None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2006
3370 posts
343 upvotes
Brisbane

Nintendo Wii to outsell PS3?

Okay, so I'm going to tell you straight up... I am a nintendo fan and I plan on buying the Wii on release day, just like I did the gamecube.

On to my post... I personally believe that the PS3 will more or less flop, and here's why:

- Price (obvious)
- Phoney "motion sensitive" controller
- Lack of supply

I have never really liked Sony, except for my OK minidisc player and Z520a cell phone (which is actually pretty good). Nintendo, on the other hand has many things going for it. One main thing is the demographic in which they are aiming at.

Some may see this as Nintendo's crawling bid because they couldn't make it in the real world. IMO, they are just doing what Nintendo does best. They analyze and produce flawless, bug free products. Honestly, have you ever used a first party Nintendo product that didn't work or had a load of bugs?
Gamecube had zero recalls for faulty equipment. Sony had their share and of course so did the two Xbox's.

Before I go on a huge tangent, what are your opinions?
117 replies
Apr 6, 2002
612 posts
138 upvotes
YVR
In the long run, I think PS3 will come out as winner.

The reason to say this is, Wii's new controller idea is good. However, due to its lack of power, 360 and PS3 will outnumber in term of game titles since many titles that were created for next gen are resource hungry. We probably won't really see for the first year or two, but after that, I predict to see more of "redone" titles from Nintendo since method to explore the new joystick posibilities will become much more limited.

Remember, in term of performance, Wii is not far from what GC is now and that power is no comparison to PS3 and 360.

Regarding your opinion:
Price: with all the current PS3 craze going around the world, Sony has shown that people would still pay the 600+ for all its features+games.

Sixaxis: It might be a copy of Wii's idea, however, it all depends on how developers explore the capability of them to determine the function.

Supply: That is only a problem in short run. As more and more titles being launched and the production become more and more stable, the issue of supply/demand should become minimal.
Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish...
Deal Fanatic
Apr 6, 2003
8454 posts
15 upvotes
I got to point out that I imagine you would have had the same arguements for ps2 vs gamecube....and yeah...we all know how that turned out.
People who are in my gang: Nikita, Spidey, weedb0y, jcoltage, deep, pitz, Sylvestre, Icedawn, 3weddings, Ambermoon, CSK'sMom, jazzsax, bokep, matdwyer, Dash, KorruptioN, angekfire, sxz, WontonTiger, YYZFA, king_george, 45ED, sxz, Ojam

*WE GONNA GIT YOU!
Mar 20, 2005
960 posts
3 upvotes
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6159876.html

There's a report now saying that by the end of 2007, there will be more PS3 owners than Wii owners. We'll have to see. I'm sure there was something else saying that about the DS versus the PSP which proved to be a bad prediction.

I'm really not liking that the controller is lacking any kind of rumble-shock deal. Weren't there some games on the PS2 that used the rumble as a feature? The only one I can remember off the top of my head are the Fatal Frame games. That's going to hurt backwards compatibility a tiny bit. IGN doesn't seem to like the controller much either:
http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/ign/sixaxi ... 207777.php
Deal Addict
May 15, 2005
1194 posts
139 upvotes
nintendo will gain some market share back for the first 2 years but sony will still rule.

playstation has become a household name and the ps3 will be sold out for the rest of the year. By the end of this year and early next year, Nintendo will have sold more than the playstation because sony only produced 400K units while nintendo made somewhere between 1-3 million (not sure though)

Its basically going to be a horse race for the first year but then I see the Wii slowly dying off due to lack of third party support and people realizing the remote is just a gimmick. I do admit, the remote does have its advantages but eventually Nintendo will miss out on alot of the AAA multi-platform titles due to its lack of power and unconventional controller.

Sony will lose a fair bit of marketshare to nintendo and microsoft but I see microsoft in a much better position than nintendo.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 6, 2003
8454 posts
15 upvotes
Truemana wrote:
they are just doing what Nintendo does best. They analyze and produce flawless, bug free products. Honestly, have you ever used a first party Nintendo product that didn't work or had a load of bugs?
uhhh I recall something called the original nintendo that I had to blow into consistently to get it to work, and sometimes it just wouldn't no matter what. I have 3 Nintendo consoles right now just so I know I can get one of them to work.
People who are in my gang: Nikita, Spidey, weedb0y, jcoltage, deep, pitz, Sylvestre, Icedawn, 3weddings, Ambermoon, CSK'sMom, jazzsax, bokep, matdwyer, Dash, KorruptioN, angekfire, sxz, WontonTiger, YYZFA, king_george, 45ED, sxz, Ojam

