• Last Updated:
  • Mar 20th, 2021 8:59 pm
[OP]
Jan 27, 2010
97 posts
5 upvotes

Nissan Qashqai as a replacement car

Hello friends

Looking for suggestions on the replacement of a Toyota matrix with a Nissan Qashqai. Want to be closer to the dimensions of matrix but would like to upgrade to an AWD which at a reasonable cost was seen only in the Qashqai (HRV is higher and C-HR does not seem to have AWD option) based on my research so far

Any thoughts on the Qashqai as a car and approximate price for SV-AWD model of Qashqai that would constitute a good deal

Thanks for the pointers
50 replies
Dec 4, 2017
319 posts
286 upvotes
I'd recommend Subaru Impreza hatchback or Subaru Crosstrek. You'll get a few features less than Nissan but Subaru will have higher future resale value. Subaru is full time AWD vs. Nissan's slip and grip approach.

All Nissan models/trims will have more feature for the dollar compared to Honda/Toyota equivalent, that's their sales strategy.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2632 posts
1879 upvotes
Markham
You're only looking at CUVs which is why your costs are so high(hint, no CUV is cheap), in the case of the CH-R its cargo capacity is a total joke, almost as bad as my sports car. If you were looking at regular hatchbacks with AWD you have a way better price.

For those wondering reference price on a Qashqai SV is $28K. Literally the best priced AWD car is going to come from Subaru. Either Impreza hatch or Crosstrek you get it as standard equipment even at base spec, Impreza starts at $20K and Crosstrek starts at $23K, also Subaru focuses the most on AWD so if that's what you want, you should seek them first. You can also get a Mazda 3 hatchback with AWD, although that sits at $29K but is actually slightly larger than a Qashqai considerably more powerful, more fuel efficient(slightly) and way nicer inside.

I personally don't like the Qashqai very much, its actually older than people here realize. The design we have is a 2013 design even though Nissan only started importing these to Canada in 2017. Handling is actually ok for a CUV surprisingly, although I didn't like its loose steering, and the interior is a total let down unless you go for SL trim.
[OP]
Jan 27, 2010
97 posts
5 upvotes
Thanks for the valuable inputs

Was going for the Nissan Qashqai based off the similarity in dimensions with the matrix as wife is only comfortable with similar construct as matrix

Had not checked the Subaru yet but will surely check it out. The Nissan was alright from a size and familiarity perspective hence one of the better bets for us right now

Thanks
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
1781 posts
883 upvotes
Alberta
incanada wrote: Thanks for the valuable inputs

Was going for the Nissan Qashqai based off the similarity in dimensions with the matrix as wife is only comfortable with similar construct as matrix

Had not checked the Subaru yet but will surely check it out. The Nissan was alright from a size and familiarity perspective hence one of the better bets for us right now

Thanks
My wife drives a Pontiac Vibe (Matrix clone) and a comparable car to that would be something like a Mazda CX30 or a Hyundai Kona, both have AWD. I had a Crosstrek as well and loved it, my wife tried it, it's a bit bigger than the Vibe, taller, bigger wheels, longer. Originally she was going to get the Crosstrek after I drove it for a few years, but the Vibe is still going strong, and we wanted a bigger car so we traded for a Forester. I test drove a Qashqai in 2018 before getting a Crosstrek, didn't like it at all, acceleration was non-existent, maybe it's changed.

Definitely have a look a Subaru. If you don't mind the Korean brands, a few new entries carry AWD and compact size. Also Chevy Trailbrazer is a small compact CUV in the same market as Qashqai. Here is an image of one, as they are WAY different than previous Trailblazers and might be ignored by those who haven't seen it

May 3, 2010
190 posts
68 upvotes
Brampton
I don't mind Qashqai. It is great car. If you can wait little longer, Volkswagen Taos is making entry. You are gonna like it. It is more like subcompact to compact. Look like subcompact but has compact flexibility and leg room. And also very fun and newly fuel efficient to drive.

Qashqai is very gas guzzler and also too slow. Tried that car for few days. Missed my jetta big time in terms of powers and fuel efficiency.
Nov 13, 2016
517 posts
302 upvotes
incanada wrote: Hello friends

Looking for suggestions on the replacement of a Toyota matrix with a Nissan Qashqai. Want to be closer to the dimensions of matrix but would like to upgrade to an AWD which at a reasonable cost was seen only in the Qashqai (HRV is higher and C-HR does not seem to have AWD option) based on my research so far

Any thoughts on the Qashqai as a car and approximate price for SV-AWD model of Qashqai that would constitute a good deal

Thanks for the pointers
What is your rationale to want an AWD in a small car/CUV? Do you off-road often? Or you want better handling during winter driving? Wouldn't winter tires help you more than AWD?

I am only suggesting so you have more options to select from.

CD
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
9541 posts
3817 upvotes
Canadadesi wrote: What is your rationale to want an AWD in a small car/CUV? Do you off-road often? Or you want better handling during winter driving? Wouldn't winter tires help you more than AWD?

I am only suggesting so you have more options to select from.

CD
Why do you think they are choosing AWD so they don't need to use winter tires?

Maybe they want AWD and still plan to use winter tires?
[OP]
Jan 27, 2010
97 posts
5 upvotes
Qashqai offered more similarities to the existing Matrix hence the small insistence on the same. Checked the crosstrek and pricing wise it was around similar range comparing with similar options (trim as well as AWD option)
The work program allows some predefined pricing for Nissan hence trying to see if I can leverage the same. The test drive with Qashqai did show a bit of a drag in picking up speed but not one of the prime factors at this stage
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
5404 posts
2935 upvotes
Toronto
Looked at Nissan Qashqai and Toyota Corolla Hatchback(matrix/im/auris) went with the toyota because of looks and fuel economy but mainly because Carlos Ghosn was a moron at that time, hiding in boxes and all the non sense.
Jul 29, 2019
470 posts
316 upvotes
Be aware of a new remodel Qashqai as such you could find greater value in terms of negotiations with the dealers if you are willing to wait but the announcement is expected Spring 2021.

