Off Topic Archive

Locked: No-contact order with girlfriend keeps Edmonton man out of his own house

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 3rd, 2009 11:25 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 6, 2006
6014 posts
9 upvotes

No-contact order with girlfriend keeps Edmonton man out of his own house

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2...32701-sun.html

[QUOTE]'Squatter' forces man out of home
No-contact order with girlfriend keeps man out of his own house

By TONY BLAIS, SUN MEDIA
The Edmonton Sun

EDMONTON -- In a bizarre case before the courts, an Edmonton man has been forbidden from going to his own home while his girlfriend - whom he has told to get out - is still living there.

Todd Shandro, 36, went before a judge yesterday to try to resolve the situation, but he was told there were jurisdictional issues and he has to take the matter to civil court.

"It's very sick what is happening here," said a frustrated Shandro. "I am the sole owner of the house. The mortgage and title are in my name and she is essentially a squatter.

"It's ridiculous. The system doesn't seem to be working here and she is bending the law to her own advantage."

NO OVERLAP

The problem appears to be there is no overlap between civil matters such as land titles and home ownership and criminal matters where no-contact orders are issued.

Court heard yesterday that Shandro is charged with two counts of assault, one against the ex-girlfriend and one against her mother.

After his arrest, a justice of the peace released Shandro on $500 bail and issued a no-contact order barring him from going within five blocks of his home near 102 Street and 113 Avenue.

The JP also ordered that Shandro could revisit the residence issue by bringing his ownership documents to court.

However, Shandro has twice appeared before a judge to amend the bail conditions, with both a lawyer and the documents showing he owns the home, but to no avail.

And the same thing happened again yesterday.

"All we want is to amend the bail conditions so I can live in my own home," said Shandro.

Court heard Shandro and his ex had been dating for more than a year when he invited her to move in to the home on a "trial" basis approximately eight months ago.

In October, Shandro realized he wanted to end the relationship with his girlfriend and asked her to leave, said defence lawyer Chady Moustarah.

"She said 'no, I'm not leaving', " said Moustarah, adding Shandro repeatedly tried to get her to leave.

On Dec. 5 he came home from work and found both his ex and her mother there and asked them both to leave. When they refused, he went to a pub and had a couple of drinks, said Moustarah.

ALLEGED ASSAULT

He returned and again asked them to go and the mother told him to go to the bedroom and lie down.

He again left, but quickly returned and demanded they leave, which is when the assault allegedly happened, said Moustarah.

He told the judge the ex-girlfriend says she is fearful of Shandro, but questioned why she is then staying at his house.

"It doesn't make sense," said Moustarah. "Essentially she is a squatter. She is trespassing."

The Crown told court the girlfriend has been paying bills and said she wants to remain in the home because she has two children and they go to a nearby elementary school.

Justice Stephen Hillier ruled the matter should go to civil court and adjourned the bail review to March 2.[/QUOTE]
"When the common good of a society is regarded as something apart from and superior to the individual good of its members, it means that the good of some men takes precedence over the good of others, with those others consigned to the status of sacrificial animals." -- Ayn Rand

Every facet, every deposit of your mind is to be programmed by you; and unless you assume your rightful responsibility and begin to program your own mind, the world will program it for you.
Share:
79 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2008
4773 posts
40 upvotes
Dumb laws are dumb
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2003
15541 posts
973 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Just another possible consequence of playing house without benefit of a piece of paper... He's not the first person, or last for that matter to go through this typw of scenario...
Thinking seriously about the 4 S's...Sun, Sand, Surf and ... Booked for Sept in Mexico and booked Samana DR for Jan!
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2008
1281 posts
39 upvotes
Langley
As it is in the court records that he asked her to get out could he contact the police and get her removed for trespassing or has she been there long enough to have a claim on the place.
Banned
May 5, 2005
13286 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto, Canada
That's eerily similar to my own brother's situation. We know the gf is nothing but an opportunist. This is why guys who have a little money in the bank should be weary of too willing, too pleasing and generally too placating type of girls.
Joe Zawinul
1932 - 2007
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2006
7601 posts
389 upvotes
Scarborough
[quote]These [squatters rights] can vary from town to town, and are critical unless you plan on living down there 12 months of the year. Did you know, that in some jurisdictions, that squatters can lay claim to your land or house, in very short time if you haven
Deal Fanatic
Feb 25, 2004
5655 posts
149 upvotes
New Westminster
well, Todd owns the house and he can decide if he wants to let his "best friend" and 12 of his biker buddies live there ... oh, is somebody else already there? ah well, I guess they will have to "share" ... wonder who will move out first.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 6, 2006
6014 posts
9 upvotes
I am surprised nobody else made mention of such an idea yet CS

Good one :)
"When the common good of a society is regarded as something apart from and superior to the individual good of its members, it means that the good of some men takes precedence over the good of others, with those others consigned to the status of sacrificial animals." -- Ayn Rand

Every facet, every deposit of your mind is to be programmed by you; and unless you assume your rightful responsibility and begin to program your own mind, the world will program it for you.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2005
2193 posts
71 upvotes
Toronto
I wouldn't be surprised if they decide that the woman can keep the house "for the benefit of the children". Disgusting.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2008
1571 posts
234 upvotes
CSK'sMom wrote:
Feb 11th, 2009 9:26 pm
Just another possible consequence of playing house without benefit of a piece of paper... He's not the first person, or last for that matter to go through this typw of scenario...
Yeah, when the **** hits the fan I guess it's better to at least be in a legally well-defined situation.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2006
7601 posts
389 upvotes
Scarborough
Since HE pays for all utils, I'd contact cable/phone/elec/water/gas and have EVERYTHING turned off untill they g/f leaves.

With out elec/water/gas that'll be what? a day at the most... she'll ***** about being cold *LOL*
Deal Fanatic
Apr 6, 2003
8454 posts
15 upvotes
_Allan_ wrote:
Feb 12th, 2009 1:44 am
Since HE pays for all utils, I'd contact cable/phone/elec/water/gas and have EVERYTHING turned off untill they g/f leaves.

With out elec/water/gas that'll be what? a day at the most... she'll ***** about being cold *LOL*
the article says SHE is paying the bills
People who are in my gang: Nikita, Spidey, weedb0y, jcoltage, deep, pitz, Sylvestre, Icedawn, 3weddings, Ambermoon, CSK'sMom, jazzsax, bokep, matdwyer, Dash, KorruptioN, angekfire, sxz, WontonTiger, YYZFA, king_george, 45ED, sxz, Ojam

*WE GONNA GIT YOU!
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2008
1231 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
CheapScotsman wrote:
Feb 11th, 2009 11:40 pm
well, Todd owns the house and he can decide if he wants to let his "best friend" and 12 of his biker buddies live there ... oh, is somebody else already there? ah well, I guess they will have to "share" ... wonder who will move out first.
:twisted:
Banned
Jul 31, 2008
1423 posts
21 upvotes
Sucks for him. Some of these laws are absolutely ludicrous.
Q9550@3.4ghz | P5Q Pro | 4GB OCZ Reaper | Sapphire 4870 HD 1gb | Corsair 750TX | CM 690
Banned
Nov 13, 2008
598 posts
she could always suffer an accident when going to the grocery store.