Nissan key broke, can i clone it?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 19th, 2020 4:59 pm
[OP]
May 2, 2014
458 posts
176 upvotes

Nissan key broke, can i clone it?

The top part of the key broke, preventing it from attaching it to a key ring.
I believe there is a chip in the key and therefore i cannot simply cut a key copy at the local hardware shop.
The car is a 10 year old nissan versa.

Any options for me? and expected cost? in Toronto?
3 replies
Nov 20, 2014
264 posts
79 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Sometimes in the key fobs is the actual chip for the car. See if you can just buy a replacement housing, and just take it apart then replace the insides with the working chip + key.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2941 posts
2348 upvotes
Markham
If its just the square Nissan key then its one of the less expensive part of the key to replace. Dealer IIRC officially would charge us $20-30 for one of those keys when Nissan didn't provide all the keys for our Frontiers, we send the bill back to Nissan. I don't recall if the Versa from 10 years ago had a different set of keys than the square key with the rectangle fob. The only other Nissan key fob from that time period was the oval key-less fob, the top of that was literally just the door key and that was also a pretty cheap part to get. Losing the actual fob is where the big expenses are going to occur, any key that needs reprogramming is where the dollar amount gets astronomical based on complexity.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
6558 posts
4092 upvotes
Toronto
Duct tape the top fob piece to new key copied from CT.