[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2007
3668 posts
807 upvotes

Nissan Canada doubles CVT warranty to 200,000km

[IMG]http://www.autonorth.ca/storage/2010_ni ... 8549220472[/IMG]
from AutoNorth.....

Yesterday Autoblog.com announced Nissan USA has doubled the warranty on their CVTs.

Today we're happy to announce Nissan Canada is doing the same.

Details after the jump.

Here are the straight, unedited goods from Nissan Canada's spokeswoman.

The CVT warranty extension for 2003 through 2010 model vehicles also applies to Canadian vehicles. For Canada the warranty for CVT is doubled from 5 years or 100,000 kilometers (whichever occurs first) to 10 years or 200,000 kilometers (whichever occurs first). Canadian customers who have already paid for an out of warranty repair that would have been covered by this warranty extension will be reimbursed. Customers should contact their authorized Nissan dealer to request a reimbursement.

Not too shabby.

[Source: Nissan Canada]
23 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19286 posts
2983 upvotes
Woodbridge
We are very pleased to hear this, we all have '08 Nissan's with CVT (Altima Coupe 2.5S & 3.5SE and Rogue SL) in the family.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
3321 posts
900 upvotes
Ancaster
Are they doing this because there are problems with the CVT transmission, because they never do anything out of the kindness of their hearts.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2004
1358 posts
107 upvotes
If there were widespread problems with the CVT, I think they would try to blame it on something else, or pretend there were no problems. I think this is more of a publicity stunt and they don't reallly expect many people to ever have to use this.
nielboy wrote: Are they doing this because there are problems with the CVT transmission, because they never do anything out of the kindness of their hearts.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
29075 posts
4768 upvotes
Montreal
I suspect it's due to failures. If Nissan's CVTs were really the bee's knees, how come they never put them in Infiniti cars?

Nissan has done this before. Put out a bum product, deny problems for years, then quietly fix them without question. Qr25de anyone?
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2007
4394 posts
280 upvotes
Toronto
mr_raider wrote: I suspect it's due to failures. If Nissan's CVTs were really the bee's knees, how come they never put them in Infiniti cars?

Nissan has done this before. Put out a bum product, deny problems for years, then quietly fix them without question. Qr25de anyone?
I think Infiniti's offerings are geared more towards enthusiasts.. especially like the G-series. Real enthusiasts.. people who like to "drive" wouldn't appreciate CVT one bit =P
#KeepFightingMichael
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19286 posts
2983 upvotes
Woodbridge
:o

I like to "drive" and love my CVT/Tiptronic!

I told my sister and her reaction, "is there a problem with it?"
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2004
4624 posts
1304 upvotes
Guelph, ON
nielboy wrote: Are they doing this because there are problems with the CVT transmission, because they never do anything out of the kindness of their hearts.
Yes, there have been many problems.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2006
1347 posts
6 upvotes
thats awesome, the cvt seem to be trouble free on our 2007 2.5 altima.
Its actually not as bad as people say, its incredibly smooth and i'd take this over a traditional automatic any day.
In a normal car, under normal roads and highways. Not like, racetrack and 500hp beasts.
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
12829 posts
1883 upvotes
Toronto
sixer wrote: Yes, there have been many problems.
Typical RFD. Make a claim, then completely disappear, avoiding any call-outs.

Perhaps this is to re-assure potential owners about the durability (?) of CVTs. Personally, I still don't trust them.
Deal with it.
Jan 27, 2004
77 posts
truck city
Nice!
I like the smooth feeling of a CVT transmission.