*WE GONNA GIT YOU!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2004
7392 posts
267 upvotes
BC
I will probably get a PS3 as soon as I graduate next spring.

one word: Tekken.
insert witty comment
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2005
1753 posts
50 upvotes
games sell consoles not power under the hood. we'll have to wait and see which comes out on top and speculation and arguement are pointless at the moment.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2006
3370 posts
343 upvotes
Brisbane
ullyeus wrote: uhhh I recall something called the original nintendo that I had to blow into consistently to get it to work, and sometimes it just wouldn't no matter what. I have 3 Nintendo consoles right now just so I know I can get one of them to work.
I hardly think that's a valid example, since that was before Microsoft was a household name and Sony was still making vinyl record players. The only 2 other near competitions for Nintendo were NEC's turbo grafix and the Atari. That was 20 years ago.
ullyeus wrote: I got to point out that I imagine you would have had the same arguements for ps2 vs gamecube....and yeah...we all know how that turned out.
Nintendo's problem was that they were competing in an adult world, against companies that were completely willing to release mature games. Nintendo wasn't sure what they were, a kids machine or a gamer box. Now they have clearly defined who they are for... with price, functionality and release titles. The Gamecube didn't live up to the hype with their power and games and they never did put out the addons they promised.

You also seem to forget, prior to the Wii, Nintendo's products were notoriously difficult to develop for (cartridges specifically). Sony has had the edge, since Nintendo had little third party support. Now, the roles have switched and the PS3 is now up to 5 times more costly to develop than the original PSX. Nintendo, for example, has released a program specifically for developing controller movements.

My personal problem with Sony is they don't pump out the quality products they used to, IMO. They used to be THE name in electronics but now they have lost focus. Plus, they frequently release two physically identical products, disable software features or remove external ports and then alter the price by 20%. Great marketing but sort of weasely.

Oh, and regarding the fact that people are still willing to pay $600... I believe that a huge portion of people are just buying one to resell it for two or three times the original price on eBay. People that are willing to buy it at that price are the hardcore gamers. Exactly the demographic Nintendo isn't aiming for in the first place

Incidently I started this thread to have a discussion and enjoy some speculation, not to argue why my nofriendo is better. Besides, it's fun to root for an underdog.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2003
3133 posts
16 upvotes
everybody said the same stuff when PSP came out, heck i was even one of them. But DS came out on top, and it's gona be the same way with wii. I don't even doubt that wii will come out on top, x360 is toast, and Ps3 and Wii will duel it out.
Wealth Is Of The Heart And Mind, Not The Pocket
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2006
3370 posts
343 upvotes
Brisbane
Maybe Playstation will still be on top as far as sales go, but Nintendo will definitely regain some siginificant ground. Add to the fact Nintendo has a greater profit per unit...
Deal Guru
Oct 17, 2001
11921 posts
89 upvotes
Year 1 (when all 3 consoles are out): 360>Wii>PS3 (that's a big duh)
Year 2: 360>Wii>PS3
Year 3: 360=Wii>PS3
Year 4: Wii=PS3>360
Year 5: PS3>Wii>360
But the lead will be far slimmer. I still predict a HD-DVD 360 come Year 2 or 3.
For piracy purposes, 360>Wii>>>>PS3
From a "Family" reviewer: "We Cheer teaches coordination, enticement to lust, women being used as sex objects, and team work."

From Worthy Playing: "We Cheer is, then, for all intents and purposes, the F-Zero GX of music games. It asks for so much, yet forgives so little. It is actually so casual that it's hardcore."
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2006
1145 posts
95 upvotes
ps3 will come on top...i want a wii but 300 for 2x the power of gamecube is weak...i havent supported nintendo much since super nintendo days...nintendo 64 bought it, HATED IT. gamecube was fun until it broke down on me a bit over a year, the laser problem that most people had. DS is fun though but nintendo excels in handheld. i think the wiimote is a gimmick, im pretty sure theres gonna be some problems with it right off the bat. if the wii can get support from third parties, then i believe it has a bit of a fighting chance. but i believe most gamers will eventually pick ps3 and xbox360 because of their power.

