Expired Hot Deals

Nintendo

Assassin's Creed III: Remastered (Switch) $18.74 on eShop

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 16th, 2020 11:47 pm
18 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 24, 2002
3429 posts
1168 upvotes
BC
One of the worst in the series, skip it. Super boring.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 8, 2007
1942 posts
2251 upvotes
Fun game but almost everything done in this game is done better in black flag. I'd only get this if you are very interested in revolutionary America

This is one of the first games I remember GAMERS being upset about because you play a person of colour through most of it.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 24, 2002
3429 posts
1168 upvotes
BC
nicolascon wrote: This is one of the first games I remember GAMERS being upset about because you play a person of colour through most of it.
No, the issue was that Connor is a boring as **** and one dimensional. Ezio was actually fun to play as. Why would you insert politics in to it?
Sr. Member
Apr 21, 2017
553 posts
676 upvotes
Chelsea
Ren wrote: No, the issue was that Connor is a boring as **** and one dimensional. Ezio was actually fun to play as. Why would you insert politics in to it?
Ezio was MILES ahead in term of character development ..
Member
Jan 10, 2018
369 posts
1112 upvotes
Ren wrote: No, the issue was that Connor is a boring as **** and one dimensional. Ezio was actually fun to play as. Why would you insert politics in to it?
You're right in saying that Connor was boring, but people did get upset over the POC thing. It's actually still happening, with gamers upset that BF:V had female soldiers, and that the lead character in the new AC: Valhalla is also female. It's sad that people insert politics into games, but we can't pretend it doesn't happen.
Member
Feb 28, 2006
499 posts
398 upvotes
nicolascon wrote: This is one of the first games I remember GAMERS being upset about because you play a person of colour through most of it.
That's the first time I've heard that from anyone. The criticisms I've heard is always about poor character development and story. I'm sure just like any sufficiently large group of people, there will always be some small minority that are bigots, but you can't generalize.
Shady67 wrote: You're right in saying that Connor was boring, but people did get upset over the POC thing. It's actually still happening, with gamers upset that BF:V had female soldiers, and that the lead character in the new AC: Valhalla is also female. It's sad that people insert politics into games, but we can't pretend it doesn't happen.
The female soldiers thing I've heard of, but the upset was because it did not fit the setting of World War 2 where female soldiers are very rare. And they overemphasized it in the marketing which made it a thing. Historical accuracy is a valid point of debate.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9374 posts
6750 upvotes
Toronto
underrated game but one of the worst deals I've ever seen for it. It was free on other platforms recently and regularly on sale for $5 or less over the years
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 8, 2007
1942 posts
2251 upvotes
Ren wrote: No, the issue was that Connor is a boring as **** and one dimensional. Ezio was actually fun to play as. Why would you insert politics in to it?
I didn't insert politics into it but people did when they complained about Connor being part native american. Just like how they complain that there is a trans person in the last of us, just like how they complain women can have muscles in video games. Just because you have valid reasons for not liking him doesn't mean there isn't a large group of people up in arms over protagonists not being straight white males.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2014
2394 posts
1672 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Shady67 wrote: You're right in saying that Connor was boring, but people did get upset over the POC thing. It's actually still happening, with gamers upset that BF:V had female soldiers, and that the lead character in the new AC: Valhalla is also female. It's sad that people insert politics into games, but we can't pretend it doesn't happen.
In AC Valhalla, you have a choice of a male or female character, they are both named Eivor.

In Odyssey you have a choice too.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 8, 2007
1942 posts
2251 upvotes
quantized light wrote: That's the first time I've heard that from anyone. The criticisms I've heard is always about poor character development and story. I'm sure just like any sufficiently large group of people, there will always be some small minority that are bigots, but you can't generalize.



The female soldiers thing I've heard of, but the upset was because it did not fit the setting of World War 2 where female soldiers are very rare. And they overemphasized it in the marketing which made it a thing. Historical accuracy is a valid point of debate.
Ah yes, historical accuracy like respawning and editing your class through a menu. Why do people get so upset that they added another gender to a video game?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 8, 2007
1942 posts
2251 upvotes
Niklasky wrote: In AC Valhalla, you have a choice of a male or female character, they are both named Eivor.

In Odyssey you have a choice too.
Yep. I liked it in Odyssey too. It didn't change the game at all. I personally liked the female voice actor better.
Member
Feb 28, 2006
499 posts
398 upvotes
nicolascon wrote: Ah yes, historical accuracy like respawning and editing your class through a menu. Why do people get so upset that they added another gender to a video game?
I personally didn't really care, nor do I play Battlefield. But I can understand their point. The game is being presented as one based on a history setting, and a lot of people do care about historical accuracy if that's the case. Lots of games before and after lets you choose your gender and no one complained, so you've got to think about and listen to why there is negative feedback in this case. From what I recall, the complaints wasn't just about gender, it was unrealistic prosthetic and tattoos for the time as well. Your example is not a fair comparison, because those are the basics of games in general.