Now Nissan would be a good choice.
Jun 4, 2008
456 posts
4 upvotes
KorruptioN wrote: Perhaps this is to re-assure potential owners about the durability (?) of CVTs. Personally, I still don't trust them.
Agreed. Cars with cvt's aren't even on my shopping list, they are automatically excluded, mainly due to the fact they are not rebuildable ie it craps out on you = 3500$...... a conventional tranny rebuild shouldn't cost more than 2k (I have yet to pay over 1500 for a rebuild). I have always liked the Maxima's, since the 97 models at least, but won't even consider the newer models due to this. I think most Nissan cars currently use cvt's, whereas I don't think any Infinitis do.. If I wasn't such a high mileage driver, I would maybe consider one due to the extended warranty now... but still. I could be wrong, but I'd rather wait it out a few more years to see how they last/how much replacements cost, etc, until I consider one again.
Feb 9, 2009
228 posts
35 upvotes
Buyers of CVT transmissions should be aware that if you tow anything you automatically void your transmission warranty....although the Nissan dealer will happily sell you a trailer hitch for your vehicle.
Deal Addict
May 7, 2005
2823 posts
51 upvotes
I don't really like CVT transmissions either. It's true that you get used to it after a while, and it is fairly smooth, but I noticed that the car gets pretty loud when you are accelerating from a stand still. Once it "catches up" with the acceleration it gets quiet and smooth again, but it sometimes gets frustrating. No I dont just step down as hard as I can on the gas pedal, that's just the way the transmission seems to be unless I am accelerating at an unacceptably slow pace. Sometimes it feels like....the feeling if you had a manual transmission and the clutch is slipping....

But then again, I don't think people should completely dismiss CVT's, I can see how some people would like this more than a traditional automatic transmission, some cite durability problems with these transmissions, but we will never know until 5 years or so, and if they're offering a 10 year warranty i don't see the huge risk you would be taking. But truthfully, I think these transmissions are better suited for econoboxes, but if you are really driving for the enjoyment of it, you would not be driving an automatic anyways...
Deal Addict
May 27, 2005
2284 posts
47 upvotes
Kingston
VorteC wrote: I think Infiniti's offerings are geared more towards enthusiasts.. especially like the G-series. Real enthusiasts.. people who like to "drive" wouldn't appreciate CVT one bit =P
Agreed. I've driven a Nissan Altima with CVT and was quite impressed, but I wouldn't buy one. I want it to rev to the red line and then shift.

CVTs are just as offensive to automatic transmissions as automatics are to manuals.

I have an automatic now because of the wife, but I draw the line at a CVT.
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2001
2823 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto
belgiangenius wrote: CVTs are just as offensive to automatic transmissions as automatics are to manuals.
Care to explain?
I can only list advantages of getting CVT over automatic. Haven't found any disadvantages yet.
Hi5exposure Photography
http://www.hi5exposure.com
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2007
1058 posts
216 upvotes
urameatball wrote: Care to explain?
I can only list advantages of getting CVT over automatic. Haven't found any disadvantages yet.

+1

Nothing better than having the fuel mileage of a standard, the ease of an automatic and a ten year warranty to boot. Love my 07 Altima and soon to be 09 Maxima, both with CVT
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2004
1335 posts
25 upvotes
A warranty is ALMOST never extended unless the seller's statistics estimate that the product will outlast the duration of the warranty. With a new technology, you usually underestimate the warranty to cover your butt should things not pan out with it. If they have found the CVT to be rock solid, doubling the warranty makes a great selling point in a very competitive market.

FYI- I own a G37 and every time they give me a loaner, it is a CVT altima- I find the car feel neutered by comparison- no engine noise or goto gear to pass.
Why is nobody on RFD accountable for their actions???
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2001
2823 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto
Gloaming wrote: A warranty is ALMOST never extended unless the seller's statistics estimate that the product will outlast the duration of the warranty. With a new technology, you usually underestimate the warranty to cover your butt should things not pan out with it. If they have found the CVT to be rock solid, doubling the warranty makes a great selling point in a very competitive market.

FYI- I own a G37 and every time they give me a loaner, it is a CVT altima- I find the car feel neutered by comparison- no engine noise or goto gear to pass.
neutered sounds about right when you're comparing with a car that's worth 2x as much.
Was at the nissan dealer yesterday. Sat in the Altima, everything was pretty nice. Then sat in the G37 coupe and it was a whole lot of wow (relatively).
Hi5exposure Photography
http://www.hi5exposure.com
Nov 20, 2007
51 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Hi all, my 2009 Altima is giving me issues at 202000. I went to my reg. mechanic 5 times before they did the diagnostic and found it was an issue with CVT ( i had other problems). I don't know what to do. Do I call Nissan Canada or do I go to the closest dealer and talk to the service mgr. I know they will try and say it's out of warranty..i'm only over by 2000 clicks. Any help would be great. Has anyone had CVT replaced out of warranty?