Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2006
3370 posts
343 upvotes
Brisbane
SofaKing wrote: The Wii60 is going to be a powerful force this Christmas.

That and the fact that between 4 and 11(!!) million will be available by the end of the year won't hurt the Wii this year as well.

The console wars is Sony's to lose, and so far they seem to be doing their very best to do so.
I'd have to agree, it's Sony's war to lose. Roles have switched since the last release. Nintendo, not Microsoft is the wildcard. Last time it was a losing battle for nintendo. Seems Microsoft is in that now, since the sale of their console never really hit huge highs due to lack of supply.
I think we all need to remember the xbox is non-existant in Japan. There, it is Sony or Nintendo. The final numbers largely depend on what happens in Japan.

It is already obvious Nintendo will far surpass it's Gamecube sales and regain a significant portion of the market. It seems this time it's the Sony fans claiming "nope, they will rebound with awesome games and a cheaper system! You'll see!" whereas last time Nintendo fans were saying the same.

Don't forget, the Gamecube is more powerful than the PS2. I am alright if Nintendo doesn't do well, it's expected that they are the has-been. Sony, on the other hand, has this aura that they can never mess up or put out a bad product. They are fully capable, and seem to be right on track....
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2002
3362 posts
125 upvotes
Vancouver
rfdghost wrote: travel back in time to 'a year ago' to bump this thread to make a nintendo fanboy look silly?......... you so crazy

and i repeat this again, what's the point of arguing which console comes on top? buy the one that has games that you want to play and be happy.
yeah it's like cheering for the leafs, you're never gonna win... oOoOOoooOOOh
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2002
3362 posts
125 upvotes
Vancouver
Truemana wrote: I'd have to agree, it's Sony's war to lose. Roles have switched since the last release. Nintendo, not Microsoft is the wildcard. Last time it was a losing battle for nintendo. Seems Microsoft is in that now, since the sale of their console never really hit huge highs due to lack of supply.
I think we all need to remember the xbox is non-existant in Japan. There, it is Sony or Nintendo. The final numbers largely depend on what happens in Japan.

It is already obvious Nintendo will far surpass it's Gamecube sales and regain a significant portion of the market. It seems this time it's the Sony fans claiming "nope, they will rebound with awesome games and a cheaper system! You'll see!" whereas last time Nintendo fans were saying the same.

Don't forget, the Gamecube is more powerful than the PS2. I am alright if Nintendo doesn't do well, it's expected that they are the has-been. Sony, on the other hand, has this aura that they can never mess up or put out a bad product. They are fully capable, and seem to be right on track....
microsoft doesn't really need japan to be successful, considering their track record with the xbox when it had no acceptance from japan, i think after 360's lifetime they'll figure out they have no chance competing with 2 japanese companies and pull out from there and put money into other projects focused on the rest of the world

yes japan is a big market but not penetrating it will not kill the company, whereas if sony or nintendo had that problem they'd be going down a steep hill with not brakes
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2004
3226 posts
107 upvotes
Edmonton
BaconMunch wrote: What confuses me is that EVERYONE says PS3's will sell better when production cost and prices will drop. There are two things to take into consideration:
1) If PS3 production/price drops, you can't assume that Wii prices won't drop either, that's an unfair comparison and the fact that Nintendo is making money off systems as opposed to PS3 which is hurting for every system shipped, which console would more easily drop $50? let alone $300-$400.
Look at the Cube's price drop. At one point it was close to $100 cheaper than PS2 and look where the Cube finished. For the longest time after the Cube was $99 bucks, the PS2 was still close to $80 bucks more expensive. Even now it's close to $50 bucks more expensive than the Cube. People whine and ***** on the net but the price plays very little into the picture, especially when you're not an early adaptor, which you shouldn't be given Sony's track record with bugs in the early SKUs.

Price drops are moot and the benefits lead to diminishing returns in the long run. And you have to look at the big picture over the entire stretch of the generation. Really, when the Wii becomes $140, and the PS3 becomes $250 or 350, what do you think it's going to happen when the Wii has no 3rd party support? No games = no support = ultimately less sales and less revenue. While it's nice to not sell your console at a lost, ultimately, they make the money in game sales. And given the Wii's standard controller is the simple remote and with the secondary input being a horridly designed Cube pad and the fact that it's grossly underpowered means it will NEVER get any popular ports; add that all up and it's a guarantee you won't see Wii become a dominate force. Not to mention you can't even watch DVDs on the Wii. The way Nintendo has structured itself in this generation it is destined to become a niche toy.

