• Apr 14th, 2020 9:34 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 1, 2006
6782 posts
5857 upvotes
Toronto

A nightmare to get concert tickets thru Ticketmaster?... this is why

If you have even wondered why is it almost impossible to get concert tickets thru Ticketmaster, or why do some concerts just sell out in minutes, then it is probably because Ticketmaster themselves are recruiting professional scalpers and provide them with a specific software to get a hold of as many tickets as they can, just so they can double-dip on the profits by selling the tickets first to the scalpers, and then getting a commission and fees by the resale of them to the true fans.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/compet ... -1.5000677
I swear to drunk I'm not God
55 replies
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 1, 2006
6782 posts
5857 upvotes
Toronto
Kiraly wrote: Old news, that is a two month old article you linked. Buying tickets from scalpers only perpetuates this problem. So long as people keep doing that this will never go away. I have never bought tickets from a scalper.
I know the linked article is 2 months old.... however, I didn't know about it, or that the Competition Bureau said this practice was not illegal. I just wanted to share this with others.... maybe I was not widely commented here in the East, while a lot of people know about this out in the West.

Btw, I never buy from scalpers.... if there are no more tickets available that I am willing to pay for, then I just stand back and don't go to the concert. Never had purchased tickets from scalpers, and hopefully never will...

Honestly, I don't even know who are bigger scumbags: scalpers or Ticketmaster executives?
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4475 posts
3982 upvotes
roblombardi wrote: Honestly, I don't even know who are bigger scumbags: scalpers or Ticketmaster executives?
Aren't they all one and the same given the so obvious collusion that's going on there?

I've all but given up on ever attending concerts and sports events until Ticketmaster is shut down/broken up, which is LONG overdue.
Friendly reminder #1: Kraprig cannot properly brew coffee. Get a Nespresso or a French press. You can thank me later.
Friendly reminder #2: Price matching is NOT the law. Never was, never will be. Nobody can stop you from shopping elsewhere.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2215 posts
845 upvotes
Toronto
WTF? I never heard of this. I guess this must happen for sporting events too.

Doesn't Ticket Master own some other resale ticket site? I swear I heard that people buy tickets from Ticket Master, find out that they can't go to the <whatever it is the tickets are for>, then resell them for whatever price at Ticket Master's resale website? So, Ticket Master gets 2 fees. One for the original sale and one for the resale.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
9266 posts
10803 upvotes
Vancouver
ds2chan wrote: Doesn't Ticket Master own some other resale ticket site? I swear I heard that people buy tickets from Ticket Master, find out that they can't go to the <whatever it is the tickets are for>, then resell them for whatever price at Ticket Master's resale website? So, Ticket Master gets 2 fees. One for the original sale and one for the resale.
TicketsNow, a ticket resale scalper site, is a wholly owned subsidiary of Ticketmaster.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15087 posts
16041 upvotes
Oakville
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: Aren't they all one and the same given the so obvious collusion that's going on there?

I've all but given up on ever attending concerts and sports events until Ticketmaster is shut down/broken up, which is LONG overdue.
Yea, this is super old news. Here's an even older podcast from 2017.
http://freakonomics.com/podcast/live-ev ... t-screwed/

Even before any articles, it was pretty obvious it is all a scam given the impossibility of buying tickets and the crazy prices. All of this is enabled by the sheep that buy tickets at any cost.
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4475 posts
3982 upvotes
engineered wrote: Yea, this is super old news. Here's an even older podcast from 2017.
http://freakonomics.com/podcast/live-ev ... t-screwed/