anyways i support xbox360...only cuz i just won one. otherwise i would be all over a ps3 when its 300 dollars or so.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2006
3370 posts
343 upvotes
Brisbane
veejam wrote: ps3 will come on top...i want a wii but 300 for 2x the power of gamecube is weak...i havent supported nintendo much since super nintendo days...nintendo 64 bought it, HATED IT. gamecube was fun until it broke down on me a bit over a year, the laser problem that most people had. DS is fun though but nintendo excels in handheld. i think the wiimote is a gimmick, im pretty sure theres gonna be some problems with it right off the bat. if the wii can get support from third parties, then i believe it has a bit of a fighting chance. but i believe most gamers will eventually pick ps3 and xbox360 because of their power.

anyways i support xbox360...only cuz i just won one. otherwise i would be all over a ps3 when its 300 dollars or so.
What's this "common laser problem most people had"? I've never ever heard of that... in fact find an article explaining this. Keep in mind, Nintendo has sold 20 million gamecubes, so % is key.

Wiimote a gimmick? How so? If you are talking because it's new and different, then in the same respect a Blu-ray drive is just as gimmicky. Aren't "exchangable" console faceplates just a gimmick? In fact, they are just a hunk of plastic yet still cost 2/3 the price of a wiimote.

I think people that believe it's all about the power are nuts. If you want the most powerful piece of hardware out there, build a PC. Consoles are supposed to be standardized, inexpensive and specialized alternatives. Not PC replacements.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
sfu_lifer wrote: Year 1 (when all 3 consoles are out): 360>Wii>PS3 (that's a big duh)
Year 2: 360>Wii>PS3
Year 3: 360=Wii>PS3
Year 4: Wii=PS3>360
Year 5: PS3>Wii>360
But the lead will be far slimmer. I still predict a HD-DVD 360 come Year 2 or 3.
For piracy purposes, 360>Wii>>>>PS3
If I may offer my own opinion ;)

End of 2006 (when all 3 consoles are out): Wii>360>PS3
End of 2007: Wii>360>PS3
End of 2008: Wii>PS3>360
End of 2009: Wii=PS3>360

Explanation:
End of 2006: for reason of price and availability, the Nintendo Wii will immediately outsell the existing sales of the 360, which have really not been THAT great so far. The PS3 will sell to fanboys willing to shell out some serious $$$, but not much more.

End of 2007: Sony will have largely fixed their production issues by this point, and will have been able to get a siginifcant number of units out on the market. MS will counter by allowing more content to be officially supported on their system, such as DivX and XviD movies (I said OFFICIALLY). This will be a desperate move on their part. Nintendo will continue to have strong sales, while tapping into markets untouched by either MS or Sony (such as our parents... I don't know about you guys, but my Mom wants a Wii! :cheesygri )

End of 2008: By this point, the whole BluRay thing will finally be paying off for Sony. The initial units sold of the PS3 will have bolstered the BluRay movie release market, and then the opposite will become true (the BluRay movie market will come back to increase PS3 unit sales). At this point, HDDVD movies will start becoming less important. However, this hinges a lot on whether or not a cost effective dual format player/recorder has been released... I'm betting on no.

End of 2009: The PS3 finally catches up to the Wii in sales. Sony starts actually breaking even on their systems. MS is still in the red over the 360, and has been not able to push for new innovations on account of this, which will effectively cost them the console war.

And somewhere around 2007 MS will release a 360 with internal HDDVD player, with HDDVD game support, which ostricizes their current system owners, making them incapable of playing the best new games.

Sony will make some really stupid moves in there as well... but Sony seems to be MUCH less predictible this way then MS. Probably some new DRM thing will mess them up at some point.

In the end, I think it will be a Wii/PS3 battle however. MS is relying entirely too much on XBox Live and fancy graphics, and not enough innovation. Nintendo *IS* innovation, and Sony is at least making efforts. But of course, this is mostly guess work, so we'll all just have to wait and see what happens.
Current DVD Burner Suggestion? Stick with Pioneer
Current suggested recordable media?
CD-Rs = Maxell CD-R Pro, Verbatim Datalife+, Falcon Media Pro
DVD
Deal Expert
Oct 15, 2002
18196 posts
137 upvotes
GTA
The Digital Dolphin wrote: End of 2006 (when all 3 consoles are out): Wii>360>PS3
End of 2007: Wii>360>PS3
End of 2008: Wii>PS3>360
End of 2009: Wii=PS3>360
I agree with this one more than the above. Though i think PS3 > 360?

Go ... Nintendo!! :cheesygri
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2004
1371 posts
46 upvotes
Toronto
I dont understand why everyon thinks the WII is so under powered. They said the same about the Gamecube but I found alot of the games looked better than my Xbox (especially Resident Evil).
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2002
3362 posts
125 upvotes
Vancouver
Truemana wrote: Okay, so I'm going to tell you straight up... I am a nintendo fan and I plan on buying the Wii on release day, just like I did the gamecube.

