Expired Hot Deals

[No Frills] Campbell's Soup $0.47, Carrots, Beets, Onions, Potatoes (10lb) $1.97, and Other Highlights - Sep 17-23 (Toronto Area)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 18th, 2020 7:07 pm
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
19476 posts
7596 upvotes
Toronto
I have to step in here and give a bad review for the carrots and beets. The carrots are past their freshness date long before they are bagged. Even in the fridge, they go bad very quickly. Stick with the individual carrots, pay a bit more and be able to select the good ones. The beets are often very tiny. A lot of effort is required to peel the skin.
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB
Fido $0.00/3GB+tablet, $5/4GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2019
2451 posts
3913 upvotes
will888 wrote: I have to step in here and give a bad review for the carrots and beets. The carrots are past their freshness date long before they are bagged. Even in the fridge, they go bad very quickly. Stick with the individual carrots, pay a bit more and be able to select the good ones. The beets are often very tiny. A lot of effort is required to peel the skin.
Don't stores also do that for baked goods? I realize that these days, everything is likely pre-packaged, but there was a day when a groceries stores "fresh" baked good where in bulk bns and you would help yourself. There would also be seperate bags of the same product, sometimes for a lower price per piece. Some of the tiime, people just don't want to have to spend the couple of minutes picking out the best baked good and just want to walk into the store quickly, pay, and then go home. Other times, it seems that the pre-bagged patteries could be yesterday's stuff.

I don't notice a difference in freshness, but at least at Walmart, the 10 lb bags of onions contain very small onions. No Frills would probably sell them as Naturally Imperfect.

@will888 Are you going to air fry a chicken with some of these veggies?
Public Mobile client: $60 calls/texts/12.5GB
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2007
4029 posts
4554 upvotes
GTA
Solsearchin1 wrote: Maybe dumb question, but can you freeze carrots or beets? Or is there a better way?
you'll need to blanch them first
Mar 20, 2006
345 posts
113 upvotes
I use frozen mixed veggies and sometimes pcs fall out of the bag in my freezer which don't look like the ones inside the bag. So I won't use just a frozen veggie by putting it the freezer. I once froze apple slices, banana and grapes once during my college life and they were awfully dehydrated when I thawed them :).
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2007
4029 posts
4554 upvotes
GTA
Solsearchin1 wrote: Maybe dumb question, but can you freeze carrots or beets? Or is there a better way?
if you don't think you can use the 10 pounds before they begin to spoil why don't you just give a portion to your neighbour(s)? ......... seeds of good karma
Deal Addict
May 30, 2010
1367 posts
837 upvotes
Kfox wrote: All good to know, thanks. But which chicken pie tastes better?
St. Hubert's taste better. The crust is flakier too. Quebecers have a love/hate relationship with St. Hubert, but they just hate Swiss Chalet. St. Hubert was making such an inroad into manufactured food that Cara ended up buying them. It shows in the taste and quality of the pies.