Entertainment

"Night Court" Sequel Series in Development at NBC With John Larroquette, Melissa Rauch

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 21st, 2020 9:36 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
5059 posts
2866 upvotes
Toronto

"Night Court" Sequel Series in Development at NBC With John Larroquette, Melissa Rauch

What?!?!?!

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/night- ... 234864038/
A sequel series to “Night Court” is in development at NBC, Variety has confirmed.

The followup to the classic sitcom will see original series star John Larroquette return as Dan Fielding. “Big Bang Theory” alum Melissa Rauch is attached as an executive producer on the series.

The new multi-cam show would follow unapologetic optimist judge Abby Stone, daughter of the original series character Harry Stone, as she follows in her father’s footsteps as she presides over the night shift of a Manhattan arraignment court. She tries to bring order to its crew of oddballs and cynics, most notably former night court prosecutor Fielding (Larroquette). Harry Stone was played by Harry Anderson in the original series. Anderson passed away in 2018.
14 replies
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
5059 posts
2866 upvotes
Toronto
newt_101 wrote: I was going to say more like 'How?!?!?!?!'
I enjoyed watching as a kid (was 9 years old when it started), but always felt it was a second fiddle show, especially when compared to Cheers. It was never a show I specifically aimed to watch in the evenings. I also think I only really got into it when the earlier seasons were syndicated and broadcasted on a daily basis either late afternoon, or early evening. For a kid, Judge Stone was a fun character - loved his weird sense of humour, his appreciation of magic, and his niche love for the music of Mel Torme. Looking back, I think what I liked most with him was the feeling that it was OK to be both different and eccentric.

I wonder how the original series holds up with modern eyes? My guess - pretty cheesy.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
12017 posts
2630 upvotes
shikotee wrote: I enjoyed watching as a kid (was 9 years old when it started), but always felt it was a second fiddle show, especially when compared to Cheers. It was never a show I specifically aimed to watch in the evenings. I also think I only really got into it when the earlier seasons were syndicated and broadcasted on a daily basis either late afternoon, or early evening. For a kid, Judge Stone was a fun character - loved his weird sense of humour, his appreciation of magic, and his niche love for the music of Mel Torme. Looking back, I think what I liked most with him was the feeling that it was OK to be both different and eccentric.

I wonder how the original series holds up with modern eyes? My guess - pretty cheesy.
They did a lot of slapstick humor, so it was a bit cheesy even back then. They once had Wile E Coyote as a defendant. I personally loved the series as a kid. I don't know if that style would work today... or if a modernized version is going to be true to the original. One good thing about that show was that it needed a lot of extras and gave a lot of young or lesser known actors a chance to work like Brent Spiner, Nana Visitor, Michael Richards, Fran Drescher... Those are a few that I can think off the top of my head.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 5, 2006
5940 posts
2892 upvotes
Global Village
Why come up with something original when you can keep recycling old shows...
They must have been pleased with the response to the saved by the bell recycling.
All day I dream about sports
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
5059 posts
2866 upvotes
Toronto
joeyjoejoe wrote: They did a lot of slapstick humor, so it was a bit cheesy even back then. They once had Wile E Coyote as a defendant. I personally loved the series as a kid. I don't know if that style would work today... or if a modernized version is going to be true to the original. One good thing about that show was that it needed a lot of extras and gave a lot of young or lesser known actors a chance to work like Brent Spiner, Nana Visitor, Michael Richards, Fran Drescher... Those are a few that I can think off the top of my head.
Oh yeah - wasn't Spiner the newspaper stand guy, or something like that.
Since I had jumped on board somewhere mid-series, I was totally thrown off watching in sindication where for at least the first season, that older lady was the bailiff, instead of Bull.

I wonder how they would portray Dan Fielding as an older man.
I would imagine many of the old jokes pertaining to his hightened sexuality and perpetual sleaziness would seem disturbing for modern eyes.

Lastly - loved the theme song. Now I have it playing in my head, lol

Last edited by shikotee on Dec 17th, 2020 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
26397 posts
3419 upvotes
Montreal
Yeah, ummm, half the humor in the original show wouldn't pass in 2021:

[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
5059 posts
2866 upvotes
Toronto
mr_raider wrote: Yeah, ummm, half the humor in the original show wouldn't pass in 2021:

Playback on other websites unavailable.
Can only be watched directly through Youtube.
YouTube just keeps getting slimier....
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
5059 posts
2866 upvotes
Toronto
ji2o0k wrote: ^ that wasn't too bad.....pretty harmless....
Agreed. Nothing non-consensual there.
Maybe the character's sleaziness was carefully crafted, and would hold up?
Laraquette did win several Emmy's for the role.
The character was very popular - I always looked forward to his one liners and sexual escapades.
As I recall, while it was true he was sleazy, they also showed that deep down he wasn't a total monster.
I think the bigger no-no's would be his constant hitting on Markie Post (who only joined the cast after a season or two).
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2014
1044 posts
314 upvotes
Regina, SK
shikotee wrote: Since I had jumped on board somewhere mid-series, I was totally thrown off watching in sindication where for at least the first season, that older lady was the bailiff, instead of Bull.
It was the same for me the first time seeing season 1 in syndication. Where is Mac, Christine and Roz? Despite being cast members for most of the shows run it was jarring to realize the didn't start until season 2, 3 and 4 respectively.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
14740 posts
4228 upvotes
Montréal
ji2o0k wrote: Markie Post back in the day......goodness.......
Oh my, yes, indeed lol.

Someone mentioned this show was the springboard for future stars, but I wonder which show had the most successful ones? I'd vote for Growing Pains. Wonder if there's a source somewhere that compares this factoid?
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
5059 posts
2866 upvotes
Toronto
One of my favourite SNL parodies from back in the day was when John Larroquette (riding high from his Nightcourt fame) hosted. Anyone who watched TV during the 80's will remember that these sorts of compilation album commercials were on TV very often.

Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
6574 posts
2948 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Watching as reruns... Markie Post va va voom!! Stone's dad was also hilarious... believe same actor as Addams Family tv show which was way before my time.

Doubt a sequel which does not have all/many of the originals will last but hey, give it a chance.
July 13, 2017 to October 25, 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime rate next day each time.

2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited and waited to drop its prime rate to include all 3 drops.