• Last Updated:
  • Jul 12th, 2018 3:17 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2008
1543 posts
275 upvotes

Nissan leaf battery replacement

Has any rfd member who ha Nissan Leaf had to replace their Leaf battery? Just out of curiosity how much did is cost and can you upgrade to 30kwh if you had 24kwh
4 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2011
2500 posts
1649 upvotes
Toronto
I haven't replaced my battery yet and hope I won't have to for a while. But reading online, you can only replace your current battery with the same type ie. 30kWh = 30kWh. No upgrading from 24kWh to 30kWh. But it doesn't mean it can't be done.

You need to replace yours already?

I'm hoping the Nissan Canada will start offering refurbished batteries for the Leaf when I need to replace my batteries.
Up votes, down votes, they're all votes for me! I thank you!
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
4980 posts
2188 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Just asking out of curiosity: Are Leaf batteries crapping out that fast?
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6295 posts
1943 upvotes
BC
some1not wrote: ...... you can only replace your current battery with the same type ie. 30kWh = 30kWh. No upgrading from 24kWh to 30kWh. But it doesn't mean it can't be done.
Yes, the official word is like for like, but a few owners in the U.S. have reported getting an upgrade (under loss of range warranty) because that was all their particular dealer had available or access to.
But it does require additional parts and additional labour to put a 30kWh in a 24kWh car.
thriftshopper wrote: Just asking out of curiosity: Are Leaf batteries crapping out that fast?

General rule of batteries of any type: they are not all created equal.
Some Canadian owners have done over 200k kms before getting near what Nissan defines as replacement time (4 bars lost/or down to about 50% of original capacity).
Others will reach that point some 50k kms or more earlier with seemingly the same usage pattern and climate.

Even with that variability in battery longevity, the point at which the available range becomes unacceptable varies person to person.

Battery replacement is not necessarily the only solution. Dealerships are trained in replacing individual weak cells if tests show that to be the cause of range loss as opposed to general degradation.
However, the labour cost of doing a few cells soon adds up to where it doesn't make economic sense over a complete replacement.

Different story in southern states where battery replacements under warranty have been done at much lower miles (such as 60k kms. or less than 2 years) on model years as recent as 2016's.

Evidence suggests that incremental upgrades in the battery chemistry and size over the model years right up to the 2018's has not substantially changed the basic fact - Leaf battery life is not industry-leading.

Good reading material here.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2008
1543 posts
275 upvotes
some1not wrote:
You need to replace yours already?
No, still full bars .. I was just wondering regarding upgrade