Nintendo Switch Console screen cracked

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 1st, 2021 11:28 am
[OP]
Jan 13, 2017
732 posts
312 upvotes

Nintendo Switch Console screen cracked

Hi, my son dropped his Nintendo Switch on the carpet yesterday no more than a foot off the ground, and I noticed the screen is cracked down the middle. The screen still works and it works on the tv when he plays it, but it's annoying seeing it on the hand held screen. We purchased this through costco in September. Does anybody know if I can return it or exchange it back to Costco?
If not, does anybody know how I can get the screen replaced and how much it will cost?
Thanks.
14 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
4504 posts
4666 upvotes
GTA
Dragonrana2 wrote: Hi, my son dropped his Nintendo Switch on the carpet yesterday no more than a foot off the ground, and I noticed the screen is cracked down the middle. The screen still works and it works on the tv when he plays it, but it's annoying seeing it on the hand held screen. We purchased this through costco in September. Does anybody know if I can return it or exchange it back to Costco?
If not, does anybody know how I can get the screen replaced and how much it will cost?
Thanks.
Definitely try the Costco route first. They take back almost anything they sell. No clue how much it would cost, @XtremeModder might have an idea.

EDIT: Oh and small kids with electronics? Always invest in a rubberized case, lol
c'mon get happy!
[OP]
Jan 13, 2017
732 posts
312 upvotes
BernardRyder wrote: Definitely try the Costco route first. They take back almost anything they sell. No clue how much it would cost, @XtremeModder might have an idea.

EDIT: Oh and small kids with electronics? Always invest in a rubberized case, lol
Thanks will try the Costco route first. We have a case for his switch that has bumpers also ....but somehow the screen still cracked.
Feb 1, 2013
304 posts
267 upvotes
Did you put a screen protector on it by any chance? Reason I ask is because my daughter also cracked her screen.....or so I thought. Turns out that it was just the screen protector. Took it off, replaced it with another one. Probably explains why they sell screen protectors in packs of 2.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5654 posts
1344 upvotes
calgary
I though Switch screens are made of plastic and not glass so therefore they shouldn't crack (though they do scratch real easily) . Do you have a tempered glass screen protector on it by any chance?
[OP]
Jan 13, 2017
732 posts
312 upvotes
s1gfromwpg wrote: Did you put a screen protector on it by any chance? Reason I ask is because my daughter also cracked her screen.....or so I thought. Turns out that it was just the screen protector. Took it off, replaced it with another one. Probably explains why they sell screen protectors in packs of 2.
We have a plastic screen protector on the switch, but when we feel it on the outside of the protector there's no feeling of it being cracked. I had assumed that the screen was cracked from the inside. Will have to remove the screen to know for sure. But it is really stuck on. Will have to try to remove the protector tonight.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
4504 posts
4666 upvotes
GTA
Dragonrana2 wrote: We have a plastic screen protector on the switch, but when we feel it on the outside of the protector there's no feeling of it being cracked. I had assumed that the screen was cracked from the inside. Will have to remove the screen to know for sure. But it is really stuck on. Will have to try to remove the protector tonight.
My advice: peel it off slowly, with an eye on letting it go back on in case the screen is actually cracked. My daughter dropped her iPad on its corner years ago, and the screen protector was holding the tiny glass shards in.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
9594 posts
4075 upvotes
For any handheld screens, (iPhone, iPad, Switch) you should always get a tempered glass screen protector.

They are relatively cheap and save hundreds in potential damage or repair costs.

I bought these brands and they are of high quality according to reviews. I've never damaged the Nintendo Switchs I have so I don't know how much abuse
they can withstand.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07SQZ ... UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01N3A ... UTF8&psc=1

The first link has a 5 star review average, the other a 4.5.

Reaction shot of some idiotic kid testing tempered glass by hitting it with a hammer.
[OP]
Jan 13, 2017
732 posts
312 upvotes
Thanks everybody. I peeled off the plastic screen protector and it was that cracked. The screen is fine on the switch, the protector is split in half now. Just ordered another protector case that is tempered glass.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2014
1400 posts
765 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Yeah, I second the suggestions to use tempered glass screen protectors. I use them on all of our handheld devices and have never had issues with broken or cracked screens.

You just have to be a little careful when installing them, as it has to be centered and straight, and also avoid having air bubbles.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
4504 posts
4666 upvotes
GTA
Niklasky wrote: Yeah, I second the suggestions to use tempered glass screen protectors. I use them on all of our handheld devices and have never had issues with broken or cracked screens.

You just have to be a little careful when installing them, as it has to be centered and straight, and also avoid having air bubbles.
I've only had a couple of tempered glass screen protectors, but do they still have the air bubble issue? Mine never had that issue, but any plastic ones, booyyyyy... the bubbles issue makes me just want to throw the whole device out with the cheap protector.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
11269 posts
2313 upvotes
Durham Region
Dragonrana2 wrote: Thanks will try the Costco route first. We have a case for his switch that has bumpers also ....but somehow the screen still cracked.
-
Last edited by XtremeModder on Jan 28th, 2021 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
11269 posts
2313 upvotes
Durham Region
BernardRyder wrote: Definitely try the Costco route first. They take back almost anything they sell. No clue how much it would cost, @XtremeModder might have an idea.

Thanks for the call out.

I just stumbled upon this too, RFD didn't even tell me in the notifications.

Honestly I don't think it's good to return to Costco, it's a shitty thing to do as it isn't their fault the device broke now is it.

Sent the guy a msg, turns out it was just a screen protector that was cracked in the end.
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2004
10458 posts
615 upvotes
Mississauga
XFactor11 wrote: For any handheld screens, (iPhone, iPad, Switch) you should always get a tempered glass screen protector.

They are relatively cheap and save hundreds in potential damage or repair costs.

I bought these brands and they are of high quality according to reviews. I've never damaged the Nintendo Switchs I have so I don't know how much abuse
they can withstand.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07SQZ ... UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01N3A ... UTF8&psc=1

The first link has a 5 star review average, the other a 4.5.

Reaction shot of some idiotic kid testing tempered glass by hitting it with a hammer.
I've been big on tempered glass screen protectors in the past -- I have them on all my devices. On the Switch, it really wouldn't matter too much. The outer screen is plastic, so you are using a screen protector simply for eliminating scratching the plastic.

I dropped my iphone on Dec 31 and you'll be glad to know the tempered glass screen protector survived without a single scratch, crack or dent. But the iphone's glass was shattered in multiple places.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2391 posts
394 upvotes
dmdsoftware2 wrote: On the Switch, it really wouldn't matter too much. The outer screen is plastic, so you are using a screen protector simply for eliminating scratching the plastic.
Yeah, but that plastic has the resilience of a soft cheese. No one should buy a Switch without a tempered glass screen protector. The screen scratches when a kid so much as looks at it funny.