Laval

No deal on top soil yet?

Don't see any deals on top soil yet?
14 replies
Apr 19, 2018
251 posts
67 upvotes
Scarborough
Cheap top soil has weeds typically. Stick to Fairgreen Sod and other similar companies.
Don't worry be happy - Bob
Sep 7, 2018
890 posts
910 upvotes
Home depot had it last week, and superstore a couple weeks ago, there will be more
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15949 posts
13195 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
A lot depends on how much you need
Buying by the bag is only good ... up to a point
Then it’s best bought by the Cu Yard

Google to find Garden Centres or Soil Dealers near you
The DIY Big Box Stores (Home Depot, Lowe’s, Costco etc ) also sell
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/yard-t ... 1001004761

If it’s just for small jobs ... top dressing etc
Then here’s a hint ... buy the bags in the Autumn when everyone is clearing them out
As no one wants to store them
Often you’ll find them at $ 1.00 or less
Over winter then outdoors In your backyard
And then you’ll be ready to go come Spring
Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Penalty Box
Oct 13, 2008
4729 posts
1695 upvotes
Don't give crap now.

Its going to be a trade off ... money vs time ... and that minute savings is not worth it compared to wasting time and gas in the lineups for curbside pickups at Rona, Lowes, Home Depot, etc.

Just picked up my bags this morning from Home Depot ... 7am and still waited 20+ minutes to have the bags loaded into my car.

Only picked up 13 bags ... 4 bags of Triple Mix + 2 bags of Cow Manure + 7 Bags of Top Soil ... enough for me to get the soil mixture done in my garden and enough for me to get the overseeding going (still had 3 bags of Top Soil from last year sitting in my garage).
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
8304 posts
1229 upvotes
TO
AV-Fishing wrote: Don't give crap now.

Its going to be a trade off ... money vs time ... and that minute savings is not worth it compared to wasting time and gas in the lineups for curbside pickups at Rona, Lowes, Home Depot, etc.

Just picked up my bags this morning from Home Depot ... 7am and still waited 20+ minutes to have the bags loaded into my car.

Only picked up 13 bags ... 4 bags of Triple Mix + 2 bags of Cow Manure + 7 Bags of Top Soil ... enough for me to get the soil mixture done in my garden and enough for me to get the overseeding going (still had 3 bags of Top Soil from last year sitting in my garage).
That;s my concern of lineups at these big stores.

QQ: do you mix all of the above up to top dress your bare spots on grass or pretty much layer it on top of entire sod?
Achieva Financial /KOHO / STACK (0% FX Fee) /Tangerine / EQ Bank member / I use Plastiq for paying bills with my CC

"You can't soar with the eagles if you're hanging with the turkeys - Gary Kent
Penalty Box
Oct 13, 2008
4729 posts
1695 upvotes
TorontoEh wrote: That;s my concern of lineups at these big stores.

QQ: do you mix all of the above up to top dress your bare spots on grass or pretty much layer it on top of entire sod?
Triple mix w cow manure mixed with coffee grinds, egg shells for the garden.

Top soil is for the lawn. Do in sections. Seed. Top soil. Then seed on top of the top soil.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
12008 posts
8699 upvotes
GTA, ON
With my only income being from CERB at the moment, I may just let the grass do it's own thing this year. But to answer OPs question, I believe we'll probably start seeing sales start as garden centres begin to get the okay to open. I just imagine all the sales will be delayed this year.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2006
5111 posts
1457 upvotes
Toronto
PointsHubby wrote: A lot depends on how much you need
Buying by the bag is only good ... up to a point
Then it’s best bought by the Cu Yard

Google to find Garden Centres or Soil Dealers near you
The DIY Big Box Stores (Home Depot, Lowe’s, Costco etc ) also sell
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/yard-t ... 1001004761

If it’s just for small jobs ... top dressing etc
Then here’s a hint ... buy the bags in the Autumn when everyone is clearing them out
As no one wants to store them
Often you’ll find them at $ 1.00 or less
Over winter then outdoors In your backyard
And then you’ll be ready to go come Spring
Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Actually, how much is there in a cubic yard? I thought it's supposed to be ~765 Litres. Which would be same as 38 bags of typical cheap 20L bagged top soil. I have like 35 bags sitting in my backyard right now and they look no where near the size of the cubic yard delivery bag I see around. Perhaps just the bags have the soil really compacted? or my math wrong?
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15949 posts
13195 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
boyohboy wrote: Actually, how much is there in a cubic yard? I thought it's supposed to be ~765 Litres. Which would be same as 38 bags of typical cheap 20L bagged top soil. I have like 35 bags sitting in my backyard right now and they look no where near the size of the cubic yard delivery bag I see around. Perhaps just the bags have the soil really compacted? or my math wrong?
Your math is about right.

But ya, the Garden Centre bags can be really compacted ... or even compressed.

If the latter, When you cut into them, they’ll sort of explode outwards on you.

Anyhow, we don’t buy or need anywhere near a cubic yard ... I just put it out there ... if you were in need of a lot of soil.

Personally, our needs are met thru a combo of single bags or compressed value bags (4 x 28 Litres = 4 Cubic Feet) of various items for Different jobs around the yard / garden. Top Soil / Black Earth for some things, and then some Pro Mix All Purpose, Veggies & Herbs, and Organic Moisture Mix as top dressing in the raised planters & various containers.

Being far more specialized in our gardening needs (which ramps up costs), we try to nail down our Top Soil requirements in the Fall, when places are clearing out stock, so as to save money we would otherwise have to spend on them come Spring
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2006
5111 posts
1457 upvotes
Toronto
PointsHubby wrote: Your math is about right.

But ya, the Garden Centre bags can be really compacted ... or even compressed.

If the latter, When you cut into them, they’ll sort of explode outwards on you.

Anyhow, we don’t buy or need anywhere near a cubic yard ... I just put it out there ... if you were in need of a lot of soil.

Personally, our needs are met thru a combo of single bags or compressed value bags (4 x 28 Litres = 4 Cubic Feet) of various items for Different jobs around the yard / garden. Top Soil / Black Earth for some things, and then some Pro Mix All Purpose, Veggies & Herbs, and Organic Moisture Mix as top dressing in the raised planters & various containers.

Being far more specialized in our gardening needs (which ramps up costs), we try to nail down our Top Soil requirements in the Fall, when places are clearing out stock, so as to save money we would otherwise have to spend on them come Spring
I do have a pretty big yard and need a lot of soil to fix up the lawn. Been thinking about these cu.yard delivery option, but seems quite expensive if my math above is indeed correct. One cu.yard is $160, and that's 38 bags x 20L. So it's same as buying 20L bags at over $4.2 each! That's alot compare to the $1 ones , or even $2, every big box store offers. Is there any other pros aside from being more convenient for topsoil by cu.yard?
Jan 14, 2008
470 posts
262 upvotes
Toronto
Usually the big box stores have a sale for the may long weekend... Many refer to it as the gardening weekend, and is usually a safe time without any chance of frost.. so yes thats the weekend i would see deals come up for soil, mulch and gardening stuff...
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
1200 posts
194 upvotes
Medicine Hat and SW …
Last spring I discovered a local gravel yard sells a variety of top soil by weight. I choose top soil mixed with manure and hauled 4 pickup loads @ about 2000lbs each into my backyard and it made for a very nice weedless lawn. I shudder to think what that would have cost if buying by the bag!
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2019
1371 posts
1495 upvotes
Do you guys usually spread top soil over most of the grass or just patchy parts?