None
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11822 posts
5908 upvotes

Nintendo Switch Console Thread

UPDATE:
The Nintendo Switch is a console/portable hybrid system
that will release on March 3rd of 2017 for $299.99 USD or $399.99 CDN.

Screen Protection:
Here are the Nintendo Switch protection recommendations:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1349755

DO NOT buy the PREMIUM HORI screen protector. It does not fit properly despite being an officially licensed Nintendo Switch product.
Get a good tempered glass screen protector or even the regular Hori screen protectors shown in the link above.

Switch event: official reveal on January 12th, 2017

The first Nintendo Switch announcement on October 20th, 2016.

Nintendo Switch Hardware overview:

Nintendo Switch specs leaked:

Nintendo in charge of designing hardware:

Update:

From the operating results PDF:

"For our dedicated video game platform business, Nintendo is currently developing a gaming platform codenamed “NX” with a brand-new concept. NX will be launched in March 2017 globally."

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2016/160427e.pdf

Also: Zelda is delayed to 2017 and:

"No NX at E3. Will focus on new Zelda"

https://twitter.com/mochi_wsj

Update 1 - According to Nikkei : "Features, price, software at launch and other details to be announced by the end of the year"
http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXLASHD2 ... ?dg=1&nf=1

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/nintendo-nx-12 ... 16-1531297

Compilation thread with all known information about the Nintendo NX thus far with sources:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1171059
Last edited by XFactor11 on Apr 10th, 2022 1:57 am, edited 16 times in total.
3524 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
11677 posts
3489 upvotes
Victoria
I don't know much about the NX. The last few Nintendo consoles have been a generation behind on tech. The Wii had as much power as an xbox/ps2. The Wii U has has similiar power to a 360/ps3. Is Nintendo putting out a console to compete with the ps4/xb1? It's a few years later, maybe it'll be better?
Sep 12, 2012
954 posts
906 upvotes
Toronto
What is NX? A handheld like DS or console like PS4/XBONE?

If its like PS4/XBONE I think they have no chance and it will be just another Wii U failure. 12 million shipped seems a lot considered the Wii U just sold 10 million this year!
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
2310 posts
1068 upvotes
Toronto
Yeah there have been rumours about Nintendo ready to ramp up NX production for a while. There was a discussion about it on another Nintendo thread a while back.

It's highly likely that the NX is some sort of hybrid device that serves as both a home and portable device. We've been hearing rumours about that since 2013. It seem logical the type of path Nintendo takes.

I think they will release it next fall. Like it or not, the Wii U is on its last legs. There is not much milage left on that system. The 3DS is past its peak too, though it has more legs. It makes sense for Nintendo to launch the NX in Fall 2016 instead of 2017. Nintendo made a mistake leaving the Wii somewhat barren in 2011 and 2012. The Wii U already has a thin line up of games at its arsenal.

Now, I am highly skeptical Nintendo thinks they can sell 12, let alone 20 million of these units in a year. The Wii U sold 10 million units in 3 years. If Nintendo thinks they can sell 20 million units in one year - they are insane. That would peg it as one of the fastest selling consoles of all time.
Deal Guru
Jul 27, 2006
10963 posts
791 upvotes
Scarborough
I suspect its a hybrid. Clearly the handheld is their bread and butter at this point. By forcing users to purchase a console (spend more cash), they will increase their user-base.

Major problem Nintendo will have is that Playstation and Xbox have a lot of steam and people have much better opinions overall of those consoles than Nintendo.

Like none of the young people I know care for the Wii U or the Wii before it other than the gimmicks.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
2310 posts
1068 upvotes
Toronto
thechampion116 wrote:
Like none of the young people I know care for the Wii U or the Wii before it other than the gimmicks.
I find this to be true. Gen X and Millennials may have grown up with Nintendo and some of them still have a strong connection or loyalty to the brand (even though that is dwindling). Post-millennials, the children of today, are more into playing games on iPods, phones and tablets. Beyond that, they rather play on the PC, Playstation or Xbox.

The big N is failing to connect with a new generation of kids. They should be more aggressively in the mobile space. Instead their first mobile game is Miimoto, that got delayed to 2016.
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12807 posts
3837 upvotes
--
I'm a gambling man, I bet $100 that although they'll sell a lot of them, theyll have all their third party junk abandon them or put out shovelware junk just like the Wii and Wii U.

The other question is, is will the companies that have stopped producing content for the Nintendo come back for the NX or not...
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
21266 posts
6254 upvotes
Poormond Hill
12 million? After the Wii U, I doubt there are 12 million Nintendo diehard fans left.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Guru
Jul 5, 2001
10109 posts
12727 upvotes
Toronto
No interest in Nintendo, just like watching Jess McDonell. :lol:
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
21133 posts
9788 upvotes
Toronto
I guess 10 million will be sitting on shelves collecting dust.
Temp. Banned
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
998 upvotes
Vaughan
The hate is real in this thread.

You can tell which people grew up with Nintendo, and which of you are still in high school wondering who this Super Mario character is that people talk about.

Contrary to the belief in this thread, Nintendo isn't going anywhere - and as a business, they aren't stupid. If the next console is truly a hybrid (as in, 3DS-like mobile platform, and a higher powered Wii U as the base) then it will be huge for them. Their handheld business is massive, and when you factor those people in as sales, you have a very large market share where 12 million units is a drop in the bucket.

