• Last Updated:
  • Aug 2nd, 2019 11:00 pm
[OP]
Aug 27, 2012
320 posts
1077 upvotes
Vancouver

[Nintendo] Mario Tennis Aces Free Trial for Nintendo Online subscribers

I saw this tweet from Nintendo of America, that they will be offering Mario Tennis Aces for free for a week from August 7 to 13th for Nintendo Switch Online subscribers so check for the game offer on Aug 7 (not live yet)

If you enjoy the title you can purchase the game at 30% off from Aug 7 to 20th.
19 replies
Jul 23, 2011
897 posts
699 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Not sure a limited time trial really qualifies as a 'hot deal.' Though I guess how uncommon this kind of thing is on Nintendo platforms, you might see it that way.
[OP]
Aug 27, 2012
320 posts
1077 upvotes
Vancouver
TorontoGamerMan wrote: Not sure a limited time trial really qualifies as a 'hot deal.' Though I guess how uncommon this kind of thing is on Nintendo platforms, you might see it that way.
It'll be 30% off during that time if you choose to buy it. Tho if you just want to try it for the story mode you could easily beat it in that time :-)
Deal Addict
Jul 17, 2011
4980 posts
2363 upvotes
yeah can easily beat story mode in even a day or two. but the main attraction of this game is multiplayer anyway.

good way to get people on the train.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
4243 posts
4417 upvotes
GTA
I mean, its not a hot deal but free for 2 weeks is okay, and the discount might be worth it if the game is decent. I'll check it out when its available, thanks OP
c'mon get happy!
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2009
1882 posts
1027 upvotes
OP it's safe to assume that 30% discount applies to digital copy only?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2002
9625 posts
6344 upvotes
Toronto
jay-em wrote: OP it's safe to assume that 30% discount applies to digital copy only?
Yes, full tweet says eShop.
Jul 5, 2017
517 posts
901 upvotes
Toronto
Have the game.. it's alright. Mario Tennis for n64 much better IMO

They added to many powerups to kill the rallies
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2012
3580 posts
3153 upvotes
Toronto
30% off 80 = $56 but historical low on this game is 49.99 during black friday and that is a physical copy! plus on the reused market, you can get it easily for $40
Jul 23, 2011
897 posts
699 upvotes
NORTH YORK
tonylaranjo wrote: It'll be 30% off during that time if you choose to buy it. Tho if you just want to try it for the story mode you could easily beat it in that time :-)
Yeah I guess that's fair.

I'm so on the fence as to whether or not to buy a Switch. I really like the games Nintendo makes, and quite like the look of the new Switch Lite. But then I consider the prices of the games, and the way they never really fall, and almost all that interest falls away. It's unfortunately a really bad platform for budget/patient gamers.

Can you at least buy old DS/3DS games, like you could on the Wii U? Is that even a thing yet?
Oct 27, 2018
86 posts
86 upvotes
TorontoGamerMan wrote: Can you at least buy old DS/3DS games, like you could on the Wii U? Is that even a thing yet?
As in buy DS or 3DS games to play on the Switch? Unfortunately, no. The closest you get to any kind of Virtual Console on the Switch right now is some NES games, if you have a Nintendo Online Subscription.
Oct 21, 2013
258 posts
105 upvotes
Toronto, ON
dracolnyte wrote: 30% off 80 = $56 but historical low on this game is 49.99 during black friday and that is a physical copy! plus on the reused market, you can get it easily for $40
Where can you get it easily for $40?
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2012
3580 posts
3153 upvotes
Toronto
paperplanez wrote: Where can you get it easily for $40?
kijiji/craiglist? just offer $40, its not that great of a game. i played it once then sold it
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2014
1208 posts
1751 upvotes
GPS - error
Marluxia wrote: As in buy DS or 3DS games to play on the Switch? Unfortunately, no. The closest you get to any kind of Virtual Console on the Switch right now is some NES games, if you have a Nintendo Online Subscription.
You can of course also mod a 2ds/3ds to get all that stuff free, as well as have any emulator, incl. N64 ...
Jul 23, 2011
897 posts
699 upvotes
NORTH YORK
escape1975 wrote: You can of course also mod a 2ds/3ds to get all that stuff free, as well as have any emulator, incl. N64 ...
Yeah I've considered doing that. I have a modded Wii U and that's certainly helped keep the pressure off to buy a switch.

Truthfully though, if they'd make the games 10 bucks or so, I'd happily buy them on a Switch Lite. I'm not a huge fan of modding if a reasonable legal bargain is to be had as an alternative.
[OP]
Aug 27, 2012
320 posts
1077 upvotes
Vancouver
dracolnyte wrote: kijiji/craiglist? just offer $40, its not that great of a game. i played it once then sold it
I dunno how great a deal it would be for you to spend $40 on a used game to try it once and then decide it wasn't for you... a free trial would have saved you the trouble of having to buy and resell it...
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2013
2174 posts
1299 upvotes
Sarnia
Will Nintendo ever care to work on the AI for these games and make them harder? Also not hard to have different difficulty levels.
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2014
1208 posts
1751 upvotes
GPS - error
TorontoGamerMan wrote: Yeah I've considered doing that. I have a modded Wii U and that's certainly helped keep the pressure off to buy a switch.

Truthfully though, if they'd make the games 10 bucks or so, I'd happily buy them on a Switch Lite. I'm not a huge fan of modding if a reasonable legal bargain is to be had as an alternative.
But we all know the games are going to be the same price as a Switch since it's the same games, so around $60.
I mean even the 3DS games are $30 or more.
Jul 23, 2011
897 posts
699 upvotes
NORTH YORK
escape1975 wrote: But we all know the games are going to be the same price as a Switch since it's the same games, so around $60.
I mean even the 3DS games are $30 or more.
Well if they're just digital roms like on the VC, that doesn't have to be the case. From what I remember, the DS games on Wii U were pretty reasonably priced. Those are old games, but things like Zelda Spirit Tracks and Dragon Quest IX I would happily pay 10 bucks for. Perfect games for a portable system, even after all these years (and given the Nintendo exclusivity, they're also games I never really got a chance to play).

Then again, we live a world where Link's Awakening is about to be sold for 80 bucks. I'm not about to get my hopes up.
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2014
1208 posts
1751 upvotes
GPS - error
TorontoGamerMan wrote: Well if they're just digital roms like on the VC, that doesn't have to be the case. From what I remember, the DS games on Wii U were pretty reasonably priced. Those are old games, but things like Zelda Spirit Tracks and Dragon Quest IX I would happily pay 10 bucks for. Perfect games for a portable system, even after all these years (and given the Nintendo exclusivity, they're also games I never really got a chance to play).

Then again, we live a world where Link's Awakening is about to be sold for 80 bucks. I'm not about to get my hopes up.
Well I don’t think it will happen, VC is usually older games that are cheap,
and Switch Pro / Switch Lite will both play current titles on game carts,
they will be the exact same cart so the price will not change.

Of course just like you can right now, there will be cheaper downloadable games
that you can get for both systems, but the Switch library is compatible with both, mostly.