• Apr 21st, 2015 9:35 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 24, 2002
980 posts
49 upvotes

Nighthawk R7000 USB ReadyShare Access Denied windows

I've been pulling my hair with this config. I'm trying to set up the USB Share on the router and access it on my 2 pc with win7
I've changed the default Device Name to R7000 and the Sharename to the drive is 2TB

I'm able to share it with the default set up with Red and Write access as "All no password" and access them via \\r7000\2TB.

As soon as I change it to Read/Write Access to "admin" which is same login to the router.... When I tried to open it in win7, it prompts me to the Windows Security Pop up to enter the password
By default it selects the computer name as Domain , I tried the following and each time i get access is denied

1. username = admin and the router password
2. username = \admin and the router password
3. username = r7000\admin and the router password

none of them works...
Is there anyway to password protect the drive and still have access?

Can anyone confirm that they can have access to a USB drive via the router with PASSWORD access?
4 replies
[OP]
Nov 24, 2002
980 posts
49 upvotes
Anyone with the Netgear router try a test ... to plug in an external drive to their router and manage the ReadyShare with a Password ( by selecting the user admin - thats the only choice you have ) ?
Let me know if you have the same problem accessing the drive
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2010
1495 posts
566 upvotes
Gotcha wrote: I've been pulling my hair with this config. I'm trying to set up the USB Share on the router and access it on my 2 pc with win7
I've changed the default Device Name to R7000 and the Sharename to the drive is 2TB

I'm able to share it with the default set up with Red and Write access as "All no password" and access them via \\r7000\2TB.

As soon as I change it to Read/Write Access to "admin" which is same login to the router.... When I tried to open it in win7, it prompts me to the Windows Security Pop up to enter the password
By default it selects the computer name as Domain , I tried the following and each time i get access is denied

1. username = admin and the router password
2. username = \admin and the router password
3. username = r7000\admin and the router password

none of them works...
Is there anyway to password protect the drive and still have access?

Can anyone confirm that they can have access to a USB drive via the router with PASSWORD access?
Which password are you using when logging in ? The user name may be the same but password has to be usb share specific (not your router's password)

I have ddwrt on a different router and I have to setup a different password for usb sharing on the same screen where I put in the usb share settings
[OP]
Nov 24, 2002
980 posts
49 upvotes
the notes i read mentioned it has to be the router user/password.
Since only user is "admin" which is the only available option in the drop down to choose the access ... so i used the router password.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
4157 posts
1107 upvotes
I never like the readyshare add on software anyway. It stays connected all the time. I like to have the USB drive off when it is not being used. You won't be able to release it before unplugging it or turning off the power when the thing is running in the background. I end up uninstalled it and used the explorer to access it. Just type //readyshare and you are good to go.
FS : Promise NS4300N NAS,Linksys RE400W,E5151,HBB1,VIVOTab RT,MemoPad 8