Tags:
None
33 replies
Banned
Dec 17, 2012
2084 posts
276 upvotes
TORONTO
I stopped paying attention about this game at no voice chat because "gamers are mean" so silly.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
6217 posts
2152 upvotes
calgary
I played the beta for this over the weekend and unfortunately I left extremely disappointed as it wasn't very good. They force you to use the gyroscope to control your character instead of joysticks like every other game imaginable. The roller class was way OP too as everyone was just running around rolling over people. On top of that the game will be largely shipped incomplete as they are only shipping the game with one multiplayer mode and adding the rest later. That combined with Nintendo's unwillingness to allow simple things like voice chat and playing with your friends put this firmly in the skip category.

Too bad it was a neat concept and I love the art style.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 12, 2006
6823 posts
3138 upvotes
Canada
This is one of those games that will look novel or amusing for 10 minutes, then people will go back to COD or BF.
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2004
2842 posts
483 upvotes
SpicYMchaggis wrote: I played the beta for this over the weekend and unfortunately I left extremely disappointed as it wasn't very good. They force you to use the gyroscope to control your character instead of joysticks like every other game imaginable. The roller class was way OP too as everyone was just running around rolling over people. On top of that the game will be largely shipped incomplete as they are only shipping the game with one multiplayer mode and adding the rest later. That combined with Nintendo's unwillingness to allow simple things like voice chat and playing with your friends put this firmly in the skip category.

That's the only thing that I didn't like, the motion control. I wasn't able to play the demo but if you're not able to change the control then it's a pass for me at $70
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
2199 posts
938 upvotes
Toronto
Seems like another case of "too little, too late" from the big N.
Feb 27, 2010
730 posts
269 upvotes
Aurora, ON
SpicYMchaggis wrote: I played the beta for this over the weekend and unfortunately I left extremely disappointed as it wasn't very good. They force you to use the gyroscope to control your character instead of joysticks like every other game imaginable. The roller class was way OP too as everyone was just running around rolling over people. On top of that the game will be largely shipped incomplete as they are only shipping the game with one multiplayer mode and adding the rest later. That combined with Nintendo's unwillingness to allow simple things like voice chat and playing with your friends put this firmly in the skip category.

I enjoyed the testfire for the short time I was able to play. You were able to turn off the gyroscope in the options so that you use the right stick to aim. Rollers aren't hard to deal with as long as you kite and back pedal.

It was fun but due to the limited modes and the weapons available I can see people dropping it because of the lack of variety at the moment.
Temp. Banned
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
993 upvotes
Vaughan
From every review I've read, lots of people love this.

I'm pumped for it, missed the beta this weekend, but I have my preorder still from last E3. I'll wait to see more before I decide to open it.

Always have faith in Nintendo to deliver a quality product.
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2005
2006 posts
143 upvotes
Toronto

Aero wrote: That's the only thing that I didn't like, the motion control. I wasn't able to play the demo but if you're not able to change the control then it's a pass for me at $70
You know you could have changed the motion controls in the testfire. I did it. You just had to look through the options but not while a game was on (the character select screen). It was the first thing I did for my kids as they didn't like the motion. I'll be getting this game for them as they enjoyed it.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
6217 posts
2152 upvotes
calgary
Toronto wrote: You know you could have changed the motion controls in the testfire. I did it. You just had to look through the options but not while a game was on (the character select screen). It was the first thing I did for my kids as they didn't like the motion. I'll be getting this game for them as they enjoyed it.
I had no idea, I even looked through the options... oh well, it probably would have changed my opinion a bit. I'm not sure why Nintendo went that route as everyone I spoke too pretty much felt the same way (cool game but these motion controls are stupid).
Deal Fanatic
Aug 12, 2006
6823 posts
3138 upvotes
Canada
squadz wrote: From every review I've read, lots of people love this.

I'm pumped for it, missed the beta this weekend, but I have my preorder still from last E3. I'll wait to see more before I decide to open it.

Always have faith in Nintendo to deliver a quality product.
Smash Brothers is a quality product, but I would still sooner play the original SF2.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9441 posts
6896 upvotes
Toronto
So this game is getting really good reviews but it's apparently a bit short on content and I don't know who in their right mind will pay $70+ tax for this game a week after Witcher 3 launches at the same price on consoles and $30-40 on PC. Nintendo marketing team at it again smh. How in the world can this game succeed?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
6217 posts
2152 upvotes
calgary
ReeGee wrote: So this game is getting really good reviews but it's apparently a bit short on content and I don't know who in their right mind will pay $70+ tax for this game a week after Witcher 3 launches at the same price on consoles and $30-40 on PC. Nintendo marketing team at it again smh. How in the world can this game succeed?
Compared to the witcher most games cannot compare in terms of $/hour. But that is an entirely different experience.

