Deal Link:
Price:
Savings:
20% off
Expiry:
September 30, 2018
Retailer:
Nima
For those with severe food allergies, Nima has their portable gluten and peanut detectors on sale for the first time for $234 USD. Us Canadians will also need to pay about $40 USD shipping via UPS.

To use it, you put a pea-sized portion of the food you want to test into a test capsule and insert it into the device. The device apparently analyzes the food and delivers a result in a minute or so. The device is small enough to be put in your pocket. The test capsules are one-time use only, and they are about $5 USD each. They are on sale too. Sale ends Sep 30th.

Does it work? The gluten sensor apparently does. The peanut sensor just came out last month.

Yes, it's still pretty expensive, but they are really the only kind of device out there. It *may* qualify as a medical device you can get reimbursed by your health insurance, but YMMV. I could see it handy at a social event like a wedding banquet or a lunch interview or traveling in a foreign country where food safety is more lax.

P.S. Unfortunately, the peanut sensor only tests peanuts, not almonds, cashews, etc.
How I try to save money: Zoomer Wireless $36 4GB LTE / Teksavvy rCable $68 150 / Freephoneline $0 / No TV! / Flipp
How I try to make money: Stack Mastercard / Amex Cobalt / GCR / Rakuten / Plastiq / Paymi / Ampli
3 replies
Mar 7, 2011
564 posts
414 upvotes
Brampton
Not meaning to troll but... what if the pea sized portion contained the peanut? So you need like a tweezer first so your not in contact?

Or wht if the peanut is somewhere else in the packaging and the piece you tested was negative?

Or what if the food has a sauce? Your device would be now messy..

Or what if you got a positive for peanut, your device is contaminated now and you need to ask someone to clean it... or you wear gloves..

Really great idea, but i think it should be like a geiger counter type where you can scan all the contents..
Jul 12, 2017
42 posts
21 upvotes
Peanuts don't send off something like radiation... Normally if there's a peanut in the food it'll be throughout the food and not just dropped in...

Not a bad idea, if it works and if you're really worried. I can see this being useful when someone travels, especially to countries with less stringent food safety rules.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2002
1572 posts
380 upvotes
Toronto
kaijujager wrote: Not meaning to troll but... what if the pea sized portion contained the peanut? So you need like a tweezer first so your not in contact?
Tweezer? You can use a spoon or a fork. Besides, usually it's only lethal to eat peanuts or gluten, not just touching them.
kaijujager wrote: Or wht if the peanut is somewhere else in the packaging and the piece you tested was negative?
True. Nima themselves emphasize that the test result should be considered with other factors. They say you should ideally take small pieces for different areas of food. I.e. you would want to test both the frosting and the body of a cake. Still, no guarantee, but usually the mixing and stirring used in food preparation will contaminate most of the food with gluten/peanuts.
kaijujager wrote: Or what if the food has a sauce? Your device would be now messy..

Or what if you got a positive for peanut, your device is contaminated now and you need to ask someone to clean it... or you wear gloves..
I don't think the device touches the food. The food is sealed in the capsule, and the device scans the capsule. The capsule has some sort of reactant that mixes with the food. This is also why you can't reuse the capsule.
kaijujager wrote: Really great idea, but i think it should be like a geiger counter type where you can scan all the contents..
I think there was a Kickstarter for something like this several years ago, but it turned out to be vaporware. Perhaps one day, we'll have Star Trek tricorders to scan our food for allergens, diseases and poisons!
How I try to save money: Zoomer Wireless $36 4GB LTE / Teksavvy rCable $68 150 / Freephoneline $0 / No TV! / Flipp
How I try to make money: Stack Mastercard / Amex Cobalt / GCR / Rakuten / Plastiq / Paymi / Ampli