• Feb 22nd, 2021 11:24 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
4564 posts
1059 upvotes
Richmond Hill

[No Frills] Chicken Legs $0.70/lb Huge YMMV

Was at the Oak Ridges No Frills (13071 Yonge St) yesterday evening. Saw that all the $1/lb chicken legs were reduced by 30%, effectively $0.70/lb.

Best before date is Feb 20.

They were still restocking from the back, so I am assuming that they have an excess for the $1 sale and trying to clear them out by tomorrow.

Huge YMMV as I'm not sure if other stores have something similar.

I picked up as many as I could fit in my freezer. Will be deboning, making stock, etc.
21 replies
Oct 19, 2009
296 posts
188 upvotes
is there a chicken leg pricing war going on right now? T&T ontario is having chicken leg on sale for $.99 too. Food Basic has that price a couple of weeks ago.
Jun 13, 2017
71 posts
166 upvotes
From my past experience with chicken at no frills, the 30% off ones already smell pretty bad.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
4564 posts
1059 upvotes
Richmond Hill
tsmswifty wrote: From my past experience with chicken at no frills, the 30% off ones already smell pretty bad.
Mine were all fine. I guess obvious signs before purchase would be colour and feel (can't really smell through the packaging).
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2003
1278 posts
442 upvotes
YVR
send them out west
To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2012
1056 posts
631 upvotes
BC
Charles wrote: send them out west
It's on sale tomorrow at $1/lbs in the West

Sorry my bad... It's a frozen box on sale...
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2003
1278 posts
442 upvotes
YVR
muffin4life wrote: It's on sale tomorrow at $1/lbs in the West

thanks...i like to freeze them in usable packages..not sure if its a bon idea to thaw/refreeze mr/feathers/
To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2006
1302 posts
224 upvotes
Lol I would suggest to avoid any that you can smell through the packaging..
enwhyRFD wrote: Mine were all fine. I guess obvious signs before purchase would be colour and feel (can't really smell through the packaging).
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
27084 posts
6516 upvotes
Hamilton
Can you believe the chicken feet’s are like 2.99lb now
$35/10GB Koodo
$120/3Months PM
Jan 30, 2010
786 posts
373 upvotes
North Battleford
muffin4life wrote: It's on sale tomorrow at $1/lbs in the West

Don't the West sales start Friday?
Deal Addict
May 8, 2004
3492 posts
974 upvotes
Toronto
yao416 wrote: Can you believe the chicken feet’s are like 2.99lb now
Dang that’s almost the price for steak.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2009
1543 posts
178 upvotes
Oakville
eforblue wrote: T&T ontario is having chicken leg on sale for $.99 too.
T&T have them for this price approximately once per 6-8 weeks approximately...
Nov 1, 2016
958 posts
1070 upvotes
Toronto
30% discount sticker on the $1/lb chicken legs at the No Frills on Pacific Ave location(Toronto - Junction area). Saw at least 5-6 packs with that discount.
Deal Guru
Nov 27, 2005
11830 posts
1585 upvotes
Toronto
eforblue wrote: is there a chicken leg pricing war going on right now? T&T ontario is having chicken leg on sale for $.99 too. Food Basic has that price a couple of weeks ago.
There's always a Chinese grocery store somewhere with cheap chicken legs on any given day. I just took at look a random one and what do you know? $0.88/lb
https://www.foodyworld.ca/wp-content/up ... 211-01.jpg

Here's another one
http://www.sunnysupermarket.com/flyer/DS1.jpg

It's the standard loss leader for Chinese grocery stores.
Nov 1, 2016
958 posts
1070 upvotes
Toronto
board123 wrote: There's always a Chinese grocery store somewhere with cheap chicken legs on any given day. I just took at look a random one and what do you know? $0.88/lb
https://www.foodyworld.ca/wp-content/up ... 211-01.jpg

Here's another one
http://www.sunnysupermarket.com/flyer/DS1.jpg

It's the standard loss leader for Chinese grocery stores.
I noticed with these sales at Chinese stores are that they almost always never trim off the excess fat so you are just paying for the excess that you don't need and will have more work to do at home.

But the upside is that they are often on sale more than No Frills and other competitors.
Deal Guru
Nov 27, 2005
11830 posts
1585 upvotes
Toronto
crayola1 wrote: I noticed with these sales at Chinese stores are that they almost always never trim off the excess fat so you are just paying for the excess that you don't need and will have more work to do at home.

But the upside is that they are often on sale more than No Frills and other competitors.
It depends on the batch, I guess. Most of the chicken I get from these deals don't have too much excess fat. Probably no more than 5% of total weight.
Nov 1, 2015
928 posts
838 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
crayola1 wrote: I noticed with these sales at Chinese stores are that they almost always never trim off the excess fat so you are just paying for the excess that you don't need and will have more work to do at home.

Calories are calories. Gotta feed my kids somehow.
Oct 19, 2009
296 posts
188 upvotes

Trim off the excess fat yourself and make chick oil. Use it for cooking and it will add tons of flavor.

Nov 1, 2016
958 posts
1070 upvotes
Toronto
eforblue wrote: Trim off the excess fat yourself and make chick oil. Use it for cooking and it will add tons of flavor.

Mmmm...chicharrones