Again, it's all about the games. Nintendo has shown the grandest form of hubris this generation in their designs. They're basically saying, design your games around us when they don't realize they don't have a strangle hold on the market like in they did back in 16 bit era. From a developer's standpoint, it's far safer to make some flashy crappy games that they can port to PS3, 360 and the PC than to develop for one niche market. Nintendo is not going to go under cuz of the Wii but you have to be reading too much Slashdot if you think they'll do anything significant this generation.
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2004
3226 posts
107 upvotes
Edmonton
The Digital Dolphin wrote: Hrm.... I think you would fit in very well at Sony with that style of thinking :cheesygri

But you're completely ignoring the fact that Wii is going to be bought by PS3 and 360 owners, Nintendo Fanboys, AND a lot of non-gamers that would normally have no interest in video games.
Do you think there are more multiple console owners than single console owners?

And more importantly, do you think single console owners will pick the Wii despite it has a lower number of highly anticipated franchises on board?

And lastly, do you think the revenue generated from the Wii's game sales can eclipsed that of the PS3?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2003
6267 posts
106 upvotes
Sheky wrote: Not to mention you can't even watch DVDs on the Wii.
Does anyone really care about playing DVDs on their console??? DVD players are 30$!
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2006
1741 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Here's a question: What is a Sony loss and what is a Nintendo Win?

If Sony drops marketshare from 70% to 50%, and Nintendo rises from 15% to 30%, who wins? Total market share is still Sony, but Nintendo managed to double their market.

Here's a more recent example: Compare DS vs PSP sell rates: it's a 60/40 split in terms of worldwide hardware sales, but looking at software, then it's closer to 70/30 or 80/20.
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2004
3226 posts
107 upvotes
Edmonton
mart242 wrote: Does anyone really care about playing DVDs on their console??? DVD players are 30$!
Blu Ray...

And when the price of a PS3 is similar to that of a stand alone player, people will care.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2002
3362 posts
125 upvotes
Vancouver
Sheky wrote: Blu Ray...

And when the price of a PS3 is similar to that of a stand alone player, people will care.
and what percent of households have an hdtv and subscribe to hdtv services?

it seems like a high percentage here because there are loads of tech savvy people here

and when you're talking standalone players you're talking about the 1/100th of a percent of people that would even consider it let alone know what it is, and you're expecting movie buffs (the majority of people considering it) to switch over to a combination system because it's cheaper

truth is, if you're that hardcore into blu ray or hd dvd at this moment they would have purchased their standalone already

you can't compare ps3/blu ray to ps2/dvd because dvd had been around and retail or atleast a year before and had an established base and full support of the movie industry

now you have ps3 with blu ray and less than 20 titles that you do or don't want to see, and no choice but to purchase an hd dvd player if it doesn't get released on blu ray costing the consumer a whole lot more money

that's another arguement though

not many people are going to buy a ps3 for a blu ray player like people not buying ps2 to be a dvd player, they're just side features

dvd had a huge lead at the time unlike blu-ray which makes even less like people will care
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2002
3362 posts
125 upvotes
Vancouver
Sheky wrote: Nintendo is not going to go under cuz of the Wii but you have to be reading too much Slashdot if you think they'll do anything significant this generation.
are you kidding? they've already changed portable gaming , and you've got sony trying to make copycat games with psp that just don't work the same without a touch screen

and you bring up this niche market just because of the controller? for some reason people don't seem to realize the controller can be used without the motion sensitivity, you've got a basic analog, 2 shoulders on the left part, and the right d-pad can easily be 4 buttons, plus a big main A button and a B trigger/shoulder

and the fact you can plug in a gamecube controller (wireless should work too) the system hardly is a niche

anyone who hasn't touched or played with a wii controller have this absurd idea of how it's used, something like a 5 year old with foam nunchuks or something

if you think that's a joke wait till you get your hands on a game making use of the ps3 motion sensitivity
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2006
1741 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
SuSHi wrote: are you kidding? they've already changed portable gaming , and you've got sony trying to make copycat games with psp that just don't work the same without a touch screen

and you bring up this niche market just because of the controller? for some reason people don't seem to realize the controller can be used without the motion sensitivity, you've got a basic analog, 2 shoulders on the left part, and the right d-pad can easily be 4 buttons, plus a big main A button and a B trigger/shoulder

and the fact you can plug in a gamecube controller (wireless should work too) the system hardly is a niche

