• Last Updated:
  • May 31st, 2019 7:31 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2009
1662 posts
1339 upvotes

no deal

As per one forum user this is not a good deal, at least for some people.
Images
  • apuma.png
Last edited by smackioio on May 31st, 2019 7:31 pm, edited 5 times in total.
11 replies
May 1, 2019
285 posts
609 upvotes
Smithers, BC
Return Policy and Instructions
PUMA.com is committed to your happiness. We want you to be as pleased with your purchase as we are in serving you. You may return any PUMA products in their original, unused condition for a full refund of the merchandise value. We will gladly accept your return within 45 days of your order date.

Please follow the instructions found on the back of the packing slip to return an item. Returns generally take 3-5 weeks to process.

Does this mean buyer pays return shipping? I can't tell.
May 1, 2019
285 posts
609 upvotes
Smithers, BC
I live remotely. I don't have the option of returning to store. :)
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
11959 posts
2463 upvotes
smackioio wrote: No, you can always return the items at Vaughan Mills (for GTA) for example. Done it twice and actually ended up with more $ in my account due to the CAD/USD exchange rate :) . There is no shipping fee so you don't lose anything when returning in store
But what about the duties and taxes you paid? Do you get refunded for that?

Until Puma actually makes a REAL Canadian site that doesn't charge duty, I refuse to buy anything from them their fake ".ca" site. There's absolutely no reason to buy from the website and pay the 18% duties when there are plenty of stores in Canada (and Canadian websites) that carry Pumas where the Canadian price is roughly the conversion price without any added duties.

Also their sales section is weak. No RS-X, Clydes or Uproars.
Oct 12, 2015
333 posts
353 upvotes
Ottawa
joeyjoejoe wrote: Until Puma actually makes a REAL Canadian site that doesn't charge duty, I refuse to buy anything from them their fake ".ca" site.
THIS - I am at the mercy of my credit card for exchange rate and the courier/CBA for duty.

The entire shopping experience and transaction is fake news.
Nov 6, 2017
121 posts
38 upvotes
Vancouver
smackioio wrote: Sorry, I tend to disagree. Did you ever visit those stores you are talking about (in Canada) ? Their prices are way over the ones on puma.ca (including USD-CAD conversion and taxes). You will never find a good price in the stores (in Canada). And by the way, the duties they charge you are the regular duties for shoe products, so that applies to any person/company selling/importing shoes, whether it's Adidas or Puma or Nike or any other brand. Just that some brands hide that in the base price and you only see taxes (HST) at the checkout. I don't see a difference between hiding the duties in the base price or showing it upfront.

You can use a duty calculator or the official tariffs (https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/trade-comme ... 13-eng.pdf) and you'll see the same numbers (16-18%) so that is a normal way of doing things. Same applies when you buy from Amazon.com where you pay in USD and you are charged taxes and shipping and duties for products shipped to Canada. And even then most items are cheaper to be bought on Amazon.com rather than using Amazon.ca or going to a local store that sells the same thing for 200% the amazon.com price)
I gotta have different opinion. I compared Adidas Canada and US website and the prices including USD-CAD conversion on both sites are the same. If Adidas charges duties, the price on Canada website would be higher than the one on the US website. So I don't think other sports companies except Puma charge duties.
Jan 13, 2012
429 posts
466 upvotes
Vancouver
smackioio wrote: True , in some cases, but not sure if you know how manufacturers (or at least some of them) are doing business here in Canada. And when I say that I'm pointing to a gray area. Most US companies that sell stuff in Canada simply setup a warehouse close to the border and "somehow-mysteriously" ship/fill the stock over the border with tons of items. That means whenever your item is ordered (In Canada), you are receiving the item from a Canadian Warehouse so no need to do the duty thing (just tax). I heard about this process years ago and I can even tell you that most of the time that shipper address on the package you receive does not even list the manufacturer (like Adidas or Lancome or Vichy or whatever the brand is) . I think a lot of these companies are taking advantage of the classical and renowned poor legislation we have in Canada to get items over the border in a not so legal fashion let's say.

