Nintendo is releasing a 35th anniversary Super Mario Bros. Game and Watch

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 13th, 2020 11:49 am
[OP]
Nov 13, 2007
82 posts
46 upvotes

Nintendo is releasing a 35th anniversary Super Mario Bros. Game and Watch

I remember these back in the day, probably play it for a day and then never again.

Again, these will be released in Nov for the Xmas rush...and so probably go for a horrific amount of the orginal $49.99 USD when people trying to flip these.

From the Website.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/9/3/21418 ... h-handheld

"Nintendo is going back to the beginning with a modern version of its original Game & Watch handheld that’s been revamped with a full-color LCD. It can play Super Mario Bros. in honor of the franchise’s 35th anniversary. The new handled was announced during a surprise Nintendo Direct showcase. In addition to Super Mario Bros., the handheld can also play Super Mario Bros: The Lost Levels (released in Japan as Super Mario Bros. 2) and an updated version of Game & Watch: Ball that stars Mario (instead of Mr. Game & Watch).

The design is based on the original +Control Pad from 1980, and like the original Game & Watch device, it also functions as a digital clock, which includes 35 “little touches” and Easter eggs to celebrate the milestone anniversary.

The Game & Watch: Super Mario Bros. handheld will be released on November 13th in “limited production” for $49.99.
mario.PNG
16 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2015
2179 posts
884 upvotes
Montreal, QC
That's the one I want. Hoping preorder will open soon
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2006
4615 posts
1705 upvotes
Ajax
Zero need for this. Again Nintendo continues to recycle. Guess they are having problems coming up with new IP.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8568 posts
2960 upvotes
Nintendo has come up with key new IP in the last 5 years:

Ring Fit Adventure (awesome game)
Splatoon (massive seller)
ARMS
Nintendo LABO (cardboard VR)
SnipperClips
1-2 Switch
Sushi Striker
mrtvgame wrote: Zero need for this. Again Nintendo continues to recycle. Guess they are having problems coming up with new IP.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2328 posts
357 upvotes
XFactor11 wrote: Nintendo has come up with key new IP in the last 5 years:

Ring Fit Adventure (awesome game)
Splatoon (massive seller)
ARMS
Nintendo LABO (cardboard VR)
SnipperClips
1-2 Switch
Sushi Striker
There's also new IP's they've published since 2015:
Astral Chain
Good Job!
BoxBoy!
Code Name: S.T.E.A.M
Ever Oasis

The only people that think all Nintendo does is rehash existing properties are people that never pay any attention to Nintendo.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2006
4615 posts
1705 upvotes
Ajax
Ascott wrote: There's also new IP's they've published since 2015:
Astral Chain
Good Job!
BoxBoy!
Code Name: S.T.E.A.M
Ever Oasis

The only people that think all Nintendo does is rehash existing properties are people that never pay any attention to Nintendo.
Yes Nintendo was lost on me many, many years ago. Most of the IP mentioned here was complete tripe. But hey, you can look forward to the remakes I played 30 years ago. Congrats!
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2328 posts
357 upvotes
Keep moving the goalpost if it makes you feel better. First it's Nintendo does nothing but recycle, now it's Nintendo does make new stuff, but you don't like it.

And of the new IP's listed there (not counting LABO since it's not really a game), 8/10 have above a 75% aggregate score. 4/10 are above an 80%.
Aug 20, 2009
7894 posts
2744 upvotes
Grimsby
Ascott wrote: Keep moving the goalpost if it makes you feel better. First it's Nintendo does nothing but recycle, now it's Nintendo does make new stuff, but you don't like it.

And of the new IP's listed there (not counting LABO since it's not really a game), 8/10 have above a 75% aggregate score. 4/10 are above an 80%.
Agreed, Nintendo does a great job of reinventing its own IP periodically and taking chances on new ones. They also aren't afraid to take shots in the dark with hardware and other oddball ideas (Labo, Mario Kart Live Circuit, etc). They get stuck in a rut sometimes (ahem Mario Party) but overall have consistently made (and yes remade) some of the best games of all time.

It's fine to say someone doesn't like Nintendo but to act like they never take chances on new IP or do anything worthwhile within their existing catalogue is simply incorrect.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2012
1767 posts
2618 upvotes
mrtvgame wrote: Zero need for this. Again Nintendo continues to recycle. Guess they are having problems coming up with new IP.
OMG, Nintendo announces something I don't like on a 35th anniversary. They're pathetic and just out of ideas.

You're clearly just hating for the sake of hating. So they announced something you're not interested in. So what. It's not like it's their only product. People have different tastes and interests.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2006
4615 posts
1705 upvotes
Ajax
Caerus wrote: OMG, Nintendo announces something I don't like on a 35th anniversary. They're pathetic and just out of ideas.

You're clearly just hating for the sake of hating. So they announced something you're not interested in. So what. It's not like it's their only product. People have different tastes and interests.
Yep, pretty much nailed it. When they are ready to show something new instead of the remakes let me know. Yawn.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2006
4615 posts
1705 upvotes
Ajax
You should reread what was posted. Winking Face
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2013
2032 posts
273 upvotes
I'm more focused on getting a physical copy of Super Mario 3D All Stars right now.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1899 posts
574 upvotes
Toronto
Physical copy of Super Mario 3D All Stars is still available to pre-order at Best Buy, Amazon and others. I feel this will be well stocked over the holiday season.

Game & Watch hardware will likely be limited quantities. Scarcity is part of the reason the NES and SNES Classic became hot items in holiday 2016/2017.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2013
2032 posts
273 upvotes
heywhatsmyname wrote: Physical copy of Super Mario 3D All Stars is still available to pre-order at Best Buy, Amazon and others. I feel this will be well stocked over the holiday season.

Game & Watch hardware will likely be limited quantities. Scarcity is part of the reason the NES and SNES Classic became hot items in holiday 2016/2017.
Actually, 3D All Stars is also going to be limited. They're selling these until end of March 2021.