anyone who hasn't touched or played with a wii controller have this absurd idea of how it's used, something like a 5 year old with foam nunchuks or something

if you think that's a joke wait till you get your hands on a game making use of the ps3 motion sensitivity
IE: NBA2K7's motion control: Push forward for double handed passes and free throws, shake the controller to shake off the other players...
Deal Addict
May 24, 2006
2040 posts
26 upvotes
Okay here's another thing that I have never understood up to this point. Sony markets Blueray playing has a perk and that a standalone Blueray player cost $1000, and that it is a steal that the PS3 has this functionality. Last time I checked, a standalone HD-DVD player can be had for $500, or the xbox360 addon for $200.
Last time I checked in the format war, has Blueray proven to be 2x-4x better than HD-DVD? Maybe it's just an expensive format with expensive hardware in the first place. Don't get me wrong, I'm loving the screenshots at 1080p but don't market a product at an exhorbitant price and says it's a nobrainer buy because you can get it at 75% percent of a standalone player, when your competitor is selling at greater than half price.
And people are saying that the PS3 will be reaching it's full potential in 2010, well you're paying a premium for that technology now, that's all there really is to it.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2002
3362 posts
125 upvotes
Vancouver
BaconMunch wrote: Okay here's another thing that I have never understood up to this point. Sony markets Blueray playing has a perk and that a standalone Blueray player cost $1000, and that it is a steal that the PS3 has this functionality. Last time I checked, a standalone HD-DVD player can be had for $500, or the xbox360 addon for $200.
Last time I checked in the format war, has Blueray proven to be 2x-4x better than HD-DVD? Maybe it's just an expensive format with expensive hardware in the first place. Don't get me wrong, I'm loving the screenshots at 1080p but don't market a product at an exhorbitant price and says it's a nobrainer buy because you can get it at 75% percent of a standalone player, when your competitor is selling at greater than half price.
And people are saying that the PS3 will be reaching it's full potential in 2010, well you're paying a premium for that technology now, that's all there really is to it.
not 2x-4x better, just 2x larger
Deal Guru
Oct 17, 2001
11910 posts
86 upvotes
SuSHi wrote: not 2x-4x better, just 2x larger
In fact, go to the avsforums.
HD-DVD is the winner so far in terms of the movie quality out there. Blu-Ray is still using mpeg2, a decidedly old and crappy compression while HD-DVD is using Microsoft's superior codec. Once Blu-Ray switches over to that, then yes the pic quality should be equal. Blu-ray is 2x larger but they're still having a hard time manufacturing doublelayer blu-ray en masse whereas they've been doing double-layer HD-DVD for a long time now.
From a "Family" reviewer: "We Cheer teaches coordination, enticement to lust, women being used as sex objects, and team work."

From Worthy Playing: "We Cheer is, then, for all intents and purposes, the F-Zero GX of music games. It asks for so much, yet forgives so little. It is actually so casual that it's hardcore."
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2004
3226 posts
107 upvotes
Edmonton
SuSHi wrote: are you kidding? they've already changed portable gaming , and you've got sony trying to make copycat games with psp that just don't work the same without a touch screen

I don't deny the Wii concept is an interesting idea. If it's not good, then the bastards at Sony wouldn't have copied it. But you have to realize it's causal gaming that rules the market. There's very little you can do with that type of interface and when the entire selling point of the system is predicated upon that interface you're basically pigeonholing the system to be a niche. If it's not mainstream, it's niche. I don't even known how you can begin to argue this to be otherwise.

And the horizontal controls or Cube pad is flawed. It's asymetrical, lacks enough shoulder triggers, lacks buttons. It makes mandatory six button fighters play like crap, makes complex games like Winning Eleven or MGS unplayable. And Sony has already copied the Wii's concept. How long do you think it'll take for 3rd parties to start porting Wii titles to the PS3? If Lucasarts makes a bad ass Jedi simulator on the Wii and sells millions, you don't think they'll try to port it to the PS3 using their motion sensor crap? If I was Sony, I'd make a blu ray remote that doubles as a motion sensor controller to kill two birds with one stone. Sell extra crap that makes a ton of money and entice all 3rd party games on Wii to be ported.

Anyway you slice it, you'll get more games on PS3 and the only exclusives on the Wii will be Zelda and Mario. It's shown in the past two generations that those two franchises alone can't put the console on top. The moment Nintendo finalized their motion sensor idea is the moment they've relinquished the chance of finishing first this generation. But that seems to be their tactic as they're not out to win; they're out to not lose.