Even before any articles, it was pretty obvious it is all a scam given the impossibility of buying tickets and the crazy prices. All of this is enabled by the sheep that buy tickets at any cost.
I know. This scam has been going on far too long (worldwide, not just in Canada). It's more amazing the Americans have done nothing.
It's bad enough they're the de-facto monopoly on event ticket sales in North America, but more egregious is how they also own one the largest scalper businesses (so they can "buy up" their own tickets and "flip" them). That's the part that needed to be declared illegal years ago. Imagine if the car manufacturers could do that - popular model of car is always "out of stock" but... over here in our used car lot are some brand new ones at triple the MSRP....
Friendly reminder #1: Kraprig cannot properly brew coffee. Get a Nespresso or a French press. You can thank me later.
Friendly reminder #2: Price matching is NOT the law. Never was, never will be. Nobody can stop you from shopping elsewhere.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5767 posts
2892 upvotes
Mississauga
Concerts today are a complete ripoff. I’ve get better things to spend my money on.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15087 posts
16041 upvotes
Oakville
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: I know. This scam has been going on far too long (worldwide, not just in Canada). It's more amazing the Americans have done nothing.
It's bad enough they're the de-facto monopoly on event ticket sales in North America, but more egregious is how they also own one the largest scalper businesses (so they can "buy up" their own tickets and "flip" them). That's the part that needed to be declared illegal years ago. Imagine if the car manufacturers could do that - popular model of car is always "out of stock" but... over here in our used car lot are some brand new ones at triple the MSRP....
I'm not sure they should do anything about the scam. Nobody NEEDS to see a concert, so let them pay what they want. Just like the diamond scam, nobody NEEDS them. People do NEED cars though.
BTW, dealers so bait and switch. They advertise low cost, stripped out models but they never have stock of them and talk you into higher profit models.

That said, it is sleezy and misleading, so if we want the gov't to protect consumers they should force them to open about how they operate.
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4475 posts
3982 upvotes
engineered wrote: I'm not sure they should do anything about the scam. Nobody NEEDS to see a concert, so let them pay what they want. Just like the diamond scam, nobody NEEDS them. People do NEED cars though.
BTW, dealers so bait and switch. They advertise low cost, stripped out models but they never have stock of them and talk you into higher profit models.
They may not have the "base" model on the lot but they won't refuse you if you insist on ordering it and waiting for it to be shipped in. A sale is a sale.

There was already a lot of grumbling about the Ticketmaster monopoly when they started adding all sorts of unavoidable surcharges. The airlines seem to have followed suit with that (fuel surcharges, and of course all the nickel and diming especially by ULCC's). But owning and operating a parallel "resale" (scalping) site which not so magically gets all the tickets right away to flip at 3-10X face value, THAT needs stopped.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2215 posts
845 upvotes
Toronto
This reminds me of the Simpsons when Homer was camping out to buy football tickets. The guy in front of Homer buys every single ticket. Unfortunately, the only clip I could find cuts out just before the scalper buys all of the tickets.

P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 1, 2006
6782 posts
5857 upvotes
Toronto
engineered wrote: People do NEED cars though.
Not all people need cars, though... and I agree, yo do not need to go and see a concert, but just because it is not a basic need, it makes it okay for the Government to let companies rip people off this blatantly... there should be a law to protect consumers about these sketchy policies and procedures

But what can we expect, if also the 3 big ones rip everybody off all the time, and nobody does anything about it?
Sep 28, 2017
649 posts
420 upvotes
i've found reputable tix sites that are NOT associated with ticketmaster or any of their satellite mini operators. plus when you see that a certain concert or event is for early sale to people with a certain CC or membership you can bypass that as well...

i'm a member of TM to get an inside scoop of when their tickets go on sale or the stipulations, but then i go to the other site to get my tix and have never ONCE had an issue. plus i get them a day earlier than TM and their stipulations. so i don't have to deal with a scalper or their side sites.

for instance... we bought tix to the upcoming phil collins concert in buffalo. i got them 2 days BEFORE TM had them for sale. i then called the venue (key bank arena) and verified the tix were legit and the seats were in our names.

the company we use is called seat geek. they also own lyft, which is an uber type of company. they are actually becoming larger than ticket master and a lot of major sports teams main ticket sales front end. ashton kutcher is also a co-owner not that it matters..

so there are alternatives if you are willing to take the time to look them up and do your research.
no matter where you go, there you are.
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
14279 posts
26725 upvotes
Scarborough
Kiraly wrote: Old news, that is a two month old article you linked. Buying tickets from scalpers only perpetuates this problem. So long as people keep doing that this will never go away. I have never bought tickets from a scalper.
I remember originally reading about this last September: https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/ticket ... -1.4828535

I used to be pretty good at getting tickets myself but since they changed to the new virtual queue system, I haven't been able to get tickets to anything.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].