But it's too early - I don't even trust the sources in this article. Put away your pitchforks.
Aug 20, 2009
9827 posts
5935 upvotes
I really have to see what the NX will be before deciding on it. Love Nintendo stuff but they really need to catch up to the rest of the world in terms of multiplayer features and online networks. Their implementations for otherwise normal features is often baffling and inept. Anyways I hope they knock it out of the park, would love a powerful hybrid.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2013
2732 posts
277 upvotes
Mississauga, Ontario
I find Nintendo's problem is more hardware than software. Their games are still solid and they still seem to get the highest review scores for their exclusive stuff. They definitely know how to make fun and interesting games. Just wish they would release a powerful console for once. I think they could use a new franchise too, something a little more dark and serious, like Zelda during the N64 days, before it became cartoony. It used to be Mario for the cartoony stuff and Zelda for the darker, more serious stuff.

I say release a new Zelda game, and take it back to the Ocarina/Majority style of darker and serious.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9850 posts
7803 upvotes
Toronto
squadz wrote: Contrary to the belief in this thread, Nintendo isn't going anywhere - and as a business, they aren't stupid. If the next console is truly a hybrid (as in, 3DS-like mobile platform, and a higher powered Wii U as the base) then it will be huge for them. Their handheld business is massive, and when you factor those people in as sales, you have a very large market share where 12 million units is a drop in the bucket.

But it's too early - I don't even trust the sources in this article. Put away your pitchforks.
Nah dude 3ds only sold 50 million units and most of those people are grown ups now and waiting for VITA 2. /s

Would make sense that its probably a handheld successor in some form considering the 3ds is almost 5 years old and that's where their business is strongest
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
2310 posts
1068 upvotes
Toronto
squadz wrote: The hate is real in this thread.

You can tell which people grew up with Nintendo, and which of you are still in high school wondering who this Super Mario character is that people talk about.

Contrary to the belief in this thread, Nintendo isn't going anywhere - and as a business, they aren't stupid. If the next console is truly a hybrid (as in, 3DS-like mobile platform, and a higher powered Wii U as the base) then it will be huge for them. Their handheld business is massive, and when you factor those people in as sales, you have a very large market share where 12 million units is a drop in the bucket.

I grew up with Nintendo. I own a 3DS and Wii U. But I am not going to be blindly loyal to that company - they deserve all the criticism and flack they get.

I would love to say that Nintendo as a business is not stupid, but looking at how badly they fumbled on the Wii U... I'm not so sure.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
2310 posts
1068 upvotes
Toronto
SuperDuperFox wrote: I find Nintendo's problem is more hardware than software. Their games are still solid and they still seem to get the highest review scores for their exclusive stuff. They definitely know how to make fun and interesting games. Just wish they would release a powerful console for once. I think they could use a new franchise too, something a little more dark and serious, like Zelda during the N64 days, before it became cartoony. It used to be Mario for the cartoony stuff and Zelda for the darker, more serious stuff.

I say release a new Zelda game, and take it back to the Ocarina/Majority style of darker and serious.
I agree with the hardware issue and that's why I would have no issue with them becoming a third party developer. I think within a decade we will see AAA Nintendo games on PC and non-Nintendo consoles.
Feb 6, 2014
440 posts
29 upvotes
squadz wrote: The hate is real in this thread.

Yeah, it's sad. But Nintendo have only themselves to blame. Their hierarchy is so intensely blinkered. They really need to step out of their office buildings and listen to their fan-base and the newer generation of videogame designers rather than recirculating all of the same old pap with slightly better graphics on increasingly convoluted and proprietary platforms.

I'm absolutely certain it would only take a few really original ideas and smart redesigns of their back-catalog to bring them back into the limelight with a new console. But I'm of the mind that they need to go the route of Sony and MS and cater their consoles to developers rather than continually trying to produce 'innovative controllers' or complex hardware with proprietary technology. Hardware complexity just makes them less attractive to a third party developer, when the market already has two competing hardware options with tens of millions of existing customers. And attracting third parties are what will make or break the platform unless they radically expand their first party development.
Feb 6, 2014
440 posts
29 upvotes
ReeGee wrote: Nah dude 3ds only sold 50 million units and most of those people are grown ups now and waiting for VITA 2. /s

Would make sense that its probably a handheld successor in some form considering the 3ds is almost 5 years old and that's where their business is strongest
Vita 2? I highly doubt we'll see a Sony handheld any time soon. They've almost abandoned Sony Vita as a failure and it's barely three years in. I can't imagine how much R&D, manufacturing and marketing dollars they've sunk into that boat anchor. I can't see them even breaking even on that one.

My guess is they're going all in on VR instead.
Feb 6, 2014
440 posts
29 upvotes
SuperDuperFox wrote: I find Nintendo's problem is more hardware than software. Their games are still solid and they still seem to get the highest review scores for their exclusive stuff. They definitely know how to make fun and interesting games. Just wish they would release a powerful console for once. I think they could use a new franchise too, something a little more dark and serious, like Zelda during the N64 days, before it became cartoony. It used to be Mario for the cartoony stuff and Zelda for the darker, more serious stuff.

What about a persistent universe Pokemon game? Or a Zelda World-of-Warcraft-a-like open world MMORPG? A Metroid side-scrolling next generation old-school platformer and an FPS shooter? Mario RPG in the style of Skyrim? A VR Mario Kart? I think we can all think up a hundred different variants that would appeal to the masses.

It's time Nintendo started listening to what we want if they plan on building new hardware.
Aug 26, 2010
925 posts
288 upvotes
Brampton
Nintendo isn't bleeding money, they're still making profits and they put out solid first party games which are good enough to move hardware alone.
They have enough cash from the nes and Wii days to keep pumping out hardware for the next 20 years. Has the Wii U been a disappointment, I would say so compared to the Wii which had many great exclusives.
The Nintendo NX seems interesting if they are looking to combine console and mobile gaming together as a replacement of the Wii U and 3DS.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)