would go for Eureka Mignon Single Dosing vs. the Niche:
- cheaper

IDC link for pre-order:

The Eureka Oro single-doser looks like a strong Niche competitor on paper, but Eureka seems to have cut some corners with this grinder (at least from pre-production reviews). They basically re-used the Mignon XL shell and propped it on an inclined base -- you can see the slot on the front where the portafilter hook would have been, as well as the vestigial front on-demand button.

Also, it seems like the bellows isn't very effective because the bean gate creates a gap, meaning a lot of air escapes out of the hopper neck instead of blowing into the grinding chamber.

Finally, the adjustment knob has a more limited thread range, meaning that you won't be able to grind fine enough for filter coffee beyond maybe an Aeropress (or certain V60 methods), and certainly not coarse enough for French Press (meaning it's primarily an espresso grinder, much like the Baratza Sette 270).

Check out Home-Barista thread for more info.
Sep 5, 2007
755 posts
45 upvotes
have one, never regret. Love the machine.

1 year ownership.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2008
1129 posts
1872 upvotes
Montreal
randomroyalty wrote: +1. I’m a Baratza fanboy but If I didn’t invest in a Sette 30 and upgrades for my Espresso I’d go for a Eureka or even an Ascaso (also a fan of their espresso machines). Sette 30 with the fine adjustment ring is fast, hardly any retention, easy to clean but dang it’s noisy.
You did good with baratza, their customer service is amazing. They fixed my sette 270wi multiple times out of warranty free of charge. All I had to pay for shipping to them, return shipping was free.

I'm sold on Baratza and I always recommend it to anyone that asks
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2008
1890 posts
312 upvotes
Montréal
jtking wrote: As a newbie I am shopping for a burr grinder to replace a blade grinder. Mostly make Moka pot or pour over coffee now but likely will get an espresso machine later. Is Baratza Sette 270 a good "all-purpose" grinder?
Baratza Sette will do a great job for espresso. But it's very loud and it will break. It's easy to replace different parts, but it will break.
I feel the need... the need for speed.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2008
1890 posts
312 upvotes
Montréal
Georgie336 wrote: Contemplating getting the oro or just grabbing a fellow ode at half the price. I don't make espresso right now (retired my cafe Roma - could not make a decent shot) just chemex and v60 but kind of want to get a robot or la pavoni lever in the future.
Just got myself a La Pavoni lever espresso machine. It's fantastic, I'm in love. Were you using the cafe Rome with the pressurized basket of the non pressurized basket? If with the non pressurized basket, then you needed a real espresso grinder.
I feel the need... the need for speed.
Jun 25, 2005
794 posts
467 upvotes
Why stop at the Niche, just go all in for the Kafatek Monolith Flat Max for $3250 US dollars?
Dec 3, 2008
527 posts
134 upvotes
Bomberman07 wrote: Just got myself a La Pavoni lever espresso machine. It's fantastic, I'm in love. Were you using the cafe Rome with the pressurized basket of the non pressurized basket? If with the non pressurized basket, then you needed a real espresso grinder.
I was using it with both, I could make 'adequate' shots never great ones, then I moved within 500m of a fantastic cafe so I just get espresso there on weekends. My grinder is the smart grinder pro - so Ive been itching for a new grinder.

Why did you chose the La Pavoni? I'm curious if I will mind heating water seperately.
Jun 25, 2005
794 posts
467 upvotes
Jonick wrote: You did good with baratza, their customer service is amazing. They fixed my sette 270wi multiple times out of warranty free of charge. All I had to pay for shipping to them, return shipping was free.

I'm sold on Baratza and I always recommend it to anyone that asks
But why recommend Baratza if it breaks in the first place?

My Vario-W broke multiple times as well and eventually sold it off. Parts were covered by warranty but I don’t want to deal with the downtime.
Jun 4, 2011
547 posts
865 upvotes
Toronto
- cheaper

IDC link for pre-order:

Eh I mean its a grinder, they rarely go wrong, and are quite simple, burrs, grind chamber, and motor, not a lot to really go wrong. I have a mignon and it is a decent grinder but retention is quite high. The age of a company really doesn't have much play here, Eureka still is by no means a massive player in the consumer grinder scene. I mean personally I wouldn't go with the niche either but I think the mignon is a little pricey at ~$800. If you are at all handy take a look at the used market, there are tons of deals to be had.
Jul 1, 2021
3 posts
1 upvote
game_fanatic wrote: Thank you both, I'm definitely an amateur when it comes to brewing my own coffee (despite how much I tend to consume). I use a cheap $20 Krups grinder to mash up my $10 bag of Zavida beans from Costco to use in my $100 Cuisinart coffee maker. I would like to bolster my setup a bit, once my coffeemaker bites the dust I'll look at upgrading to something a bit more substantial (a Moccomaster, perhaps?) and get a nice grinder to boot.
If you have an interest in making espresso based drinks, it may be worth keeping an eye out for sales posted at Bed Bath & Beyond. They often have pretty decent "starter" machines like the Breville Barista Express that you can get on sale and stack a coupon with.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)