• Last Updated:
  • Sep 23rd, 2020 4:19 pm
[OP]
Oct 7, 2013
113 posts
35 upvotes
Scarborough, ON

Nintendo switch for 8 year old

Is getting a switch or switch lite a good idea for an 8 year old? Are these things much better than using a tablet? I'm also wondering if parents end up regretting purchase due to cost of games or kids becoming addicted?
13 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5634 posts
2812 upvotes
Mississauga
A Nintendo 3DS might be a better choice for an 8 year-old.
Nov 6, 2014
651 posts
974 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
I wouldn't suggest it as kids tend to waste a lot of time on them and then want more and more games that their friends have. It can get out of hand. I would suggest a tablet as there are more learning opportunities with a tablet.
[OP]
Oct 7, 2013
113 posts
35 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
My son already has a tablet and spends at least 2 hrs a day watching netflix and youtube, seems like everyday I have to hide his tablet. ...But it's his birthday and his friends have it. Ughhh!!!
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2171 posts
812 upvotes
Toronto
I think a Switch would be different than a tablet. With a tablet you get unlimited videos through YouTube, Netflix, etc and probably a bunch of free games via the Play Store.

With a Switch you are limited to the number games you can play because you only own so many. Sure, the kids can borrow each other's games but you're still limited.

A Switch can get costly because you'll need an SD card as well as games. So, if you're OK with the price tag then it's a good gift. Just like the tablet be prepared to take it away if you need to.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2007
1175 posts
247 upvotes
Buy a switch. Get some quality games. Mobile games are bad.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
7956 posts
4572 upvotes
Toronto
The Switch is pretty much only good for 8 year olds
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2471 posts
1727 upvotes
Markham
There are two paths for video game monetization. Video games by their nature are designed to be somewhat addicting, but the monetization path kind of determines what gets your child addicted and how. Traditional games are pay $60-80 for a game, but once you purchase it and you're given the full experience. You can replay it over and over be it in 2020 or 2050. The path of addiction here is the experience, they will take large chunks of time and if you don't watch out they could be gaming for more than 2 hours. It was not unheard of for myself to actually do 8 hour gaming sessions, multiplayer with friends is guaranteed to require continuous plays.

Then there's the second path, monetize access to the game. This is the free to play model, the game is free...but to get the best experience its not. Each game here differs where they employ their paywalls, sometimes its time based, sometimes its levels, etc. These games are more shallow and attempt to addict players into feeding money to keep going, these are called micro transactions. Think of the old arcade business model except even more nefarious. People with good self control, will pay nothing. People who have gambling addictions are royally screwed. The range of how much one pays in these games goes from $0 to insane amounts like $10000 for worst case scenarios, those unfortunate to pay so much are labelled whales by the industry.

The Switch games are more closer to the former, while tablets follow the later closer.

Sadly some games incorporate both things. They cost $60-80, but still attempt to nickel and dime you, so before purchasing a game you will absolutely need to research what micro transactions that game will have, the industry plainly refuses to take action here. Sports games are typically the absolute worst culprits ie. FIFA, NBA 2K20, etc.

One plus is the Switch does have parental controls and an app for you that use for specific concerns, something I think my parents would've loved. https://www.nintendo.com/switch/parental-controls/

I prefer the traditional model, the gaming experience is for me superior while at the same time the games will outlive their expected use. I still play some of the games I did almost 30 years ago, not regularly but sometimes to see in amazement how good I was and how crap I currently am lol, good old nostalgia.

If you follow the money, the big game publishers make their hordes of cash on the micro transactions, while they make pitiful amounts relatively on actual game sales. That should tell you which one is more expensive.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
1458 posts
121 upvotes
bkktravel wrote: I'm also wondering if parents end up regretting purchase due to cost of games or kids becoming addicted?
No. My kids are a little bit older now and have everything electronic. It's all about balance of life. I pushed the math and reading hard at that age and now they are straight A kids and completely absorbed by their tablets/phones/laptops.
At that age I encouraged them to explore the digital world. I taught them how to protect their accounts and passwords and their online identity. I also encouraged them to make their real world friends their online friends and now adays they aren't lonely. In covid times, they're gaming with friends and family for 6-10 hours a day. They're not starved for social contact.
At that age, I used screen time credits. They were gifted 1 hour a day and could save it for the next day. If they were bad, they would loose credits. If they were good they could gain extra time. They were responsible for monitoring their own tab and if they forgot what they had they lost the credits. Eventually I wanted them to value saving so I offered them interest on their saved credits. It was something like 25% a day compounded daily. One child calculated when he would get to infinity and earned it. That's when I stopped the credit system. I harbor no guilt for the screen time because it meant we shared 10 minutes a day, calculating compound interest.
I've also used exercise and cleaning up for them to gain "emergency" credits.
As for the switch vs tablet, my boys had 3DS's that they vastly preferred over the tablet at that age. They had a lot of games but only played with 3-4. It was the "creative" games that had good replay value. Animal Crossing, Freaky Forms Deluxe, and tomodochi life. Roblox is very popular and available on ipads.
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2010
2787 posts
1326 upvotes
Sudbury
I bought my son his Switch for his 4th birthday (3 years ago).

He has all the Mario games......the wife and I play it more than he does!

It was honestly a life saver on a plane (when flying was cool and you could interact with others). We usually found another family with young kids, and he has four remotes so they would all get together and play Mario Kart, or some other game. Makes the flight from Toronto to Orlando quite bearable.

We use it for road trips mainly now. Also at our cottage in the morning when he wakes up he usually plays for an hour or so by himself on it.

Personally, I am waiting for Wingspan to come out for the Switch so I can play.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2015
1738 posts
1502 upvotes
get him a 3ds the games are far cheaper. hes 8. he has a tablet already.
Oct 9, 2011
499 posts
184 upvotes
bkktravel wrote: My son already has a tablet and spends at least 2 hrs a day watching netflix and youtube, seems like everyday I have to hide his tablet. ...But it's his birthday and his friends have it. Ughhh!!!
I remember playing Mario at around age 5 (I have an older brother) and loved Mario since then. If his friends all have a Switch, he's going to want one eventually. I think it's not just about wnat what his friends have, he will feel left out and can't join the conversation if he's the only kid without it. 3DS is cheaper but it's outdated....
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2001
8724 posts
908 upvotes
My son is 9 and my daughter is 7 and they love the switch. Their favorite game is Yoshi Crafted World which they have passed it twice already. I'll probably pick up that Kirby Star Allies game for them next.
...zzz...zzz...zzz...

www.heatware.com
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
18509 posts
5330 upvotes
karnige wrote: get him a 3ds the games are far cheaper. hes 8. he has a tablet already.
The DS has been officially discontinued. Buy a Switch or Switch Lite...