Real Estate

No doubt this year house price will rise. But the question is how much?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 11th, 2019 10:43 am
Jul 25, 2015
633 posts
310 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
BiegeToyota wrote: I know there is no more cheap labor in China. For years Cambodians are doing hard labor (mostly condo/Mall construction) in Thailand because no Thai wants to do this for a minimum wage. We are talking economic migrants from a third world moving to third world, lol.

The problem is Canada can't hire Cambodians. So, we are stuck with unions again and they ain't getting cheaper. My wife's family are in the process of building a few houses. $1000 per square meter. $1000 per square meter I'm the middle of nowhere 600km from Bangkok. Deep in the fields of durians and coconuts. The nearest 7/11 is 10km away. This is a third world country people where labor is supposed to be cheap as chips.

Again, $1000 per square meter, land NOT included.

The only problem is we p off Chinese with that Huawei debacle. I wonder how resilient they will be investing.
That's like $93 per sq foot, cheap compared to $$$$ per sq foot in Canada.
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2016
3581 posts
3071 upvotes
Piklishi wrote: That's like $93 per sq foot, cheap compared to $$$$ per sq foot in Canada.
Perhaps you missed the part where I said no land included and it's in the middle of nowhere?

I can buy a bigger house in Moncton for the same amount of money - with a piece of land to boot.
Jul 25, 2015
633 posts
310 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
BiegeToyota wrote: Perhaps you missed the part where I said no land included and it's in the middle of nowhere?

I can buy a bigger house in Moncton for the same amount of money - with a piece of land to boot.
Yeah its expensive, on the bright side Cambodian weather is much better than Moncton though.Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Deal Guru
Feb 29, 2008
12658 posts
7898 upvotes
Life is funny. Buy clothing, electronics, and every other product under the sun from China in order to get the cheapest prices. Then get priced out of your homes by the Chinese. I don't blame them one bit. People are just so simple minded.

*buys $1200 made in China parka*
*cries about wealthy Chinese immigrants*
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
34490 posts
4039 upvotes
Winnipeg
JayLove06 wrote: Life is funny. Buy clothing, electronics, and every other product under the sun from China in order to get the cheapest prices. Then get priced out of your homes by the Chinese. I don't blame them one bit. People are just so simple minded.

*buys $1200 made in China parka*
*cries about wealthy Chinese immigrants*
RE is not controlled by the Chinese, they are what, 1% of the market here?
Deal Guru
Feb 29, 2008
12658 posts
7898 upvotes
divx wrote: RE is not controlled by the Chinese, they are what, 1% of the market here?
Hey, do you see me complaining about the Chinese? I’m just running with the boogeyman crap the media has perpetuated and has been drummedbinto people’s heads. There is no doubt China’s rise in such a short time period has been exceptional.

My thing is the media does a good job of stoking the flames with each article about overseas Chinese investors. People see rich Chinese here and assume they are immigrants or they bought with dirty money.

Completely ignoring the fact that most investors are not foreigners. They are Canadian. People are just mad they can’t buy and the easiest target are the Chinese and drug money.

I watch plenty of bear YouTube videos and it is nothing but crying about the Chinese as the crybaby’s entire wardrobe including phone and computer is made in China. I just find it hilariously ironic.

People always need an enemy.

PS I think that number is higher.
Last edited by JayLove06 on Mar 9th, 2019 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Feb 29, 2008
12658 posts
7898 upvotes
Raising rates, stress test and rent controls just made things harder on average Joe Canadian and had no effect on the foreign buyer. So essentially Canadian residents got penalized for foreign ownership. That is quite funny.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
1711 posts
274 upvotes
Toronto
BiegeToyota wrote: Perhaps you missed the part where I said no land included and it's in the middle of nowhere?

$93 per square foot is super cheap even if it doesn’t include land. I’d easily expect $200+ per sq ft to build a half decent home in the GTA plus the price of land.
Jul 25, 2008
400 posts
274 upvotes
ottawa
JayLove06 wrote: Raising rates, stress test and rent controls just made things harder on average Joe Canadian and had no effect on the foreign buyer. So essentially Canadian residents got penalized for foreign ownership. That is quite funny.
I don't understand why the average Joe Canadian on RFD seems desperate to rack up as much debt as they can.

Foreign ownership was never the main problem, but BCs vacancy tax and the associated declaration forms seem to be a good idea to resolve some of the issues there. Foreigners, of course, are a useful scapegoat for persons of a certain moral character.