Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
No Frills

$0.88 Maple Lodge or Zabiha Halal lean ground chicken 1lb tube -Ontario

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 15th, 2020 6:06 am
49 replies
Jul 11, 2017
581 posts
599 upvotes
I love the deal on this one!

I will say it is not as nice as fresh obviously, but for the price, I am more than happy! It was soooo much better when the $1.00 ANY Zabiha Halal Coupon was out, I would pick up tubes of ground chicken for literally nothing! But sadly that coupon expired a little while ago (maybe a new one will come out eventually????)
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2003
5335 posts
3149 upvotes
A Place to Stand
If you've never had this stuff, be VERY cautious about what your expectations are. In a word, it's gross. So gross. It's not the consistency you think of when you think of ground chicken. It's like poultry slurry. I bought a bunch a long time ago when they were on sale for around the same price, and had a hard time getting through them. Still some buried in my freezer for the apocalypse, cannot think of another reason to cook these other than zombies. If you think these are just the trays of ground chicken they sell in the supermarket but just in a tube, they ain't. This is a whole different level of goo. It's like a chicken smoothie. There is a reason it's .88 cents a pound. My advice, avoid at all costs.
Last edited by midget_man on Jan 8th, 2020 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2013
2392 posts
17567 upvotes
That fact that a farm can house, feed, raise a chicken, kill it, process it, stuff it into these 1 pound tubes, sell it to No Frills and then have No Frills ship those tubes nationally across the country to sell to consumers for $0.88 still at a profit is an insane thing.

Think about all the corners that are being cut in making this meat... I'll stick with Costco. People wonder why our disease and cancer rates are going up.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2004
3930 posts
690 upvotes
Toronto
So are these just like those ground beef pork tubes? But just chicken?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2003
5335 posts
3149 upvotes
A Place to Stand
thephenom wrote: So are these just like those ground beef pork tubes? But just chicken?
Nope.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2019
4025 posts
6396 upvotes
This stuff is cheap, but I would only use it to mix in with other stuff. It just tastes bad, no matter what you do with it. I like chicken but this stuff doesn't even taste like it is. At least with the ground pork or beef tubes, it might be mush when you take it out of the package, but at still does tastes like pork or beef once you cook it up. I wouldn't buy this stuff at any price because it'll just end up getting thrown out.
Public Mobile customer: $40 75GB 5G Canada-US plan
EQ Bank Savings Plus Account
Wealthsimple Premium client
Neo Financial customer
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2009
1521 posts
3573 upvotes
Leverage wrote: That fact that a farm can house, feed, raise a chicken, kill it, process it, stuff it into these 1 pound tubes, sell it to No Frills and then have No Frills ship those tubes nationally across the country to sell to consumers for $0.88 still at a profit is an insane thing.

Think about all the corners that are being cut in making this meat... I'll stick with Costco. People wonder why our disease and cancer rates are going up.
They aren't doing that though. This stuff is the mechanically separated meat that is left over when the carcass is stripped of it's actual meat.
This stuff SHOULD be going into animal feed, but instead, they are now selling it to human beings.

It's probably just as healthy as the other chicken at No Frills, it's just . . . gross in theory.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 13, 2007
5058 posts
1279 upvotes
GTA
I use it to make dog food. For $0.88 it’s a no brainer.
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2018
1290 posts
12718 upvotes
Leverage wrote: That fact that a farm can house, feed, raise a chicken, kill it, process it, stuff it into these 1 pound tubes, sell it to No Frills and then have No Frills ship those tubes nationally across the country to sell to consumers for $0.88 still at a profit is an insane thing.

Part of that cost is subsidized.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 22, 2003
6429 posts
2211 upvotes
Ugh bought a few tubes already before seeing this thread
....what can I do with them then ?
Sep 22, 2018
227 posts
590 upvotes
Pyro wrote: Ugh bought a few tubes already before seeing this thread
Feed it to your dog or neighbors dog if you don't have one
Jan 2, 2018
74 posts
40 upvotes
GTA
MikoWilson wrote: They aren't doing that though. This stuff is the mechanically separated meat that is left over when the carcass is stripped of it's actual meat.
This stuff SHOULD be going into animal feed, but instead, they are now selling it to human beings.

It's probably just as healthy as the other chicken at No Frills, it's just . . . gross in theory.
Exactly. This is how the profit is made. Instead of throwing out the bones, the bones are passed through a separator to remove any residual meat left on during deboning. It's the same meat but the texture may be a bit different due to the process.
Aug 31, 2014
567 posts
910 upvotes
ontario
Pyro wrote: Ugh bought a few tubes already before seeing this thread
Leave it in the local park so you can be the next headline of local dog poisonings.
Oct 14, 2014
239 posts
524 upvotes
Halifax, NS
Kherani wrote: I use it to make dog food. For $0.88 it’s a no brainer.
Halal dog food - the irony is too much.
Jan 6, 2013
385 posts
774 upvotes
Toronto
midget_man wrote: If you've never had this stuff, be VERY cautious about what your expectations are. In a word, it's gross. So gross. It's not the consistency you think of when you think of ground chicken. It's like poultry slurry. I bought a bunch a long time ago when they were on sale for around the same price, and had a hard time getting through them. Still some buried in my freezer for the apocalypse, cannot think of another reason to cook these other than zombies. If you think these are just the trays of ground chicken they sell in the supermarket but just in a tube, they ain't. This is a whole different level of goo. It's like a chicken smoothie. There is a reason it's .88 cents a pound. My advice, avoid at all costs.
I don't think I've ever been turned off a deal as much as after having read this description. Taking it right off my Flipp list.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2007
1202 posts
206 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
i bought this to see how cheap it is. it's unappetizing out of the tube, literally pink slime. i loosely followed this recipe (https://www.saltandlavender.com/ultimat ... en-burger/)

1 lb chicken tube
2/3 cup breadcrumbs (i used panko)
2 tbsp mayo
3 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp dried oregano
1 tbsp dried chives
1 tsp dried parsley
salt and pepper (just by eye, couldn't "test")

mixed in a bowl
used a 1/2 cup measure to scoop out onto plastic wrap laid out on a cutting board or baking pan
flatten into patties. i made 3 and froze the rest, i think you can make 5 in total
lightly coat the top of patties with some panko breadcrumbs
flip the cookie sheet and remove the plastic wrap, coat the other side with breadcrumbs
without coating, the patties are quite wet. makes it easier to handle

with no grill and -10 outside, i baked them on foil in the oven 200C 15 minutes, turning at 10 min

i didn't expect much but they turned out quite tasty with a good texture. my picky gf liked them. it's funny how much this forum clamours over fast food deals but balks at cheap ingredients

i would buy more but no space in the freezer
Last edited by discostupid on Jan 9th, 2020 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 28, 2012
61 posts
76 upvotes
So it sounds like it's pretty much just MSM chicken. Good for dogs, I feed MSM chicken to both my dogs. One dog gets it raw (along with grinded chicken thighs and organs) and the other one is still young so he gets it cooked and mixed into his dry food.
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10930 posts
3663 upvotes
I bought one, haven't used it yet, was going to use it for tacos, surely with some taco seasoning this has to be ok, right?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)