Hot Deals

[Nintendo] Nintendo 3ds refurbished back in stock on Nintendo website

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 10th, 2020 8:16 pm
Sr. Member
Dec 25, 2009
793 posts
177 upvotes
Are you guys having trouble checking out? I keep getting error when i put in my CC.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Oct 11, 2004
659 posts
100 upvotes
Montreal, Qc
Can someone tell me what is the benefit of having a console such as this vs. an android tablet?
My kids have the Amazon fire tablets already.

At $162 for a 10 year old console, it is more expensive than the latest gen amazon tablets.

What am I missing here?
Note: I've never had a console besides a 999-in-1 tetris game.
Member
Nov 8, 2008
427 posts
478 upvotes
temporary user wrote: Can someone tell me what is the benefit of having a console such as this vs. an android tablet?
My kids have the Amazon fire tablets already.

At $162 for a 10 year old console, it is more expensive than the latest gen amazon tablets.

What am I missing here?
Note: I've never had a console besides a 999-in-1 tetris game.
Generally speaking (there are obviously exceptions), games for the 3DS (and many other consoles) have story arcs, character development, and more complicated mechanics that take players 30-60 hours or more to progress through. Mobile/Android/iOS games tend to be more casual games where it takes you minutes to nail the game mechanic and there's not much depth beyond that - either that or they're pay-to-win/freemium.

Before someone jumps in here with examples, this is a generalization and there are gems on mobile platforms and duds on console platforms. But overall, they're 2 different types of games...
Sr. Member
User avatar
Oct 11, 2004
659 posts
100 upvotes
Montreal, Qc
carsncars wrote: Generally speaking (there are obviously exceptions), games for the 3DS (and many other consoles) have story arcs, character development, and more complicated mechanics that take players 30-60 hours or more to progress through. Mobile/Android/iOS games tend to be more casual games where it takes you minutes to nail the game mechanic and there's not much depth beyond that - either that or they're pay-to-win/freemium.

Before someone jumps in here with examples, this is a generalization and there are gems on mobile platforms and duds on console platforms. But overall, they're 2 different types of games...
Thanks for the info. So I guess 5 year olds are not the targeted audience as reading skills + English will be required.
Member
Nov 8, 2008
427 posts
478 upvotes
temporary user wrote: Thanks for the info. So I guess 5 year olds are not the targeted audience as reading skills + English will be required.
Probably a little young, but I've seen kids that age get into it especially when led by an older sibling. I think 7-12+ is more where it's at. (Or 30, like me!)
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2014
2170 posts
2250 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
To all those needing chargers or want an extra charger.

Bestbuy has the buy any 3ds game (including digital) and you get one of these 4 items free. The charger can be used as the dock, or you can just use the plug as it separates.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/collection ... ale/256127

List of 3ds games

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/category/n ... eLowToHigh
Newbie
Jul 6, 2020
3 posts
3 upvotes
Received mine yesterday. In pristine condition; looks like a new device!
Newbie
User avatar
Apr 10, 2020
3 posts
Toronto
^same as the poster above. got mine two days ago and it's in mint condition
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2011
1229 posts
1179 upvotes
VANCOUVER
temporary user wrote: Thanks for the info. So I guess 5 year olds are not the targeted audience as reading skills + English will be required.
Not necessarily. Games like Miitopia, Tomodachi Life, and even Animal Crossing are really fun for that age group:

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/miitopia-3ds/
https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/t ... -life-3ds/
https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/a ... -leaf-3ds/

As carsncars mentioned, 3DS games have a lot more depth and gameplay mechanics compared with mobile games. I would say mobile games are 99% garbage with very heavy in app purchase or ads. The gameplay mechanics are usually very basic and most games tend to be just time killers. They remind me of those casino slot machines where you just blindly tap on the screen. The game mechanics are usually designed to get you hooked and purchase coins/gems/etc or watch lots of ads.

Very few games are actually worth playing with the exception of some of the higher priced premium games like Terraria, Stardew Valley, etc.
Sr. Member
Aug 31, 2008
680 posts
301 upvotes
Mine arrived today, and like everything I've read on their refurbished products, it's looks to be in flawless condition. Also, FYI, it comes with a charger (thank God!) so it saves you a few bucks.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 11, 2001
8444 posts
723 upvotes
This was yrs ago, but I got a couple 3ds XL from them and yes they looked pretty much brand new... zero scratches/scuffs.
superrabbi wrote: Mine arrived today, and like everything I've read on their refurbished products, it's looks to be in flawless condition. Also, FYI, it comes with a charger (thank God!) so it saves you a few bucks.
...zzz...zzz...zzz...

www.heatware.com
Jr. Member
Aug 16, 2018
137 posts
52 upvotes
superrabbi wrote: Mine arrived today, and like everything I've read on their refurbished products, it's looks to be in flawless condition. Also, FYI, it comes with a charger (thank God!) so it saves you a few bucks.
Is this the new 3ds xl that got you a charger? In the description, it says it doesn't come with one and that was what stopped me from getting it.
Newbie
Jul 6, 2020
3 posts
3 upvotes
SuperSlowNinja wrote: Is this the new 3ds xl that got you a charger? In the description, it says it doesn't come with one and that was what stopped me from getting it.
Got the 3DS XL and mine came without a charger, as expected.
Jr. Member
Jun 2, 2012
114 posts
97 upvotes
Ottawa
junglemage666 wrote: To all those needing chargers or want an extra charger.

Bestbuy has the buy any 3ds game (including digital) and you get one of these 4 items free. The charger can be used as the dock, or you can just use the plug as it separates.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/collection ... ale/256127

List of 3ds games

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/category/n ... eLowToHigh
That’s a great deal. Highly recommend Wario Land 3 ($5) and Pokemon Yellow ($14) as digital titles.

Top