On to my post... I personally believe that the PS3 will more or less flop, and here's why:

- Price (obvious)
- Phoney "motion sensitive" controller
- Lack of supply

I have never really liked Sony, except for my OK minidisc player and Z520a cell phone (which is actually pretty good). Nintendo, on the other hand has many things going for it. One main thing is the demographic in which they are aiming at.

Some may see this as Nintendo's crawling bid because they couldn't make it in the real world. IMO, they are just doing what Nintendo does best. They analyze and produce flawless, bug free products. Honestly, have you ever used a first party Nintendo product that didn't work or had a load of bugs?
Gamecube had zero recalls for faulty equipment. Sony had their share and of course so did the two Xbox's.

Before I go on a huge tangent, what are your opinions?
*quick note, i have seen, touched and used all of the hardware, but i am not associated with any of the 3 hardware manufactures

nintendo is changing the way you play the game (no pun intended)

ps3 and 360 are doing the same old games with better graphics, there's nothing that has been done on 360 or ps3 that couldn't of been done on the current gen (other than large groups of people, which has somehow become a "feature" in games)

and if graphics are a huge issue compare all 3 on standard def tv's, it's like xbox 1.5 and ps2.5, then you'd reconsider your $500+ you've put into the hardware

psp was supposed to takeover the world and it's struggling because there wasn't full support for UMD's (another way for sony to make royalties), crappy games (ps2 games at ps1 quality, whoo) and another sony brand royalty add-on mem stick duo (which has been taken over by adapters to use mini sd's instead)

ps3 sounds kind of the same, they have a royalty driven media format (blu ray obviously) with partial support of the industry and technology in the works to have bluray and HD DVD on the same disc or a drive that can read both types of discs (it'll be like dvd-r vs dvd+r all over again except one is bigger), as well as weak 1st party software (resistance being the "killer app", with supporting titles like flOw and untold legends) and 3rd party support that also that's doing 2nd gen on an already existing system (which looks graphically superior to ps3 right now)

my gripe with sony is that they continue to push their stupid useless types of software/media hoping to get 100% acceptance and full rights and royalties, and now it's affecting the way they make games

sony has always been a hardware company, they've historically put together quality hardware and that's how they built their name and now they've all of a sudden decided to use a piece of their mainstream hardware to push out their new type of media/software, cramming it down our throats instead of giving us a choice

where as microsoft and nintendo have always been about software and making quality software

people need to remember what you see and/or play on your screen is about the spinning disc, not what that disc is sitting in

i support good software, hardware is irrelevant as you will soon see
Apr 6, 2002
612 posts
138 upvotes
YVR
Cruel_Angel wrote: everybody said the same stuff when PSP came out, heck i was even one of them. But DS came out on top, and it's gona be the same way with wii. I don't even doubt that wii will come out on top, x360 is toast, and Ps3 and Wii will duel it out.
PSP didn't exactly fail.

Remember, Nintendo has dominated the portable gaming for many years already. Other attemps to get close to Nintendo have failed pretty bad.

PSP is the only one that actually threatened the position of Nintendo in portable gaming. I wouldn't be surprized to see DS to become second when PSP's revision/update comes to market.

I personally believe that Wii's *revolutionary* joystick would become obsolete within a year or 2 after developers can't find new ways to use the motion sensing system. And Nintendo will simply begin to put more and more re-newed titles into the market.

Some of the current announced games for Wii are simply *not* meant to play solo as it would simply look stupid. Imagine a nice warm weekend afternoon and a guy all alone making the kamehame moves to launch something in game.
Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish...
Deal Addict
May 15, 2005
1194 posts
139 upvotes
casuals rule the market.

thats how enter the matrix became such a high selling POS.

Playstation will have the following behind it simply because of its name and variety and quantity of games. Sony will lose marketshare, theres no doubt about that, but to say the Wii will outsell the PS3 is wishful thinking.

Nintendo will never shake the image of being "kiddy" until they kill mario. For Nintendo to rely on nostalgia (which it is through its virtual console) is a mistake since most gamers will have roms on their computer or weren't born during the 8/16-bit era.

Microsoft won't die off. They have a tendency to outlast their competition and gaining more and more marketshare with each generation. With their deep pockets, they can afford to. Plus with Halo 3 on the way, i see one of the biggest days in videogame history again.