Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 23, 2016
101 posts
60 upvotes
London

Nintendo Switch Deals

I'm looking to buy a Switch. I haven't really been following the market so I'm curious what kind of deals I should hold out for. I've seen a couple of expired deals that were just like, save $30 on a bundle, and if that's the case I'll probably just get one now at full price. Have there been any decent deals outside of BF or BD?
18 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2012
3084 posts
844 upvotes
Toronto
Probably buying it at Shoppers Drug Mart on Thursday if you know any seniors(20% off), or during 20x points promo.
If you are lucky to find shoppers that has Switch that is.
¯\_(・_・)_/¯
[OP]
Nov 23, 2016
101 posts
60 upvotes
London
I found some guy on Kijiji selling a brand new, unopened one for $400, so I essentially save the tax. Is that probably my best option, assuming it's legit?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5560 posts
1216 upvotes
calgary
There are practically no deals on the switch ever. I think even on BD/BF had any discounts on the Switch.

Your best bet for a the best price on the switch is to hit up a store when they have a storewide discount such as Superstore with its "save the GST" or Shoppers with a Seniors discount.

If your comfortable shopping from kijiji to save a few bucks that is an option but there is always a risk involved with that.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 12, 2006
6631 posts
2740 upvotes
Canada
Wait till Friday, BB has a minor deal.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
8517 posts
5390 upvotes
Toronto
If you waited this long just wait for the bundles and/or hardware refresh coming later this year probably
Feb 8, 2018
7 posts
2 upvotes
This Saturday is no tax at superstore, so if you've been hording your PC points, now may be the time to cash them in.
Shoppers drug mart has 20x the points on the switch this coming flyer period, so you could buy the switch for cash and get $120 in points.
[OP]
Nov 23, 2016
101 posts
60 upvotes
London
I saw the SDM promotion on Saturday, but I checked out 3 stores today and none of them had stock, so I just sucked it up and went to BB and bought one. Kind of worked out because the guy there also sold me an unadvertised SNES Classic Mini.
Jun 13, 2015
150 posts
69 upvotes
L'Assomption
ReeGee wrote: If you waited this long just wait for the bundles and/or hardware refresh coming later this year probably
No way there is a hardware refresh just one year after its release.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
8517 posts
5390 upvotes
Toronto
Mcik316 wrote: No way there is a hardware refresh just one year after its release.
That's about how long it took with the DS and 3DS so we'll see. Base 3DS was out in 2011, XL in 2012. The Switch launch unit has tons of room for improvement
Jun 13, 2015
150 posts
69 upvotes
L'Assomption
ReeGee wrote: That's about how long it took with the DS and 3DS so we'll see. Base 3DS was out in 2011, XL in 2012. The Switch launch unit has tons of room for improvement
Didn’t know that. If it happens to the Switch, definitely the last Nintendo console I buy new.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2390 posts
394 upvotes
Upsizing/downsizing the Switch doesn't really work though. There's not much that can be reduced in the footprint and the joycons would end up being a mess. I doubt there will be a compelling cost reason for a refresh at the one year mark, and a new size doesn't make sense.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5560 posts
1216 upvotes
calgary
Mcik316 wrote: Didn’t know that. If it happens to the Switch, definitely the last Nintendo console I buy new.
That is one persons opinion,
Personally I'd be shocked if we saw a major redesign this year for a number of reasons:

- I really don't think there is much room for improvement other than a few under the hood things like improved wifi, improved joycon connectivity, and addressing dock scratching issue which could be refreshed behind the scenes. The screen size is pretty much where you want it to be.
- Nintendo has never had a major refresh of a home console, dating back to the regular NES.
- It is still continue to sell like hotcakes
- Most other console manufacturers didn't introduce a refresh until year 3
- This console costs 400$ meaning people are not going to "upgrade" unless its something major unlike the line of portable machines which were cheap to own and cheap to upgrade.

Also Nintendo has gone on record as saying they are not planning on doing hardware refreshs for the Switch but instead are planning on doing a bunch more accessories to maintain hardware sales ala Labo.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
8517 posts
5390 upvotes
Toronto
SpicYMchaggis wrote: - Nintendo has never had a major refresh of a home console, dating back to the regular NES.
actually good sir the Wii got a refresh late it its lifespan but I don't consider the Switch as entirely a home console anyway. I guess its primary use is subjective but myself and others look at it as a portable first, home platform second, so while a refresh may not happen this year, there's no doubt in my mind it will happen at some point same as it has for every other portable platform they've ever released.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5560 posts
1216 upvotes
calgary
ReeGee wrote: actually good sir the Wii got a refresh late it its lifespan but I don't consider the Switch as entirely a home console anyway. I guess its primary use is subjective but myself and others look at it as a portable first, home platform second, so while a refresh may not happen this year, there's no doubt in my mind it will happen at some point same as it has for every other portable platform they've ever released.
I didn't really look it up, I was just going off memory but are you talking about that disc-less red Wii that was only available in Canada? I purposely excluded that because it wasn't really an upgrade.

I guess there was also the Wiimote + which by all accounts could be considered a hardware upgrade.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2001
1536 posts
61 upvotes
Maple
On the topic of good deals for a Switch, what would be the things to look for if buying used? My kids are asking for it, and I'd love to save some $$, but am wary of any known issues to test for. Any suggestions?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5560 posts
1216 upvotes
calgary
spdztr wrote: On the topic of good deals for a Switch, what would be the things to look for if buying used? My kids are asking for it, and I'd love to save some $$, but am wary of any known issues to test for. Any suggestions?
The Switch is actually pretty durable, mine has been through hell and back so I've seen it all, here are a few things you could look out for:

- The screen scratches pretty easily so if there are no scratches it means it was probably well taken care of or just used in the dock.
- If the console has been dropped a few times chances are the Joycon lock has broken, if you a apply a small amount of pressure to the joycons from underneath without pushing the lock button and they pop off chances are the little plastic lock on the joycon snapped. I just replaced the lock on all my Joycons with a metal one.
- Check for hairline fractures on the back of the switch, apparently the rear casing has a tendency to fracture around the headphone jack. Also mine had fracture from the edge of the casing to where the kickstand was which prevented the kickstand from staying in the Switch when it was up.

Ultimately though as long as it turns on and charges fine though most of these are minor and can be fixed pretty easily on your own with cheap parts from China but if it has any of these issues I'd expect it to be that much cheaper.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2001
1536 posts
61 upvotes
Maple
SpicYMchaggis wrote: The Switch is actually pretty durable, mine has been through hell and back so I've seen it all, here are a few things you could look out for:

- The screen scratches pretty easily so if there are no scratches it means it was probably well taken care of or just used in the dock.
- If the console has been dropped a few times chances are the Joycon lock has broken, if you a apply a small amount of pressure to the joycons from underneath without pushing the lock button and they pop off chances are the little plastic lock on the joycon snapped. I just replaced the lock on all my Joycons with a metal one.
- Check for hairline fractures on the back of the switch, apparently the rear casing has a tendency to fracture around the headphone jack. Also mine had fracture from the edge of the casing to where the kickstand was which prevented the kickstand from staying in the Switch when it was up.

Ultimately though as long as it turns on and charges fine though most of these are minor and can be fixed pretty easily on your own with cheap parts from China but if it has any of these issues I'd expect it to be that much cheaper.
Thanks so much for this! Really appreciate it!