• Last Updated:
  • Apr 17th, 2013 3:54 pm
[OP]
Jul 2, 2005
361 posts
27 upvotes
Montreal

Nissan Leaf 2012 SV Incentives / Advice

I've been shopping for an electric car for quite some time, really hard to make a final decision on this but I've settled on the leaf since it fees like a real premium car.

So here's the order of my research so far:
  1. After driving the car, the dealer informed me that there's a 7000$ dealer incentive on the 2012 model. Also taking off 750$ + free cargo cover.
  2. I found this dealer in Montreal who's advertising 7500$ discount.
  3. edmonds.com is advertising a 10150$ dealer incentive, but that's in the US.
I haven't shopped for a new car in quite along time. Should the dealer incentive in the US match the one in Canada? I called the sales guy at #1 and told him about it, he said he'll get back to me -- but who can trust sales people. :D

My other question is, should I wait it out and go for the 2013 model? From edmonds.com I also saw they currently have a 7500$ lease incentive on the 2013 model, but that is set to end at the end of April. The problem is we don't have the 2013 models yet, and they're coming to Canada early this summer. Who knows if we'll have this kind of incentive.

All in all, I feel like it's a good price for what I'm getting, but since I'm an internet junkie, if I see the same discount on 2013 models when they come out I won't be happy :D
7 replies
[OP]
Jul 2, 2005
361 posts
27 upvotes
Montreal
Also, comparing the US prices form 2012 to 2013, the top model should be about 3000$ cheaper than the 2012. I am considering waiting for the 2013 (I'm not really in a hurry) - considering the charging time for the 2013 is cut in half -- this can be huge, as in waiting 3.5 hours for a full charge instead of 7 hours.

I'm really unsure what to do now, I know the 2013 is right around the corner...
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13096 posts
1912 upvotes
Toronto
Thats a pretty good deal, considering a $7k dealer incentive on top of the electric vehicle rebate program if true. The 2013 model however, looks a lot better with its darker interior.
Temp. Banned
Jun 18, 2008
5095 posts
4631 upvotes
Montreal
ruiner wrote: Also, comparing the US prices form 2012 to 2013, the top model should be about 3000$ cheaper than the 2012. I am considering waiting for the 2013 (I'm not really in a hurry) - considering the charging time for the 2013 is cut in half -- this can be huge, as in waiting 3.5 hours for a full charge instead of 7 hours.

I'm really unsure what to do now, I know the 2013 is right around the corner...
How about you save yourself $15,000 and just buy a 2013 Chevy Spark for $16,000 on the road and be done with it. Personally I find it totally absurd that the taxpayer subsidizes this ridiculous useless science project of electric cars that won't make one iota of difference to the "carbon footprint." Our government isn't in enough debt so let us give $8000 rebates to wealthy granola crunching consumers on $40,000 mini cars so they can impress their friends and neighbours.
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
21847 posts
161954 upvotes
GTA
Politics and environmental impact aside, I agree with the above in terms of electric vehicles not being a very smart purchase in terms of value. And if I REALLY thought an electric vehicle suited my needs, then I would be leasing vs. buying (as most people would for these types of niche cars). The longer you own this thing, the more you're going to have to fork out serious $$$ to fix and/or replace the battery and battery-related components. We don't have hard data like we do for hybrids, but even Nissan predicts that after 5 years, the battery only retains approximately 75% of its capacity. Why go with an unproven technology? I don't know about any others here, but when I plunk down $25K for a vehicle, I expect it to last at least 10 years (anything after that is a bonus). If one really wants to do the 'green' thing, the best bet at this point is a Prius (any model) because at least Toyota has over 10 years of proven reliability with their technology.
[OP]
Jul 2, 2005
361 posts
27 upvotes
Montreal
That's why I'm going for a 4 year lease. The reason I'm buying an electric car is to support the development of these cars. If nobody purchases them, technology will not advance. I'm in a situation where I can afford this car, my commute to work is around 10km each way - I can go to work and come back multiple times on a single charge. We already own a hybrid as our primary vehicle, this is a secondary vehicle. Not everything is about money or showing off to friends. With the discounts it makes it a very attractive option, and the milage cost is quite lower. You can quote a 15000$ car all you want, add in the options to make it a premium car like the Leaf and you'll end up with 20k for a low quality car like the Spark and you'll still need to fill up gas.
Temp. Banned
Jun 18, 2008
5095 posts
4631 upvotes
Montreal
ruiner wrote: That's why I'm going for a 4 year lease. The reason I'm buying an electric car is to support the development of these cars. If nobody purchases them, technology will not advance. I'm in a situation where I can afford this car, my commute to work is around 10km each way - I can go to work and come back multiple times on a single charge. We already own a hybrid as our primary vehicle, this is a secondary vehicle. Not everything is about money or showing off to friends. With the discounts it makes it a very attractive option, and the milage cost is quite lower. You can quote a 15000$ car all you want, add in the options to make it a premium car like the Leaf and you'll end up with 20k for a low quality car like the Spark and you'll still need to fill up gas.
The Leaf a premium car? I lol'ed. The gas for that Spark is essentially free for 8-10 years with the 15K you save. If you want to advance this science experiment you should be paying full price. Electric cars will be a 100% fail. Give it a few years. The tax payer should not be funding one cent of this. Other than the geek factor and to impress people there is no reason whatsoever for this car. But back on topic, I'd get the 2012 as they won't discount the 2013's until the end of the year or until the 2012's clear out first. Happy shopping. :)