I have also done something similar where I was looking for a sub-compact SUV with AWD and I found the Subaru Crosstrek Convenience trim with Eyesight was the best bang for the buck. If you can drive manual then the price is lower but none of the manual version comes with Eyesight. One of the things I was looking for was standard safety features which the Crosstrek had more than Nissan. The Crosstrek is essentially a lifted Impreza Hatchback so if you don't want the spend the extra money you can go with an Impreza. All Subaru vehicles are a beast with Winter Tires so, despite the Impreza having lower ground clearance, it can get you driving through snow. FYI, I have a 2020 Crosstrek Convenience with Eyesight.
Oct 21, 2006
635 posts
396 upvotes
the mazda 3 hatch can be equipped with awd, it's 6spd automatic which is a plus.
Dec 30, 2019
89 posts
49 upvotes
I don't have any first hand experience with the Qashqai but they seem to be a good deal and a nice design over all. I don't think you will find much positive feedback here as Nissan has had trouble with their CVT transmission reliability over the years.

Subaru Impreza is worth a look, very practical, fuel efficient and a good value. It also offers a manual gear box if you're a fan. Mazda CX3 is worth a look too.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
1781 posts
883 upvotes
Alberta
Canadadesi wrote: What is your rationale to want an AWD in a small car/CUV? Do you off-road often? Or you want better handling during winter driving? Wouldn't winter tires help you more than AWD?
Don't know about OP, but my wife has the Pontiac Vibe AWD, I bought AWD for a purpose, and that purpose is to never have to hear a call from my wife telling me she it stuck somewhere. Hers is equipped with winter tires. AWD + Winter Tires is better than FWD + Winter Tires, regardless of any argument. This little Vibe is a tank. Subaru with Winter Tires is a tank on steroids.

@VanillaDonut mentioned EyeSight and that is another extra reason I was planning on getting the Crosstrek to my wife down the line. The system works great and is one of the best on the market. Had it in my 2018 Crosstrek and have it in my 2020 Forester. Don't know how standard the system is for Nissan, it did well in the video below, but they are not all created equally. This video is kind of funny....don't get a Ford/Kia/Hyundai haha. Given that you are looking for the wife, and if you are anything like me, you may want to take the extra safety systems into account.

Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
1781 posts
883 upvotes
Alberta
Macfuzza wrote: Subaru Impreza is worth a look, very practical, fuel efficient and a good value. It also offers a manual gear box if you're a fan. Mazda CX3 is worth a look too.
Saw CX3 mentioned a few times, but no-one seems to mention CX30. CX30 is slightly bigger, believe CX3 is subcompact and CX30 is a compact. I test drove the CX30, it's more like the Matrix/Vibe. Seems like they did poor job advertising this as I had no clue myself until I went in and test drove one.

"The CX-30 is larger and more modern than the CX-3. While the CX-30 represents Mazda’s future, the CX-3 represents its past, and it’s one of the older vehicles in the company’s lineup at this point."

Apr 8, 2020
414 posts
191 upvotes
OP which version did you have 1 or 2 , the 1st was the best corolla ever made , the new corolla hatchback is a joke if you need any room/trunk
the CX3 is also on the small side
BTW going from the most reliable car on this planet Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes to Nissan ? - thought
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
8973 posts
3336 upvotes
Mississauga
JeganV wrote: ...You can also get a Mazda 3 hatchback with AWD, although that sits at $29K but is actually slightly larger than a Qashqai considerably more powerful, more fuel efficient(slightly) and way nicer inside.
Are you sure? I think the Qashqai is wider and taller (granted it sits higher by a little more than an inch, but is taller by more than 10cm), but also has more legroom and headroom inside. So sizewise, I would say the Qashqai is larger. Mazda 3 is definitely a better overall vehicle, but is more sporty and less CUV'y. However, since OP is coming from a Matrix, which is hatch, I agree the Mazda 3 hatch or Imprezza hatch are more suitable options. But they won't feel the same...they will be way better than the Matrix. Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2632 posts
1879 upvotes
Markham
kenchau wrote: Are you sure? I think the Qashqai is wider and taller (granted it sits higher by a little more than an inch, but is taller by more than 10cm), but also has more legroom and headroom inside. So sizewise, I would say the Qashqai is larger. Mazda 3 is definitely a better overall vehicle, but is more sporty and less CUV'y. However, since OP is coming from a Matrix, which is hatch, I agree the Mazda 3 hatch or Imprezza hatch are more suitable options. But they won't feel the same...they will be way better than the Matrix. Face With Tears Of Joy
I skip height especially comparing CUV to a car as a given, if the CUV is shorter than the car...its literally pointless and just a marketing exercise to rip off customers on a hatchback...which is what a Mercedes GLA was. Width, the Qashqai and Mazda 3 are off by an extremely small amount that effectively they're the same, all small cars are getting wider and wider. Its the length the Qashqai actually loses, Mazda 3 hatch surprisingly is slightly longer. I was going by dimensions and how it one would feel switching between cars, if its a question of interior room, the Impreza is really good here and Mazda is typically bad on average.
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2007
1549 posts
419 upvotes
Vancouver
Macfuzza wrote: I don't think you will find much positive feedback here as Nissan has had trouble with their CVT transmission reliability over the years.
My wife drives a 2015 Nissan Juke FWD CVT bought new. Almost 6 years old and absolutely trouble free just doing oil and filter changes every 6 months and CVT fluid drain and fill at 50K.