But yes, I do agree with you on this one, some brands know how to avoid duties better than others. I still think the prices online are better than in store though and some of the items can only be found online only. It's also true that some items are maybe only found in store and not online :)
I find ship to store (for retailers that use this model) means that I never pay tax or duties, and the online prices are typically far better than in store. Of course if you aren't close to one of their retail locations, this doesn't work.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
11959 posts
2463 upvotes
smackioio wrote: Sorry, I tend to disagree. Did you ever visit those stores you are talking about (in Canada) ? Their prices are way over the ones on puma.ca (including USD-CAD conversion and taxes). You will never find a good price in the stores (in Canada). And by the way, the duties they charge you are the regular duties for shoe products, so that applies to any person/company selling/importing shoes, whether it's Adidas or Puma or Nike or any other brand. Just that some brands hide that in the base price and you only see taxes (HST) at the checkout. I don't see a difference between hiding the duties in the base price or showing it upfront.

You can use a duty calculator or the official tariffs (https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/trade-comme ... 13-eng.pdf) and you'll see the same numbers (16-18%) so that is a normal way of doing things. Same applies when you buy from Amazon.com where you pay in USD and you are charged taxes and shipping and duties for products shipped to Canada. And even then most items are cheaper to be bought on Amazon.com rather than using Amazon.ca or going to a local store that sells the same thing for 200% the amazon.com price)
Do you ever visit the stores? You really have no clue. Here's proof:

Puma's "Canadian" site sells the RS-X for $110 USD regular price. That's $148 CAD (and roughly $194.84 with taxes and duty).
https://ca.puma.com/en/ca/pd/rs-x-fourt ... osa%20Pine

Meanwhile the exact same shoe in Canada is $140 CAD regular price ($158.20 CAD after taxes). Footlocker doesn't have any special pricing either. It's the same price at other sporting sneaker shops and boutiques.
https://www.footlocker.ca/product/puma- ... 06560.html

Some shoes have a favorable conversion, some not so much... but NONE of them have an 18% premium that covers the duty.

This type of pricing is the same for all sneaker brands that have an actual Canadian site. Take a look at Nike.ca vs Nike.com or adidas.ca vs adidas.com. The pricing difference is the conversion of the dollar value only.
Nov 6, 2017
121 posts
38 upvotes
Vancouver
smackioio wrote: True , in some cases, but not sure if you know how manufacturers (or at least some of them) are doing business here in Canada. And when I say that I'm pointing to a gray area. Most US companies that sell stuff in Canada simply setup a warehouse close to the border and "somehow-mysteriously" ship/fill the stock over the border with tons of items. That means whenever your item is ordered (In Canada), you are receiving the item from a Canadian Warehouse so no need to do the duty thing (just tax). I heard about this process years ago and I can even tell you that most of the time that shipper address on the package you receive does not even list the manufacturer (like Adidas or Lancome or Vichy or whatever the brand is) . I think a lot of these companies are taking advantage of the classical and renowned poor legislation we have in Canada to get items over the border in a not so legal fashion let's say.

But yes, I do agree with you on this one, some brands know how to avoid duties better than others. I still think the prices online are better than in store though and some of the items can only be found online only. It's also true that some items are maybe only found in store and not online :)
Thank you for your explanation. It makes sense
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
11959 posts
2463 upvotes
smackioio wrote: One shouldn't discuss individual cases, I can easily find examples that favor my theory as well. What I was saying is an overall picture of the in store vs online.
Then post one that isn't from Puma.ca. You won't find one. I already challenged you to find one in Nike.ca or adidas.ca. Add in NewBalance.ca and Saucony.ca. Between those 4 companies, they make up the vast majority of sneaker sales. Look at Canadian sport shops like Footlocker, Champs, Footaction or the boutiques like SSense, Livestock, Capsule, etc.

I'm a sneakerhead. I know plenty about sneaker pricing in Canada and the US. Not just high end or hyped sneakers, but the general releases and low end sneakers too. What you are saying is completely wrong and not what the norm is in Canada. The simple fact is Puma.ca is an american website that ships to Canada. Canadian websites and Canadian stores sells sneakers at roughly the equivalent dollar of the US and not with some additional hidden 18% duties. Stop spreading false information.