Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Nintendo

Hollow Knight - $8.49 (all time low)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 5th, 2022 3:06 pm
Feb 15, 2022
3 posts
Great game. Would get it if I didn't already have it on Steam.
May 4, 2021
27 posts
21 upvotes
Looks like it's already gone, shows 50% off then loads a bit and shows 16.99.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2010
2828 posts
1032 upvotes
Vaughan
Will add to the unpopular opinion: Got this free with PSN. Played the game (about halfway) b/c so many people liked it so much. Got really frustrated at how difficult certain parts were. Tried. Retried. Kept failing to proceed. Stopped playing. The game needs to add levels of difficulty. Overall the game was more frustrating than fun. Glad I didn't pay anything for it.
Public Mobile $34/50GB-CAN-US/30 days
Oct 4, 2006
377 posts
143 upvotes
Coming from someone that hasn’t played a single metros or castlevania - Unbelievable experience - Completed the campaign in roughly 60 extremely enjoyable hours and took another 80 hours to finally beat the final pantheon to get the absolute max completion %. Buy it folks!
Jan 1, 2021
320 posts
522 upvotes
pca_pca_pca wrote: Unpopular opinion: this game is overrated.

Don't get me wrong though. It's a great game and for this price it's a no-brainer, but people praise it like it's the best metroidvania out there, I don't get it.
Which metroidvania would you suggest as an alternative?

The Ori series is really good but over double the price. For that reason, I still think Hollow Knight is one of the best value games in the last 5 years. Like your said, it's a no brainer at this price.
Nov 7, 2009
187 posts
107 upvotes
Regina
I have it on PC and have played through a couple of times and would buy it again for this price.

I'm logged in, and the price briefly shows $8.49, but then it switches back to full price. Is it over, or do you need to have an active Nintendo Online account?
Dec 23, 2010
480 posts
917 upvotes
Toronto
My favourite game of the past few years. Definitely recommended!
Mar 4, 2014
534 posts
872 upvotes
Flawless Cowboy wrote: I have it on PC and have played through a couple of times and would buy it again for this price.

I'm logged in, and the price briefly shows $8.49, but then it switches back to full price. Is it over, or do you need to have an active Nintendo Online account?
I have an active online account and I see the same thing. Goes to $16.99
Jun 20, 2007
245 posts
341 upvotes
Toronto
slimjim91 wrote: I have an active online account and I see the same thing. Goes to $16.99
Same here...briefly shows as $8.49 before the page finishes loading and it changes to $16.99.

EDIT: Just realized that this thread was from Feb 24 and lists an sale end date of March 3. So the sale is over and this must be just some weird remnant pricing show up...going to have wait until it goes on sale again.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2009
1393 posts
416 upvotes
Heads up about this game for any other middle-aged life-busy people:

To enjoy (or even play much of) this game you have to 'git gud'. You need to be able to quickly memorize and remember a lot of enemy movesets and patterns. You can't really go off and level up, you can't effectively grind for better stuff... you just need to have a certain amount of good reflexes and the ability to do enemy move memorization often (and retain it). It's not just bosses, levels have several random "super bad guys" that will demolish you without you getting their health down more than a tiny amount.

Because of this, as a middle-aged (mid-forties) dad with a busy and mentally taxing job and kids to juggle, this game became unplayable for me about 10 hours in. I don't have the best reflexes or move memory. My timing in games is mediocre. This is why I can't even attempt Dark Souls games and even something like Bloodborne would take so much time and effort for me to play that it simply can't be worth it.

What bugs me is that I LOVE metroidvania games. I replay Super Metroid and Castlevania:SOTN to 100% each every couple years. Literally the 2 games the genre is primarily named for. So EVERYONE told me I had to buy Hollow Knight. But all I got from Hollow Knight was about 10 hours of frustration and a wasted $20.

Of course, you can always go online and ask for advice and help and get told you're trash and shouldn't play games and should go ______ yourself... its a great community.

Again, just a heads up that in my opinion this is NOT a game for everyone. If you are good or can git gud, great. If you get maybe 10 hours a week to game... and if middle-age and life have slowed you down to where your gaming reflexes are slow... and if 99% of your mental energy goes to work and family... then this is likely not a game you'll be able to get far in, let alone enjoy. And being a metroidvania fan will not help you here, no matter how much you've beaten the games the genre was named for.
Mar 4, 2014
534 posts
872 upvotes
jetfire33 wrote: Heads up about this game for any other middle-aged life-busy people:

To enjoy (or even play much of) this game you have to 'git gud'. You need to be able to quickly memorize and remember a lot of enemy movesets and patterns. You can't really go off and level up, you can't effectively grind for better stuff... you just need to have a certain amount of good reflexes and the ability to do enemy move memorization often (and retain it). It's not just bosses, levels have several random "super bad guys" that will demolish you without you getting their health down more than a tiny amount.

Because of this, as a middle-aged (mid-forties) dad with a busy and mentally taxing job and kids to juggle, this game became unplayable for me about 10 hours in. I don't have the best reflexes or move memory. My timing in games is mediocre. This is why I can't even attempt Dark Souls games and even something like Bloodborne would take so much time and effort for me to play that it simply can't be worth it.

What bugs me is that I LOVE metroidvania games. I replay Super Metroid and Castlevania:SOTN to 100% each every couple years. Literally the 2 games the genre is primarily named for. So EVERYONE told me I had to buy Hollow Knight. But all I got from Hollow Knight was about 10 hours of frustration and a wasted $20.

Of course, you can always go online and ask for advice and help and get told you're trash and shouldn't play games and should go ______ yourself... its a great community.

Again, just a heads up that in my opinion this is NOT a game for everyone. If you are good or can git gud, great. If you get maybe 10 hours a week to game... and if middle-age and life have slowed you down to where your gaming reflexes are slow... and if 99% of your mental energy goes to work and family... then this is likely not a game you'll be able to get far in, let alone enjoy. And being a metroidvania fan will not help you here, no matter how much you've beaten the games the genre was named for.
Ah.. boo. This is me. There were times I even found BOTW really hard because I had so many long gaps between plays and forgot the controls.
Jan 25, 2021
438 posts
470 upvotes
jetfire33 wrote: Heads up about this game for any other middle-aged life-busy people:

I completely agree with you about the difficulty level of the game. That being said, to add my perspective, I used to game quite a bit, got busy with work and haven't really found a good game to play. I thought I was pretty much grown out of the phase where I really got into video games. Bought fire emblem and botw on switch and didn't get more than 5 hrs in. My xbox and switch barely got any playtime last couple years. However, this game finally hooked me back in. It's the first time I ever even played the switch on mobile mode because of how much I wanted to play.

I'm about 25 hours in and yes the difficulty is pretty intense and it's supposed to get even harder lategame. The satisfaction you get after finally getting past a difficult platforming section/boss after dying many many times is something that just hooks you in more and more.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)