And I don't get why you brought this up in the first place. Unless you're disagreeing with the criticisms that the story and characters are poor in AC3, why even bring it up?
Sr. Member
User avatar
Nov 1, 2009
645 posts
426 upvotes
Terrebonne
nicolascon wrote: This is one of the first games I remember GAMERS being upset about because you play a person of colour through most of it.
There are over 3000 gamers reviews on Metacritics and I haven't seen many people complaining because the protagonist is a person of colour.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 8, 2007
1942 posts
2251 upvotes
quantized light wrote: I personally didn't really care, nor do I play Battlefield. But I can understand their point. The game is being presented as one based on a history setting, and a lot of people do care about historical accuracy if that's the case. Lots of games before and after lets you choose your gender and no one complained, so you've got to think about and listen to why there is negative feedback in this case. From what I recall, the complaints wasn't just about gender, it was unrealistic prosthetic and tattoos for the time as well. Your example is not a fair comparison, because those are the basics of games in general.

And I don't get why you brought this up in the first place. Unless you're disagreeing with the criticisms that the story and characters are poor in AC3, why even bring it up?
People scream about realism and then accept thing that are very unrealistic. Look at how much outrage over the last of 2 there is.

I brought up that this game was one of the first I could remember where people were outraged they made the playable character a person of colour. I think this is somewhat relevant but it is ok if you disagree. At the time there were a lot of people dismissing the game solely because of the main character not being fully white.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 13, 2013
1472 posts
1201 upvotes
nicolascon wrote: People scream about realism and then accept thing that are very unrealistic. Look at how much outrage over the last of 2 there is.

I brought up that this game was one of the first I could remember where people were outraged they made the playable character a person of colour. I think this is somewhat relevant but it is ok if you disagree. At the time there were a lot of people dismissing the game solely because of the main character not being fully white.
I’m seconding what some of the other commenters said, I was heavily involved on sites like Kotaku back in the day and don’t recall that kind of criticism regarding Connor being Native American. I’m sure it existed somewhere on the internet, but I don’t recall it being anywhere near prevalent or notable as recent stuff like the Last of Us 2. I mean the very first Asssassins Creed game set the tone with the main protagonist being half Syrian-Muslim and named Altaïr Ibn-LaʼAhad. I don’t remember gamers making an issue of that either. The criticisms I’ve always seen were that Connor was annoying and lacked the coolness of Ezio.

I’ve always liked AC3 but it does have a very drawn out, linear beginning. Once it gets going I love the setting but it takes awhile. If you’re more familiar with the recent entries Origins and Odyssey, the gameplay is the original style of games which is less RPG like.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 26, 2014
7374 posts
8062 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
ReeGee wrote: underrated game but one of the worst deals I've ever seen for it. It was free on other platforms recently and regularly on sale for $5 or less over the years
If you're referencing "over the years" you're obviously thinking of the original game/release for the PS3/360, but even then that game never dropped below $7.99 on the PS3 (for example). The original game was included in Games With Gold as a backwards-compatible title all the way back in June 2017, but that's it.

The Remaster has only been out for just over a year and $19.99 is the lowest it has gone on the PS4/Xbone. $18.74 is the new all-time low so far.

And don't forget this includes both Assassin's Creed III and Liberation.
Newbie
Jun 8, 2020
4 posts
1 upvote
chemicalxv wrote: If you're referencing "over the years" you're obviously thinking of the original game/release for the PS3/360, but even then that game never dropped below $7.99 on the PS3 (for example). The original game was included in Games With Gold as a backwards-compatible title all the way back in June 2017, but that's it.

The Remaster has only been out for just over a year and $19.99 is the lowest it has gone on the PS4/Xbone. $18.74 is the new all-time low so far.

And don't forget this includes both Assassin's Creed III and Liberation.
His right about the remaster being free. It was free on uplay awhile back i dont remember when or you might be correct on that the remastered came when i bought the gold version of odyssey. Anyways in terms of lowest price i think this might be it.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 26, 2014
7374 posts
8062 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
ciscog wrote: His right about the remaster being free. It was free on uplay awhile back i dont remember when or you might be correct on that the remastered came when i bought the gold version of odyssey. Anyways in terms of lowest price i think this might be it.
It was included in the Season Pass for Odyssey. That doesn't necessarily make it "free", as there is still a required purchase for another product to ge tit.

The original version was given away for free on Uplay back at the end of 2016. The Remastered version needed to be purchased separately, however, even on PC. There has been no point yet where it was given away for free with no strings attached.

Top