To me the best comparison point to this game would be PvZ:GW and even then that game offers much more in terms of game modes. That game was 40$ and to me that was a fair price. It was later given away for free on Playstation as well as part of EA Access.

It looks great but I can't justify spending 70$ on a new unproven IP with one game mode at launch though, but I'll wait to see how it plays out over the next few months. Hopefully it will drop in price but since it's a Nintendo title I have my reservations, they'd rather take their titles off the market then give them a price drop.

It brings some good and bad qualities but Nintendo is still living in the past.

Also you realize the Witcher before any discounts is the exact same price on consoles and PC?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9441 posts
6896 upvotes
Toronto
SpicYMchaggis wrote: Compared to the witcher most games cannot compare in terms of $/hour. But that is an entirely different experience.

To me the best comparison point to this game would be PvZ:GW and even then that game offers much more in terms of game modes. That game was 40$ and to me that was a fair price. It was later given away for free on Playstation as well as part of EA Access.

It looks great but I can't justify spending 70$ on a new unproven IP with one game mode at launch though, but I'll wait to see how it plays out over the next few months. Hopefully it will drop in price but since it's a Nintendo title I have my reservations, they'd rather take their titles off the market then give them a price drop.

It brings some good and bad qualities but Nintendo is still living in the past.

Also you realize the Witcher before any discounts is the exact same price on consoles and PC?
ya I realize that and I'm not really nagging the price as much as the all around clueless marketing strategy Nintendo has behind this game. This is just awful timing for releasing this game at the price they're expecting people to pay.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
6217 posts
2152 upvotes
calgary
ReeGee wrote: ya I realize that and I'm not really nagging the price as much as the all around clueless marketing strategy Nintendo has behind this game. This is just awful timing for releasing this game at the price they're expecting people to pay.
I don't think there is a ton of carry over between people buying the Witcher 3 and Splatoon (if thats what your assuming).

I've got no problem with the timing, there hasnt been a major release like this on the WiiU since Smash brothers launched before xmas and there isn't anything announced until Zelda. People that buy WiiU need something to play.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9441 posts
6896 upvotes
Toronto
SpicYMchaggis wrote: I don't think there is a ton of carry over between people buying the Witcher 3 and Splatoon (if thats what your assuming).

I've got no problem with the timing, there hasnt been a major release like this on the WiiU since Smash brothers launched before xmas and there isn't anything announced until Zelda. People that buy WiiU need something to play.
I'm more assuming that the people who are even aware of and interested in this game already have time and money invested in a handful of other games already out and coming soon (including but not limited to Witcher 3) while the people who only have a WiiU and might be willing to pay $70 for it right now aren't even aware of it because of next to no marketing. I'm generally interested to see how this game sells. I think first week is going to be crazy low.
Sep 12, 2012
953 posts
905 upvotes
Toronto
Why are nintendo game reviews score so inflated? How is this game getting such high reviews? Everyone is saying its missing key fundamentals features in a shooter such as
"no voice chat, no private matches at launch, impossibility to change weapons and gear between matches without going back to the lobby, no custom loadouts, no challanges/ in game achievements/stats and the fact there are only 5 maps with 2 online modes"
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9441 posts
6896 upvotes
Toronto
Gunz13 wrote: Why are nintendo game reviews score so inflated? How is this game getting such high reviews? Everyone is saying its missing key fundamentals features in a shooter such as
"no voice chat, no private matches at launch, impossibility to change weapons and gear between matches without going back to the lobby, no custom loadouts, no challanges/ in game achievements/stats and the fact there are only 5 maps with 2 online modes"
Because the core game play and game content that is there now is actually good, polished and fun to play?
These "key fundamentals" that are missing are more so convenience features rather than things that will actually improve or even change the core game play experience. Maybe stuff like custom loadouts aren't even relevant to the context of the game? The rest of this stuff either doesn't effect the gameplay or can be patched in later if necessary and don't warrant docking score off of what's otherwise a polished and fun game to play.

I can tell you a dozen things missing from Smash and MK8 online, but those things don't take away from the fact that the game is a blast to play and their many 9/10 reviews are warranted.

Whether 5 maps and 2 modes is enough is subjective to how fun the game is or isn't and the vast majority of reviews seem to think it's enough.
Deal Guru
Jul 27, 2006
10912 posts
754 upvotes
Scarborough
Gunz13 wrote: Why are nintendo game reviews score so inflated? How is this game getting such high reviews? Everyone is saying its missing key fundamentals features in a shooter such as
Cause its Nintendo.
Sep 12, 2012
953 posts
905 upvotes
Toronto
^ So whats so different about Splatoon's lack of content vs Destiny? Destiny got hammered on reviews for lack of features and content yet Splatoon gets a free pass because its Nintendo